The Student Room Group

Tips on producing a quality cover letter?

My advisor at the job centre want's me to send them a general cover letter but I'm a bit stuck as I thought it had to be tailored each job. Would I just put like my skills & that I'm enthusiastic, friendly & what not. I guess I need to tips on how exactly to type it up & what sorts of things to say in each paragraph? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Have a peek at www.dayjob.com as there are many examples of cover letters, especially that there many for different industries :smile:
Cover letters really do need to be tailored to each application. However, if you are applying for VERY SIMILAR jobs you may be able to get away with a more generic one I guess...
I usually point out something unique/ particularly interesting about the company and mention how it links with one of my transferable skills (mentioning an example of where I have already demonstrated this skills) I then have a short paragraph mentioning some key points from my CV and emphasising how wonderful they are. Followed by a short conclusion asking them to contact me if they have any questions/ I look forward to hearing from you soon etc. then sign off.
Original post by ForgetMe
Have a peek at www.dayjob.com as there are many examples of cover letters, especially that there many for different industries :smile:

Original post by dragonkeeper999
Cover letters really do need to be tailored to each application. However, if you are applying for VERY SIMILAR jobs you may be able to get away with a more generic one I guess...
I usually point out something unique/ particularly interesting about the company and mention how it links with one of my transferable skills (mentioning an example of where I have already demonstrated this skills) I then have a short paragraph mentioning some key points from my CV and emphasising how wonderful they are. Followed by a short conclusion asking them to contact me if they have any questions/ I look forward to hearing from you soon etc. then sign off.
Ok thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999

You should post a full length example of your cover letter :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending