The Student Room Group

Can we talk about the 40% PGCE drop out rate? Anyone here dropped out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by m4ths/maths247
More than happy to contribute to a discussion on it.
~43/44% of pupils don't obtain a C grade or higher in GCSE maths nationally.
I firmly believe that a maths degree isn't the prerequisite for finding people to change this.
Basic maths, the correct motivation, discipline and a can do attitude from teachers of people rather is IMO/IME what can change this.
The problem is for many of these people a lack of maths degree is stopping them make the change.
Poor teachers with poor qualifications is not what I'm advocating. It's string teachers and roll models who are willing to develop subject knowledge on the job whilst still teaching lower level work to kids.
Where does group analysis help when you have a group of year 11s on E/F grades 3 months from their final GCSEs when their target is a C?
People with strong teaching skills are what is required, degree or not.

Cool. I'll just quote you in a new thread so as not to derail this one. :smile:
Original post by FilmExpert
Seems this way to me too. You could literally be stuck on the lowest pay scale for years, and there's nothing to say otherwise. Incredibly depressing thought.

Yup. I wonder quite how you are feeling now, after seeking information in your thread. What is your conclusion so far?
Reply 202
This is the first I'm hearing of this, can you please elaborate?

edit, found this -

Just to clarify - so before this date, the pay scale was based on an objective measurement (experience in years) and now it's based on a subjective measurement (opinion on teachers performance). Right?

Isn't that a little unfair? Couldn't a school, wanting to save money, essentially lie, and say they believe a teacher is not performing well enough to go up the pay scale?

As well as all the issues stated above there is the other problem. Let's say all these judgements about performance made by schools (another thing which they have to spend time on instead of teaching) were somehow very accurate, and so schools could use these assessments when hiring teachers. In that case, what's to stop poor schools in poor areas hiring cheaper, worse teachers, leading to worse teaching and the school getting even worse.... so essentially, whether they use an accurate measurement or not, there are huge flaws in the setup.

xxx
Reply 203
Teaching like all jobs has its good parts and bad parts. I teach at what could be described as a tough school - the amount of students on free school meals is much higher than the national average, there was an Ofsted inspection last year where we got the worst grading possible mostly because of management and behaviour. The only reason I get up and do this everyday is because of the kids - I like interacting with them and making a difference to their lives, no matter how small. It is very difficult to maintain a positive attitude though, especially at the moment. The amount of observations have increased significantly - a senior manager might walk into your class at just the wrong moment and then it's your fault if kids are not on task. The amount of progress a child has to make is also being raised, I have a form group who are stuck in the middle of these changes and really feel for them. As one said to me the other day 'Miss, why do I have to do all these extra exams when my sister didn't have to?' The focus has completely shifted onto literacy, numeracy and learning facts. Yes, all these things are important but so is creativity and the chance to enjoy your childhood rather than feeling like a statistic with continuous targets from a young age. There is a lot of politics and restructuring since we turned into an academy, so the atmosphere is one of fear and uncertainty. People are scared to talk honestly unless somebody passes the comments onto senior management. People higher up in management are all scared because the Ofsted gradings were changed and if they are found to not be good enough they will be forced out, either directly or will be given such an unpleasant time that they eventually give in. Some academy bodies are increasingly turning to Teach First, take high flying grads into a school who are young with no family commitments. These workers will jump through all the hoops for a fixed period of time, then if/when they leave to pursue other careers the school can just replace them with another crop. Only do this if you are happy to have no life outside school for at least the first 3 years and are happy to suck up to people in senior management, whether you like/respect them or not.
Thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread. I'm currently doing a PGCE and it is nice to hear some more "inside views" as obviously the picture is bright and fluffy from the outside.
I'm not officially aware of the exact figures for Primary but, being in it full time, I would suggest it is the same if not a little higher as you have responsibility for an entire class for every subject in addition to the pastoral side of the job. There's a lot more pit falls I would say.
Original post by hm76
Teaching like all jobs has its good parts and bad parts. I teach at what could be described as a tough school - the amount of students on free school meals is much higher than the national average, there was an Ofsted inspection last year where we got the worst grading possible mostly because of management and behaviour. The only reason I get up and do this everyday is because of the kids - I like interacting with them and making a difference to their lives, no matter how small. It is very difficult to maintain a positive attitude though, especially at the moment. The amount of observations have increased significantly - a senior manager might walk into your class at just the wrong moment and then it's your fault if kids are not on task. The amount of progress a child has to make is also being raised, I have a form group who are stuck in the middle of these changes and really feel for them. As one said to me the other day 'Miss, why do I have to do all these extra exams when my sister didn't have to?' The focus has completely shifted onto literacy, numeracy and learning facts. Yes, all these things are important but so is creativity and the chance to enjoy your childhood rather than feeling like a statistic with continuous targets from a young age. There is a lot of politics and restructuring since we turned into an academy, so the atmosphere is one of fear and uncertainty. People are scared to talk honestly unless somebody passes the comments onto senior management. People higher up in management are all scared because the Ofsted gradings were changed and if they are found to not be good enough they will be forced out, either directly or will be given such an unpleasant time that they eventually give in. Some academy bodies are increasingly turning to Teach First, take high flying grads into a school who are young with no family commitments. These workers will jump through all the hoops for a fixed period of time, then if/when they leave to pursue other careers the school can just replace them with another crop. Only do this if you are happy to have no life outside school for at least the first 3 years and are happy to suck up to people in senior management, whether you like/respect them or not.
My god, if it weren't for the fact that you are in a tough school, I'd have thought this was me posting. I can confirm everything you say, everything. The observation thing especially hits home for me - we are having a full departmental review this week - and it feels like teaching has suddenly become a spectator sport. Big Brother is watching you at all times. Welcome to TSR. You sound like a sister.
Original post by WanderingRanger
I'm not officially aware of the exact figures for Primary but, being in it full time, I would suggest it is the same if not a little higher as you have responsibility for an entire class for every subject in addition to the pastoral side of the job. There's a lot more pit falls I would say.

I think we all feel the same stresses in a variety of forms, wherever we are teaching. Welcome to TSR. I'm just amazed at all these teachers posting on this thread for the first time. At last, it's not just me, Mr M and Tenofthem!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yup. I wonder quite how you are feeling now, after seeking information in your thread. What is your conclusion so far?

It's incredibly difficult. Like a lot of my friends, and applicants on here, I've been unemployed and job-hopping for years since I graduated. I do feel like teaching is the only way I am going to get any sort of job stability in my life.

But I wonder if I enjoy teaching enough. Sometimes I feel I'm in denial, like I'm convincing myself that I enjoy teaching, because I know it's the only option I have left.

Money is a motivator for me, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't one of the deciding factors. I want to be earning more than a teachers average salary, in my lifetime. I want to buy a house and start a family and not be worried about money or work all the time. My parents both used to earn about the same salary as a teacher, and I've seen them put work before family, and I've seen our family struggle financially. So I wonder how I will cope. The only thing I can think, is that maybe I shall just not have children.

I think I am going to take the attitude that someone posted earlier in this thread: 'It's only a year of your life, just try it, and see.' It's either I do that, or I sit around being unemployed or working low-pay jobs for another year. I don't think I will drop out of the PGCE. In fact, I am almost certain I won't, because I get a 4K bursary, and knowing that the remainder 5K of my money (even if it's a student loan) is going towards it, is enough motivation to keep me on the course. But I cannot say for sure what will happen afterwards.

It seems every other graduate I know, is doing, has done, or is considering, a PGCE. I wonder if in the future, the teaching profession will be over-saturated with PGCE graduates, if it isn't starting to head that way already...
(edited 10 years ago)
At last, it's not just me, Mr M and Tenofthem!

It's not an accident - I mentioned this thread on the TES Opinion Forum and some people were sufficiently interested to take a look for themselves.
It's incredibly difficult. Like a lot of my friends, and applicants on here, I've been unemployed and job-hopping for years since I graduated. I do feel like teaching is the only way I am going to get any sort of job stability in my life.

But I wonder if I enjoy teaching enough. Sometimes I feel I'm in denial, like I'm convincing myself that I enjoy teaching, because I know it's the only option I have left.

Money is a motivator for me, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't one of the deciding factors. I want to be earning more than a teachers average salary, in my lifetime. I want to buy a house and start a family and not be worried about money or work all the time. My parents both used to earn about the same salary as a teacher, and I've seen them put work before family, and I've seen our family struggle financially. So I wonder how I will cope. The only thing I can think, is that maybe I shall just not have children.

I think I am going to take the attitude that someone posted earlier in this thread: 'It's only a year of your life, just try it, and see.' It's either I do that, or I sit around being unemployed or working low-pay jobs for another year. I don't think I will drop out of the PGCE. In fact, I am almost certain I won't, because I get a 4K bursary, and knowing that the remainder 5K of my money (even if it's a student loan) is going towards it, is enough motivation to keep me going to graduate with the PGCE. But I cannot say for sure what will happen afterwards.

It seems every other graduate I know, is doing, has done, or is considering, a PGCE. I wonder if in the future, the teaching profession will be over-saturated with PGCE graduates, if it isn't starting to head that way already...

I think you'll just have to go in with your eyes open and see. Yes, there seems to be a bit of a glut of graduates on the market so teaching seems an attractive option, but getting jobs isn't quite as straightforward as people would think. As for money, well I haven't found it especially bad. I'm married to another teacher, we have 2 kids and quite a big house and we can afford to retire early, so that doesn't seem all that terrible, but I guess it depends what your wants are. As things are changing, it's hard to tell what your generation will end up with, but then that's true of many jobs. At least there will always be children who need educating.
Original post by Mr M
It's not an accident - I mentioned this thread on the TES Opinion Forum and some people were sufficiently interested to take a look for themselves.

Aaah! I see! Well, more power to your elbow!
Reply 212
Thank you for sharing! I also agree, the TES forums were a real eye-opener for me, particularly about pay scales etc. I had no idea about a lot of the issues, until I read their forums, and it really made me rethink my decisions when applying.

May I ask what you were doing before you became a teacher?

Yes, I read TES in detail before I applied too and felt it was good to have that background. I went into accountancy after uni. I couldn't decide between teaching or ACA (my degree was geography), but at the time (1989) the National Curriculum was just coming in and teachers I spoke to were extremely unimpressed. I figured I'd give accountancy a go and then re-train later if that wasn't for me. To be honest there have been pros and cons to both careers, but I always felt that accountancy was pretty pointless whereas I have never felt that way about teaching, even on the difficult days. Sometimes you feel frustrated that you can't make enough of a difference, but that's not the same as something being a waste of time. And you never clock watch - the working day flies by. For me teaching is certainly not as hard going as it was when I started out, so if you are really committed and can get through the first few years it can be an awesome career. But in the beginning it is pretty tough - I felt it was similar to learning to drive - so many skills that you need to be doing automatically to be competent - so many hazards to negotiate! I hope my earlier post wasn't too negative. I don't regret my career change - just strongly feel that the children deserve to be taught by people who go into the profession for the right reasons, with eyes wide open. The high PGCE drop out rate is probably more a function of the wrong people embarking on the course in the first place - and the heavy workload - combining placements and assignments can be hard going - especially if you're coming straight from an undergrad course where you've had a lot of unstructured time. If you go into teaching with a keen and open mind and are ready to learn from your mistakes and to take advice, you should do well - good luck!
Original post by hm76

Why do people always highlight the amount of kids on free meals?
Original post by Juichiro

It's the easiest socio-economic indicator available.
Original post by Juichiro

There is a huge gap between the national attainment of students who claim or used to claim free school meals and non FSM students. This is why the Pupil Premium was introduced. Every school gets an additional £900 for each Pupil Premium student and there is high accountability for the use of this funding.
Reply 216

Really? That surprises me actually. On my course of about 120, I only know one other person planning on going into teaching. And the usual reaction I get is that I'm wasting my degree.
Original post by tory88
Really? That surprises me actually. On my course of about 120, I only know one other person planning on going into teaching. And the usual reaction I get is that I'm wasting my degree.

This is because you are currently still doing your degree. They are yet to experience the graduate job market.

When I was doing my degree 0 people I knew were planning on going into teaching.

We graduated a few years ago. Now I know, 9 teachers, 2 on PGCEs, 2 applying this year and a few others who are considering it for next year. None of these people ever expressed any interest in teaching whilst at uni.

You'll see.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 218
What brings you here?

Someone posted a link to this thread on TES and so I popped over to take a look and thiought I'd like to contribute.
Original post by maskofsanity
Why is that so bad? Have you seen what doctors put up with? Or police officers or lawyers or nurses? They cope with far worse abuse and from adults not children. I've decided not to enter teaching for other reasons but challenging behaviour was certainly never one of them. It's part of any public service job and at least in teaching the source of it is children who you can discipline.

I've been following your posts in this discussion and two questions occur to me:

(i) Why did you decide not to enter the teaching profession?

(ii) What is your occupation?

Incidentally, to dignify internet forum discussion as 'debate' is to dress a chimp in a tutu.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending