The Student Room Group

Cancelled my place on LPC Course & now liable for tuition fees - Help appreciated!

Back in March 2013, I confirmed a place on an LPC course in the University of Law.
The confirmation email read :

'There is a 'cooling off' period during which you or the University may cancel the contract. Provided such cancellation occurs either within 11 days from the date of confirmation of your place* or before Day 1 of the course whichever is sooner:

You will not be liable for any course fees
The University will refund any course fees and deposit paid'

I interpreted this to mean I could defer my place one day before the course began and i would not be liable for course fees.

However, I later learnt (when asking to defer my place on the 15th August) I would be liable if i deferred after the 31st July.

Now the University of Law is telling me I owe £5,000 in tuition fees and I have also received a letter from a solicitors firm acting on the Universities behalf, requesting I pay asap.

Whilst I accept the terms and conditions do state I am liable, they are very unclear. I visited numerous open days and explicitly discussed with members of staff that i was considering cancelling or deferring and no one informed me of the deadline to do it by, instead i was assured the University was very flexible in this respect. I also have written evidence the course is not full so i have not wasted a space on the course, nor was i applying for accommodation so have not taken a room either.

I have since received a email from the University informing me they have cancelled my place.

ADVICE PLEASE:
- Does anyone have any experience of this happening to them?
- Is the University likely to take this to Court or is it just scare tactics?
- If I don't pay the fees will it have any implications on me later on?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending