The Student Room Group

Tips for placement (computer science)

So in a month I'll be starting my industrial placement as a software engineer for a whole year. I would really like to get a return offer from this company for a graduate position. So could I have some tips on how to maximize my chances of that happening, other than the standard "make sure you do the work you've been assigned on time and to a high quality"
Reply 1
Original post by rsen1324
So in a month I'll be starting my industrial placement as a software engineer for a whole year. I would really like to get a return offer from this company for a graduate position. So could I have some tips on how to maximize my chances of that happening, other than the standard "make sure you do the work you've been assigned on time and to a high quality"

Hi, congrats on your placement!

It would be worth asking for a reference letter from them towards the end of your placement along with trying to keep in contact with them. The fact that you'd have done work with them previously is a big advantage itself and will help you get something when you graduate. Besides this it's worth being punctual and building good relationships with your colleagues along with meeting a lot of people and going the extra mile to get things done. Use this time you have with them to really show them your skills and demonstrate how good of an employee you are. Lastly try to attend company events if they have any and definitely speak to your manager/supervisor about your interest in working there when graduating. Another thing is that if you apply for a role in future make sure that you've covered all bases in terms of your knowledge whether they want you to work on a specific system or they require someone that knows certain coding languages - use your experience to really absorb what kind of things the company uses to function and make mention of this when you apply for a grad role.

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 2

Turn up on time and say yes to everything. But keep your options open. Really good experience is worth more than a job offer when you graduate.

Good luck!
Reply 3

Sometimes the right way to do things is the simplest way. Sometimes you can over complicate things thinking, 'if I look for a more complex route, I will be more impressive'.... Your question about how to 'maximise' your chances implies you think the standard response isn't quite the gold standard or good enough but you are wrong. Pay attention to what you've already been told, 'make sure you do the work you've been assigned on time and to a high quality'..this includes so many skills they will observe in you..... your enthusiasm, attention to detail, picking up new facts fast, asking questions. All this will feed into 'on time and to a high quality'. Do not dismiss it as just the standard and start looking for some convoluted method of getting noticed, you will just annoy your colleagues. Pay attention to those two things and you will do very well. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending