The Student Room Group

Which car would you buy?

Good news - I was in an accident and my car got written off...

Well kinda. With the insurance payout + what I have saved this year, I can now afford a car costing £17,500!

What second-hand car would you buy?

Im thinking of either: Audi A5 or BMW 3 coupe - about 3 years old/ <40k miles. I don't think my insurance nor my fuel money could handle anything over 3.0 litres.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A5 3.0 Tdi
Reply 2
A5 is a good shout.
or A6 maybe?

or if you wanted to go a bit older could get a decent M3 for around 10k but tend to be 3.2l which is probably what I'd do personally.

Out of curiosity, what car did you have?

Edit: After looking at the 3 Series Coupe. Get one of them. or a Convertible Hard Top same shape.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
The insurance and maintenance cost of an M3 will kill him, put it this way i can insure an R8 cheaper than an M3.
Reply 4
You won't get this for your budget but a Ferrari 458 Italia convertible with black alloys and red rims carbon fibre hood <3 buuutt i'd go with the audi bmw's are quite problematic if you ever get a fault
Reply 5
Nissan Micra
Honda S2000.
Reply 8
Perodua Kenari - if you can afford the insurance.
Reply 9
I wouldn't get insured on one of them. I looked. and laughed.
Original post by 7589200
Good news - I was in an accident and my car got written off...

Well kinda. With the insurance payout + what I have saved this year, I can now afford a car costing £17,500!

What second-hand car would you buy?

Im thinking of either: Audi A5 or BMW 3 coupe - about 3 years old/ <40k miles. I don't think my insurance nor my fuel money could handle anything over 3.0 litres.

Merc C350
Reply 11
What is your annual mileage? If it is quite high (i.e. more than 15k) then get a diesel - the Audi 3.0 TDI is a gem as is BMW's 3.0.

If it is less than that then get an E92 330i or if you like AWD then an A5 3.2 petrol.
Reply 12
You can't go wrong with a Ford Mondeo.
Original post by ConReid
You can't go wrong with a Ford Mondeo.

Anything and everything can go wrong with a Ford Mondeo.
Reply 14
A5
Reply 15
For £17,500, I'd buy a Mitsubishi Evo.
Reply 16
What about 2 cars?
A snotter to run about in and something special for the weekend?
Reply 17
A5 ... OR a Mercedes E- Class
Reply 18
thanks for all of your contributions

im going to buy an A5 2.0L Petrol, 0-62 in 6.9s is fast enough with 56 mpg (rural) and its not that expensive to insure (only £100 more per month), and it looks awesome

my annual milage is 12k but most of it is rural

and i cudnt afford two good cars unfortuntely
Reply 19
Original post by 7589200
thanks for all of your contributions

im going to buy an A5 2.0L Petrol, 0-62 in 6.9s is fast enough with 56 mpg (rural) and its not that expensive to insure (only £100 more per month), and it looks awesome

my annual milage is 12k but most of it is rural

and i cudnt afford two good cars unfortuntely

I have a soft spot for audis :smile:

How old?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending