?
Report 12 years ago
absolutely
superdillon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
laura, business law is a good option. International law, i guess is a subject that you should probably do if you are interested in the area.
I have heard that people have enjoyed the module overall, so if you are interested go for it.
echo2000
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I am about to enter QM for Law- thought I might as well ask here- if I, say, plan to go into corporate law in the future then should i choose modules according to that? Later on would employers ask me what I had chosen or how important is that at an LLB level? Thanks
Lush Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by echo2000)
I am about to enter QM for Law- thought I might as well ask here- if I, say, plan to go into corporate law in the future then should i choose modules according to that? Later on would employers ask me what I had chosen or how important is that at an LLB level? Thanks
Taking specific modules that might relate to your future area of practice is not essential, but it would probably help. I didn't choose to do Commercial Law in 2nd year and chose Child instead, but recently I've heard good things about Commercial firms and commercial areas of law from friends who have done internships, so it's something I'll consider myself now.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by echo2000)
If I were a recruiter at a commercial firm and saw you applying saying you planned to go inot corporate law etc, then looked at your module choices and saw things like family law, I would bin your application.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is Family a well-paid area of law to go into? I'm thinking about what area I wanna go into. I want to be well paid, I need to maintain my nice lifestyle.
BarristerBarista
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
The short answer is no. Corporate law is the way to go if you want to make a lot of money.
litispendence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Obviously family lawyers earn far less than corporate... but they do well enough for themselves if in private practice from what I've seen! This doesn't seem to be so much the case for legal aid lawyers.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BarristerBarista)
The short answer is no. Corporate law is the way to go if you want to make a lot of money.
**** I'm not doing Commercial Law next year. Don't think I can do it in 3rd year either, but I can do Company Law in 3rd year, would that suffice?
Ethereal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RR)
**** I'm not doing Commercial Law next year. Don't think I can do it in 3rd year either, but I can do Company Law in 3rd year, would that suffice?
You should practice the area of law that most interests you, not which earns most.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
You should practice the area of law that most interests you, not which earns most.
Hmm maybe but I have to maintain my nice lifestyle, my parents are millionaires. Wish I hadnt been so spoilt.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RR)
Hmm maybe but I have to maintain my nice lifestyle, my parents are millionaires. Wish I hadnt been so spoilt.
So embezle :p:
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So embezle :p:
lol perhaps. Don't suppose I'll have any chance of scooping a rich wife either. I reckon I'll need at leadt £120,000 annually to fuel my spending habits and party lifestyle :eek:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RR)
lol perhaps. Don't suppose I'll have any chance of scooping a rich wife either. I reckon I'll need at leadt £120,000 annually to fuel my spending habits and party lifestyle :eek:
I'm so glad I grew up poor
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm so glad I grew up poor
I wish I'd grown up with less, I've already travelled the world and I've only just turned 19. It's crazy.

You'll appreciate all the nice stuff you have in the future so much more than I will.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
(Original post by RR)
I wish I'd grown up with less, I've already travelled the world and I've only just turned 19. It's crazy.

You'll appreciate all the nice stuff you have in the future so much more than I will.
I also won't spend a lot on useless stuff. I wore hand me downs til I was 9 lol. *plays Hovis tune* When I were a lad .....
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If ur a partner and can charge £175 per hour in your own firm rather than having your firm charge £500+ for you then salarying you, you will earn a mint in family etc on the high street. Of course I dont know what partner salaries are like in "commercial" type firms, and it will depnd on being an equity/asset partner, or on being how senior, how quickly you make partner and your levels of expertise. But if you can charge that much per hour personally and you get loads of chargeable hours you wil make a mjint.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?