The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni and reapplying

I have a few questions regarding this subject:
The process of dropping out?
How does it affect tuition/maintenance fees?
If i'm reapplying on Ucas will i need to include that in my application and would i need a reference from my current uni?
Is it possible to transfer uni/course?
How will it affect accommodation?
Would also appreciate anyone’s experiences about doing this as I’m really nervous
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Zyan265
I have a few questions regarding this subject:
The process of dropping out?
If i'm reapplying on Ucas will i need to include that in my application and would i need a reference from my current uni?
Is it possible to transfer uni/course?
How will it affect accommodation?
Would also appreciate anyone’s experiences about doing this as I’m really nervous

Hi there
1. You'd need to let your university know and probably do a little bit of paperwork
2. You will be liable for a part of this year's tution fees. As far as I aware, Student Finance will provide you funding for the intended duration of your course plus a "gift year". If you're in year 1, then this would count as your "gift year" and you should still be technically eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loan support. However, you're better off asking student finance themselves.
3. Yes, you'd need to declare it on the education section of UCAS and yes, you'll need a reference from your current university if you wish to apply to uni again
4. Generally, it is possible to switch uni or course, although it really depends on the uni or the course you wish to switch to. But broadly speaking, yes, it's a possibility!
5. It depends on the university, although I think in most cases it shouldn't affect your eligibility for accomodation.
point 3 - yes they will wanta reference from the uni you are leaving, either your personal tutor or course leader , so it;s worth havign a chat with them about

in the deep dark past i went from a STEM subject to Health Professiponal pre-reg, i got a lovely reference from my Personal tutor , in no small part becasue we'd kept the liens of communication open throughout the time i was at the first HEI and he understand that i was clerely an intelligent person who could cope with many things expcet it seems the maths required for successful engineering degree
Original post by Zyan265

If you leave now, you will pay 25% of the annual tuition fee. You would also be liable to repay a portion of your maintenance loan instalment immediately. For example, if your first term plus the Christmas break is 16 weeks but you leave after 10 weeks, then you would need to repay 6 weeks. So if you formally withdraw just before the start of next term, you won't need to repay any maintenance loan immediately.

Funding for a new degree is calculated as follows:

Length of new course (years) + 1 (gift) year - years of previous study.

If you withdraw part way through a year, it still counts as a full year of previous study.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending