The Student Room Group

Can we talk about the 40% PGCE drop out rate? Anyone here dropped out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Shelly_x
Speaking as someone who went into teacher training with this mindset, I have some advice. Be prepared for criticism. A LOT of criticism. You reallyyy need to be able to roll with the punches, especially in the first term. Be prepared for just how tired you will feel. I don't think you can actually fully anticipate how much the things you've mentioned will affect you physically and mentally until you've experienced it. Sure you can be aware of it, but the reality doesn't hit until you have to teach lessons when you're feeling knackered and knowing that when you get your feedback you're going to be pulled up on every little thing you did wrong and questioned on why it was wrong and how it could be better.
Seriously, it is exhausting.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely bear it in mind. I'm hoping that I won't take criticism to heart in a way the affects me negatively, but I can't really know until I've experienced it.
Original post by Mr M
Dangerously exhausting. When driving in my NQT year, I can remember making a number of poor decisions at junctions that should have been enough to tell me to get off the road. One of my colleagues was so tired driving home just before Christmas in his NQT year that he fell asleep at traffic lights and awoke to find his car surrounded by people who thought he had had a heart attack and died.

Woah! :eek:
Original post by zterpzterp
To be totally honest my motivations probably come mostly from the fact that there are so few graduate opportunities available to me, I have a high 2.1 undergraduate in languages and an MA and I have absolutely no idea what I want to do if it isn't teaching. The fact that most of my fellow undergrads are either in very poorly paid work, unemployed or work as teachers made me think that perhaps the latter would be an okay option but I'm increasingly realising that teaching may not be for me.

Could have written this exact post, just replaced languages degree & MA with media for me.

Teaching is also quite poorly paid. It requires more qualifications, and has a pay scale, so you feel like you're progressing somewhere 'up the career ladder', rather than in a dead end job. But the top of the teaching pay scale (M6) is still low-pay (31K, or 23.8K after tax, band D). & reading the comments on TES.co.uk, some people there were teaching 10+ years and didn't even hit the upper pay scales yet.

I wouldn't go into it as an alternative to other low pay jobs, because teaching is a low pay job, for what you do. I think you definitely need to have some enjoyment in teaching, if you don't want to become part of that 40% statistic. Reading some of the replies here has just confirmed that for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 103
Hi, I have read most of this thread. I did a PGCE 5 years ago, aged 40. It was tough, as were the first few years, particularly given that there were no jobs around anyway. The job continues to be tough too (in primary) - physically and mentally exhausting. It has its rewards, obviously, but after 5 years doing something I wanted to do most of my life, I am increasingly tired, cynical, bored and ready to consider other employment options. I have cut down to a 3 day week in an attempt to have an acceptable work-life balance, but now find I do 80% of a job for 60% of the pay and minimal satisfaction. Many teachers find they end up neglecting their own kids in order to do the job properly. If you are serious about teaching, get on the TES forums and do your research so that you know exactly what you are going into.
Original post by FilmExpert
Could have written this exact post, just replaced languages degree & MA with media for me.

Teaching is also quite poorly paid. It requires more qualifications, and has a pay scale, so you feel like you're progressing somewhere 'up the career ladder', rather than in a dead end job. But the top of the teaching pay scale (M6) is still low-pay (31K, or 23.8K after tax, band D). & reading the comments on TES.co.uk, some people there were teaching 10+ years and didn't even hit the upper pay scales yet.

I wouldn't go into it as an alternative to other low pay jobs, because teaching is a low pay job, for what you do. I think you definitely need to have some enjoyment in teaching, if you don't want to become part of that 40% statistic. Reading some of the replies here has just confirmed that for me.

I am guessing people just look at it as in "it's a job that pays higher than most of those currently available and it's more stable". Anyway, it's not the best mindset to have. :frown:
Think of the children.
Yesterday I did a lesson observation in some MFL classes at a reasonably good school ranked 'outstanding' by Ofsted and in each lesson, bar one Year 7 lesson, teachers were insulted, sworn at and asked nastily why they should be learning what they are learning. No one should have to put up with that.

Why is that so bad? Have you seen what doctors put up with? Or police officers or lawyers or nurses? They cope with far worse abuse and from adults not children. I've decided not to enter teaching for other reasons but challenging behaviour was certainly never one of them. It's part of any public service job and at least in teaching the source of it is children who you can discipline.
teaching is a low pay job, for what you do.

No it's not.

Working in a call centre is a low paid job for what you do. Being a teacher is challenging but has a purpose in society, with a much higher starting salary and potential earnings.
Original post by Mr M
Dangerously exhausting. When driving in my NQT year, I can remember making a number of poor decisions at junctions that should have been enough to tell me to get off the road. One of my colleagues was so tired driving home just before Christmas in his NQT year that he fell asleep at traffic lights and awoke to find his car surrounded by people who thought he had had a heart attack and died.

Yep this keeps happening to me. I have a 40 minute commute to my school and have to strain to keep my eyes open. Many a time I have swerved and just caught myself before something happened.
Wow, this thread has been really popular. It's been interesting to read different perspectives on this.

I'm an NQT and finding things pretty tough, working pretty much all the time, struggling to get everything I need to do done. But I get the impression this is fairly typical and I haven't considered dropping out.

I found out this weekend that a friend from the PGCE quit their NQT job in October because they were having panic attacks, not sleeping, not eating, losing a stone in a few weeks, and going off with stress. Having a breakdown like this is clearly something you can't fully control and I think this is one of the main reasons people leave. If I was crying all the time and panicking about going to school, I would definitely leave. But so far I haven't felt like that.

I'm trusting that over time I will get better at managing the workload and have more time for myself (I always get enough sleep and eat properly, but in the week I rarely have any time to just relax and do something fun) and this needs to happen because if I continue like this for several years I'm pretty sure I will burn out too. But colleagues with just a couple of years more experience than me seem to have a social life, go away for occasional weekends and generally have free time. They still work a lot, but it's more like a couple of hours work each evening, maybe marking with the TV on, rather than frantically planning lessons until 10pm.

I can certainly see why people drop out, because if I'm still having to work this much in 3 years time, I probably will too.

It's literally just the workload that would make me want to quit - the kids don't get me down that much. I've got a few difficult groups (especially bottom set Y8 and Y9) who don't want to do my subject and are very vocal about it, but they are outnumbered by the ones which are generally OK.
Original post by maskofsanity
No it's not.

Working in a call centre is a low paid job for what you do. Being a teacher is challenging but has a purpose in society, with a much higher starting salary and potential earnings.

Just my opinion. Been working as a TA. When working in a call centre, you don't bring the work home with you once your hours are up.

Preparing lessons etc. invades my home and non-work life. £350 a week, post tax. Divide that £350 by the number of hours inside and outside the classroom that I spend on my job, and I bet it's below minimum wage.

I know, that, if I want, I can just be a totally crap teacher and not prepare lessons properly, or get my students to mark their own work during class, or be like any of those other p*** poor excuses for teachers I've seen whilst being a TA. But I want to be a better teacher than that. I hope I can be a better teacher than that. Again, just my opinion.
Reply 110
Original post by tory88
Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely bear it in mind. I'm hoping that I won't take criticism to heart in a way the affects me negatively, but I can't really know until I've experienced it.

Yeah it is just hard. Even if you completely agree with the criticism given it's hard as a human to handle it, especially when you care so much about being a good teacher. But for me it's more of an in the moment thing. When I was exhausted and worried and then got bad feedback (though it was always stuff I self identified anyway) I felt like crying and did sometimes! But then when I'd had some sleep, eaten well, felt a bit more in control, I felt very positive about making improvements based on those criticisms. So really it's just a case of not letting yourself be completely put off just because you feel really bad on occasion, and understanding that everyone feels like that sometimes and it's ok to vent that emotion!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is that so bad? Have you seen what doctors put up with? Or police officers or lawyers or nurses? They cope with far worse abuse and from adults not children. I've decided not to enter teaching for other reasons but challenging behaviour was certainly never one of them. It's part of any public service job and at least in teaching the source of it is children who you can discipline.

Absolute nonsense. Police officers have the power to arrest you over next to nothing, if you a GP takes a dislike to you then he can ensure that he never sees you again. Teachers are physically assaulted and kids come back into the classroom.
What I've noticed above all whilst being on my PGCE is that now it's no longer about the pupils, it's about the teachers covering their own backs in case Ofsted come in and give them an unsatisfactory. Engaging pupils and getting them interested in all aspects of your subject has taken a back seat to ensuring the able kids get their A's and B's and the not so able kids get their C's-E's through purely teaching for the exam. In English for example, having a lesson just reading through a novel and discussing it isn't considered good practice, where's the written progress? Where's the starter and plenary? It's seen as wasting time that could be spent on saying 'this is what you need to pass your exams at the end of this half term or term and this is what I'm going to spoon feed you for it'. Teachers are rushing through lessons to cover everything they have to, planning and thought about lessons are minimal, marking is to tick boxes and rarely diagnostic and fingers are only pulled out when there's a faculty review or the impending threat of Ofsted. Teachers are scared, fed up and overworked. This is what I've observed so far for the most part.
Just my opinion. Been working as a TA. When working in a call centre, you don't bring the work home with you once your hours are up.

Preparing lessons etc. invades my home and non-work life. £350 a week, post tax. Divide that £350 by the number of hours inside and outside the classroom that I spend on my job, and I bet it's below minimum wage.

I know, that, if I want, I can just be a totally crap teacher and not prepare lessons properly, or get my students to mark their own work during class, or be like any of those other p*** poor excuses for teachers I've seen whilst being a TA. But I want to be a better teacher than that. I hope I can be a better teacher than that. Again, just my opinion.

It's not really subjective though - the pay is objectively good relative to other graduate jobs with the same requirements and certainly relative to all jobs available. You work harder than someone in a call centre but you get paid more.

That work outside your set hours is made up for by relatively longer holiday time. Taking your work home with you is what makes a public service job attractive - it has meaning. It's not just a shift that you want to end and forget about. That's what adds value to a teaching position compared to working in a call centre where, yes, you don't take your work home with you, but that's part of the problem - it is absolutely soul-crushing, pointless, mundane work. It is not even comparable to being a teacher, both in pecuniary and non-pecuniary terms, where upwards progression, future earnings, purpose, prestige, self-fulfilment, etc. are all far beyond that of a call centre worker.

Exactly - you have motivation and desire to contribute to society. That kind of drive will only be found in these important jobs, not in call centres or other low paid work which you are trying to equate teaching to.
It's not really subjective though - the pay is objectively good relative to other graduate jobs with the same requirements and certainly relative to all jobs available. You work harder than someone in a call centre but you get paid more.

That work outside your set hours is made up for by relatively longer holiday time. Taking your work home with you is what makes a public service job attractive - it has meaning. It's not just a shift that you want to end and forget about. That's what adds value to a teaching position compared to working in a call centre where, yes, you don't take your work home with you, but that's part of the problem - it is absolutely soul-crushing, pointless, mundane work. It is not even comparable to being a teacher, both in pecuniary and non-pecuniary terms, where upwards progression, future earnings, purpose, prestige, self-fulfilment, etc. are all far beyond that of a call centre worker.

Exactly - you have motivation and desire to contribute to society. That kind of drive will only be found in these important jobs, not in call centres or other low paid work which you are trying to equate teaching to.

Interesting that on this thread that this attitude is coming exclusively from non-teachers.
Absolute nonsense. Police officers have the power to arrest you over next to nothing, if you a GP takes a dislike to you then he can ensure that he never sees you again. Teachers are physically assaulted and kids come back into the classroom.

No they don't. And it's worth noting that assaulting a police officer is no more serious in legal terms than assaulting a general member of the public. Police officers are attacked far more than teachers and by adults with weapons not kids with pencils. Go and see what PSNI are up to for an extreme case.

Doctors and nurses in a hospital setting are subject to unbelievable abuse - swearing, spitting, assault. Have you ever experienced an A&E department on a Friday night from the perspective of a doctor? It is like walking into hell. I only did two days experience but it really opened my eyes to the resilience you have to have to TREAT people who are showing nothing but hate towards you, mostly while very drunk and out of control.
Interesting that on this thread that this attitude is coming exclusively from non-teachers.

It's not an opinion or attitude - it is the objective comparison of two jobs.
No they don't. And it's worth noting that assaulting a police officer is no more serious in legal terms than assaulting a general member of the public.

Legally this might be true but in reality it's nonsense. You attack a police officer and you get the book thrown at you, in fact it's more like - the police officer takes a dislike to you and instigates violence then alleges that you started it and then you get the book thrown at you.

My mother and other teachers I know have been told to shut up by senior management after being pushed over in schools by pupils.

There is zero comparison here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Am I unusual in that everyone I have ever met who has done a PGCE completed it?
Legally this might be true but in reality it's nonsense.

If you keep calling everything nonsense without any reasoning or evidence then it's just going to make you look more and more silly. Assault on a police officer carries very little punishment at all and is often not even progressed - I advise you have a look on the PoliceSpecials forum where the topic of punishment for assault on a police officer is raised frequently. The number of assaults is increasing massively because there is currently no deterrent - a police officer is attacked once every 27 minutes in the UK.

And nice job ignoring the rest of the post, just to confirm your weak position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending