The Student Room Group

Engineering Mathematics

I have been accepted onto the mechanical engineering course at oxford Brookes this year. I come from an engineering apprenticeship background where my engineering knowledge/ practical skills may be decent but my mathematics are terrible compared to an A-level student. how can I improve my math's in this time to be ready for uni?
Reply 1
If you wanna look at the Maths from an A Level student perspective, look up TL Maths on Youtube, he covers almost all examboard/topics. If you look at the AQA syllabus, the topics are ordered in letters which is why his are ordered in letters too, in case it gets confusing.
Try Brilliant too and past maths exam papers (PMT.com)
Good luck !!
Original post by Jospeh2
I have been accepted onto the mechanical engineering course at oxford Brookes this year. I come from an engineering apprenticeship background where my engineering knowledge/ practical skills may be decent but my mathematics are terrible compared to an A-level student. how can I improve my math's in this time to be ready for uni?

Hi Joseph,

Congratulations on your offer and good to hear you are already thinking about what you'll need to do to be prepared for the course. If you are still looking for advice, I would also recommend sending us an email in Admissions ([email protected]) and asking if the Engineering faculty can recommend anything in particular to get you up to speed. They will be best placed to tell you, seeing as they are delivering the course, and we can forward your email on to the appropriate people. I hope this is helpful and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
If they have offered you a place they should have reasonable confidence you can manage the course, it's worth noting most university engineers come in with a background of A-level maths & physics so if you are at A-level standard you will probably be in a similar position to your cohort.

Year 1 of university is typically designed to cover a wide net in educational background so covers a little bit of A-level content in the first few weeks to ensure everyone is up to speed (but they will work through this far faster then in school).

Quick Reply

Latest