The Student Room Group

How to put answers into detail?

I have problems with adding lots of detail to answers, especially in English Literature, I hardly add any detail and I end up getting an extremely low grade.
Can somebody please help me? I have a mock English literature exam tomorrow and could really do with some tips, many thanks.
I think the rule applies of PEE (Point, evidence, explanation).
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I think the rule applies of PEE (Point, evidence, explanation).

I do that, but I don't put enough detail in for example, if I'm describing Lennie from Of Mice and Men I could easily say:
Lennie is big and described as an animal, for example (quote)…. This explains how Lennie is an animal because John Steinbeck uses paws instead of hands.
Not enough detail :frown:
go all out
the examiner can't mark you down no matter what you put
just keep writing
keep reading on the relevant chapters and get yourself familiar with what the author or poet is trying to portray
good luck and don't stress yourself :smile:
Original post by arianagrandes
I do that, but I don't put enough detail in for example, if I'm describing Lennie from Of Mice and Men I could easily say:
Lennie is big and described as an animal, for example (quote)…. This explains how Lennie is an animal because John Steinbeck uses paws instead of hands.

You could go into specific details such as how you've come to that conclusion e.g. Another reason this metaphor may have been used to describe Lennie is through denotations as to show his lack of intelligence. The abnormality of his mental capacity may connote his inferiority to other humans whilst his physical ability show otherwise (apply quote to show where in the book it says Lennie to be strong). There's always stuff you can expand on. I'd attempt to try pick up on a few pieces of evidence for any one point made. This is to diversify your answer and really have strong analysis and evaluation points. The beauty of English is you can write practically any point as long as your reasoning is justifiable and backed with evidence.
Reply 5
I wouldn't agree more with Abdul-Krim but I would like to add more e.g. you can talk about how stein beck chooses precisely the characteristic he gives his character Lennie and how he earns the reader’s sympathy by making his character Lennie complete powerlessness in the face of the events that unfold. Lennie is totally defenceless. He cannot avoid the dangers presented by Curley, Curley’s wife, or the world at large etc.
Reply 6
You need to make your point, back it up with evidence and explain the effect of this and what impression it creates.

So if you're saying that Lennie is described as being big because he is described as having "paws" rather than hands, this is animal imagery, which could say a lot about his character.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/

The Required information you need to revise on and Explains more depth about the "characters", Plot , context and John Steinbeck
Reply 8
So, you know the context and you've thought carefully about the plot, characters and themes of the story - now it's time to think about how you might use all these ideas in the exam!

[h="1"]Preparation[/h]Have a go at planning and writing your answer away from the computer OR stick around and write your answer in the writing frame below.
Either way, remember that when you make a point, you need to support it with a quotation and then explain exactly how the quotation highlights what you want to show.
You are advised to spend 45 minutes on this part of the paper, so divide your time up like this:

Ten minutes planning your answer
Thirty minutes writing your answer
Five minutes checking your answer
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by pureandmodest
go all out
the examiner can't mark you down no matter what you put
just keep writing
keep reading on the relevant chapters and get yourself familiar with what the author or poet is trying to portray
good luck and don't stress yourself :smile:

Would this apply to my english language controlled assessment will the examiner or teacher in my case able to mark me down for whatever i write? e.g i write somet excellent and 1 paragraph is rubbish would i still get an excellent grade?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Usman17
Would this apply to my english language controlled assessment will the examiner or teacher in my case able to mark me down for whatever i write? e.g i write somet excellent and 1 paragraph is rubbish would i still get an excellent grade?

yeah, you can't get marked down :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by arianagrandes

Change what comes after the ellipsis to some analysis (different from just saying a is a because of "insert quote here". Instead say something like "this description of Lennie is used to emphasise how he is considered less than those who fulfil the American dream, instead Lennie is frequently dehumanised and placed on the fringe of society "insert quote about lennie being dehumanised here". The use of animalistic symbolism thought the novel is therefore used in a cliche manner that evokes a cynicism of the American dream because of the way it treats not just Lennon, but also other who cannot conform to its prerequisites. (Now you could use this to lead on to a new paragraph about the American dream itself or another character)

ps sorry if this is too late :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending