The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The first thing to do would be to ask your teacher for the textbooks for next year's specification, since if you don't have any knowledge of the A2 material then there's no point trying to go beyond that.
Also, try some Olympiad questions. (Search for Lusus Naturae - a user who is very active on the maths forum - and check his signature for a link to loads of them.)

They kind of refine your thinking skills. Maths isn't all about getting answers. Sometimes - a lot of the time - it's more than just "what do I do now".
Reply 3
generalebriety
Also, try some Olympiad questions. (Search for Lusus Naturae - a user who is very active on the maths forum - and check his signature for a link to loads of them.)

They kind of refine your thinking skills. Maths isn't all about getting answers. Sometimes - a lot of the time - it's more than just "what do I do now".

Beware, though, they are Tricky with a capital T. I'm going to do maths at university, but I've only ever completed a couple of them in my life; your mileage may vary, so don't get disheartened if you can't do them straight away. Difficult problems are good for the constitution.
Reply 4
generalebriety

Best to start are:

National and Regional Competitions > USA > AMC 12.

You should be able to do the first few on an AMC 12 quite easily and then it will progress in difficulty as the later questions come about.
Reply 5
Orizon
The first thing to do would be to ask your teacher for the textbooks for next year's specification, since if you don't have any knowledge of the A2 material then there's no point trying to go beyond that.

Yeah i have the textbooks and im working through them know. What i need is resources (notes,exam papers, doc.s). That will improve my knowledge/skills beyond the syllabus and give me a taster of what Advanced maths involves.

Thx for the Olympiad questions btw guys.

Latest