The Student Room Group

Do you eat ready meals?

I try to avoid them but when I do they tend to be from M+S. Though I'm guessing they're probably still full of crap despite the pretty packaging! What about you?

Scroll to see replies

Nah not really. Perhaps the odd Waitrose one once in a blue moon.

I just don't think they tate good, usually have too much salt in them (or sugar). It's not even so much the health aspect, so much as the taste.
No, I'm a very picky eater.
Moved to Food and Drink :smile:
Reply 4
No, I generally don't like foods that aren't freshly cooked or prepared. Also if I were to have a ready meal I much rather buy some bread and roast chicken from a supermarket delicatessen section.
Reply 5
Sometimes, I try to cook for myself more than I used to now. Takes longer and is not necessarily cheaper but it does taste better, is more rewarding and often healthier as I can control exactly what's gone into it. I've found that sainsburys basics lasagne is usually superior in quality to quite expensive ready meal lasagnes. Decent amount of meat, the sauce has a good balance between meaty and tomato flavours, and the lasagne sheets are not chewy or floury.
Reply 6
whatever i can find
Reply 7
Hardly ever. I usually opt for things like soup if I'm short on time because although I had a few ready meals last year at uni most of them didn't taste nice and I knew they were made with the lowest quality ingredients to make bigger profits. Also they are not good value for money as they can be quite expensive whilst still only weighing about 200/300g
Reply 8
No, full of fatty ****
Reply 9
Rarely now got put off over the whole horse meat scandal just cause you don't know what they put in them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
does buying instant rice every now and again count as ready meal?
Reply 11
Not much.
Reply 12
unless it's pizza, chips or battered cod, never.
Reply 13
There is nothing wrong with them from time to time. But normally its best to avoid them as they are more expensive if you made your own, which tastes better as well
I do occasionally if I'm pushed for time but I much prefer cooking for myself
Reply 15
Sometimes. I like the Sainsbury's ones.
Reply 16
No chance, I hate that crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brightcitylights
I try to avoid them but when I do they tend to be from M+S. Though I'm guessing they're probably still full of crap despite the pretty packaging! What about you?

It depends on how busy I am or what I'm doing.

My lunches at work vary. Sometimes I get freshly prepared food and sometimes a ready meal.

We have a M&S food right by the TSR office, so I'll sometimes go there and buy a ready meal - I like their king prawn linguine a lot!

Tonight as well, I've got a chicken korma from my local Coop which I'll eat soon. But we do usually do cook from scratch too.

It's good to have a mix of home cooked food and ready meals depending on what's happening!
Yeah, at least once a week when at uni. Some days I'm just so busy and tired that I can't cook. I mainly get ASDA's chosen for you ones or Tesco's cheap own brand ones. I don't really bother with looking at what's in it cause it tastes better than my cooking :P
Nooope, none of them preservatives and addatives for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest