The Student Room Group

Is Suarez reaching the levels of Messi and Ronaldo?

Poll

How do you currently rate Suarez among the greats?

He is becomingly increasingly unplayable this season. A true tormentor of defenders, and set for >30 league goals this season. Wouldn't be surprised if he surpassed Cole/Shearer's record of 34 goals in a single season.

So where would you rate Suarez right now? Is he close to being on par with Messi and Ronaldo? Or would you still group him with other brilliant (but not magnificent) players such as Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic, Falcao etc.?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Some of his goals are ridiculous tbh.. the technique and speed of his tricky feet are insane.
Reply 3
I'd group him with the other violent, cheating racists.
Reply 4
No. If he can keep it at this level until the end of the season then maybe he could be the best striker in the world, but I doubt he'll ever be on the level of Messi and CR7. As you'll know, those two will be untouchable by anyone other than Neymar in the coming years. He has the potential  to be fantastic, but I'd still put Falcao ahead of him right now.
He's definitely up there with them. Lets not forget they play in an easier league overall in terms of the quality range. I think Suarez would leave some defenders in tangled heaps if he were to play in La Liga. Some of them are really flat footed at lower level teams and struggle against the likes of Pedro etc. They'd have no chance against the footwork of Suarez.
Reply 6
Ronaldo is a winger and scores more goals, and before you point out the leagues, look at CL. 9 goals in 5 games in a very hard group. Last season CL top scorer with the hardest group..
maybe if he shines in UCL.I think if Suarez was playing in RMA instead of CR,he may even have surpassed Ronaldo....Not Messi though.
LOLOOLOLOL...ironically,If Suarez had not left Ajax,He would have had three years of UCL football already...:lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
No he isn't.

In the same way Falcao wasn't on the same level about a year ago.
In the same way Bale wasn't on the same level about seven months ago.
In the same way Ribery wasn't on the same level about six months ago.
In the same way Ibrahimovic wasn't on the same level about one month ago.
In the same way Diego Costa wasn't on the same level three weeks ago.
In the same way Aguero wasn't on the same level about two weeks ago.

When one of these '3rd best in the world contenders' can outscore Messi and Ronaldo, then they are not on the same level.

Ronaldo and Messi are the greatest ever. I don't think anyone will reach their level for a long, long time.
Original post by Clip
I'd group him with the other violent, cheating racists.

Haters gonna hate.
Honestly no he isn't. But tbh both Messi/Ronaldo play in La liga which makes it easier tbh. Some of the defending is shocking.

If Suarez played in la liga he would be even better than he is now and wouldn't be far off them if he maintains this form in the long run. He's in a group of players just underneath, the likes of Aguero, Ribery, Ibra, Falcao, etc, but I think he's at the top of that group with maybe one or two others.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by So Instinct
Haters gonna hate.

He cheats.
He dives.
He hates the Jackson 5.
Luis Suarez
Luis Suarez.
Original post by Manchester United
No he isn't.

In the same way Falcao wasn't on the same level about a year ago.
In the same way Bale wasn't on the same level about seven months ago.
In the same way Ribery wasn't on the same level about six months ago.
In the same way Ibrahimovic wasn't on the same level about one month ago.
In the same way Diego Costa wasn't on the same level three weeks ago.
In the same way Aguero wasn't on the same level about two weeks ago.

When one of these '3rd best in the world contenders' can outscore Messi and Ronaldo, then they are not on the same level.

Ronaldo and Messi are the greatest ever. I don't think anyone will reach their level for a long, long time.

I agree with you mostly. But tbh if they both played in the PL they wouldn't be as great as they are considered. They may be the best but they're still overrated anf the quality of defending by some teams in La Liga only helps them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Too early to decide, he certainly is in the second tier of great footballers which is the level below of Messi and Ronaldo.

I would rate him alongside Aguero, Ribery, Bale, Iniesta, Van Persie, Falcao, Cavani, Ibra etc....
Original post by Clip
He cheats.
He dives.
He hates the Jackson 5.
Luis Suarez
Luis Suarez.

Nice to know you you only have one drum to bang on. :yy:
Reply 15
Original post by Clip
He cheats.
He dives.
He hates the Jackson 5.
Luis Suarez
Luis Suarez.

I can easily whack your head with baseball bat using my left hand right now
I don't think he's at their level yet. He's been in ridiculous form this season though, 17 goals and it's not even Christmas and he's missed the first 6(?) matches. I guess we'll be able to compare them better when he's in La Liga next season.
Maybe if he can continue this form for five seasons straight...
Reply 18
lol no
CR7 and messi are the best football will ever see
considering he had 2 goals and 1 assist against a team who was favourites to win ( 6/4 vs 2/1)

it goes to show that he indeed is playing on the level of ronaldo this season, ( cant compare him to messi as messi hasnt really done anything this season)

+ rm has bale, benzema, di maria etc, liverpool has sturridge

Quick Reply

Latest