The Student Room Group

Fat acceptance thread (no fatphobia)

Scroll to see replies

Each to their own, I say. I used to be obese so I know how hard it is to deal with negative comments and loving yourself so we should stop ostracising fat people. I know how hard it is to find the confidence to change your lifestyle once you've hit rock bottom so I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on those that find being healthy difficult.
Honestly, I feel like if you have nothing genuinely nice to say to a person, just say nothing at all. I wouldn't go up to a fat person and lecture them about leading a healthy lifestyle. Similarly,I wouldnt go up to them and lie to them telling how its perfectly alright to just go about doing what they do, theres nothing wrong with it.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
I honestly believe that a lot of food/drink companies have a lot more to answer for than people think.
Ask yourself why so many overweight or obese people are addicted to Coca Cola in particular. It's addictive. It's essentially a drug. The withdrawal symptoms can be compared to that of other drugs. It's why they then feel the need to have Diet Cola (which is bad in itself)
We had nothing like the obesity issues we have now a few decades ago. Now food is pumped with increasing levels of drugs and addictive substances and look at us.
Sadly, it's never going to change though. Too much money and jobs attached these companies.
I've never struggled with my weight, but I've struggled with (what I believe is) sugar addiction (which is another debate entirely).

Completely agree here - a thing that really p***ed me off, and still does, is sponsorship of sports events by fast/unhealthy food companies, e.g.coca-cola and mcdonalds and the olympics - an event that is supposed to show-case an epitome of health and fitness etc. and it's promoting to the world these unhealthy products.

The first quarter of the video, I believe, illustrates my point.
This is the reason we have an obesity epidemic. Stop justifying this plague and admit that being fat is not okay
Original post by Alpha brah
You need to watch this OP.

[video="youtube;U708pyoDxM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4[/video]

Spoiler

Guy in your sig is smoking :tongue:
Reply 105
I'm all for fat people being comfortable in their own skin and I don't think it's nice to insult people that are overweight.
However I don't think it's a good idea to adopt this mentality. Being fat isn't necessarily good nor is it healthy.
We should be encouraging people to maintain a healthy weight.
Reply 106
**** like fat acceptance absolutely rustles my ****ing jimmies everytime. Its downright disgusting that people think being fat and lazy is something to be encouraged. In fact this whole movement of "acceptance" is what is destructive to society. Thanks liberalism
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by ayesha2112
A lot of people mistake chubby for fat. As long as you're fit and healthy, having a bit a muffin top or somewhat bigger arms or thighs doesn't make you fat imo. Just cause one doesnt have a flat tummy...

Completely agree. I'm morbidly obese and trying to do something about it. My sister, who can out-eat me any time, is a bit chubby. If someone called her fat, I'd lump them.

Original post by Jordooooom
This is the reason we have an obesity epidemic. Stop justifying this plague and admit that being fat is not okay

But, in admitting it's not okay, offer support to those trying to do something about it, don't just tell them they're bad/greedy/disgusting etc.

The things that upset me as an overweight person are the fact that people assume overweight people are all greedy and have no self-control. This may be true of some people, but for others it's not. The natural thing to do when you are hungry is to eat. If you are already overweight, you will be hungry for more food than a thin person. Therefore if you have always been overweight, you will always want more food than your slimmer friends. If you don't eat when you're not hungry, are you really being more greedy than these thin people? As for self-control, some people simply don't care about their weight. Yes, there are health risks and whatever, but for some people it is genuinely an active decision to "enjoy food" rather than simply not being able to stop themselves eating.

And as someone who is dieting (very successfully, I might add) I find it incredibly rude when people throw insults at me or call me lazy or whatever. Yes, there were several years when my input was bigger than my output. But I have always eaten healthy foods and been active, even when this was the case. And now my output is bigger than my input, and I probably do more exercise than most thin people that I know. So many people underestimate the difficulty in losing weight and because they themselves have never suffered with it, they simply don't understand it, and therefore throw insults.

So please, if you are a thin person who looks down at fat people, I would ask you only this: please don't insult people for being overweight. If you need to comment on their weight, please offer them help and advice in losing the weight, and not just "stop eating donuts and run 5km every day". If you feel inclined to call people greedy and lazy, please consider how you would feel if simply eating when you were hungry meant you maintained a very high weight.
Being fat sucks and is not okay, I don't understand why people want to justify it. Sure the people might be nice but being fat sucks, there are no pros for being fat and so it doesn't make sense if your ok being fat.
Sure there may be a legitimate reason for you being fat, heck you may even have a medical condition that makes you fat way easier than normal people but that doesn't make being fat ok. It just makes it easier to understand why your fat...
Reply 109
As an ex-fat person, no.
Reply 110
I'm dating a fat guy. I'm forever being told that "you could do so much better" and "wtf do you see and him" and people always find it hard to believe I love him for who he is. When we first starting going out he was thin, in shape and looked like a model but once he moved out and we got our own flat, he let himself go and eat junk food. He said he expected me to go off him at that point but I didn't. I don't give a crap how he looks, I only worry that his weight will affect his health down the line. The health complications that can arise are the only thing I have against fat/being overweight.

Being fat really doesn't bother him and he doesn't get offended when people call him fat or tell him to lose weight. He's forever mocking himself for being fat. In fact I told him about this thread and he told me to upload the fattest pic of him I could find haha. He went from about 15/16 stone to about 20/21 in the space of about 2 and a half yrs.

This was us when we first started going out - 160720091056.jpg so he was really thin and this is him now SAM_5199.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Well a) you're a man and b) probably get more exercise than me.

A whole plate of cheese must be one hell of a lot of calories though.

Cheese will kill me once my metabolism slows...

add that plate of cheese on to your current diet, eat cheese + normal diet every day for a month, then come back to me and tell me how slow your "metabolism" when you've gained dat fat doe lol.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
add that plate of cheese on to your current diet, eat cheese + normal diet every day for a month, then come back to me and tell me how slow your "metabolism" when you've gained dat fat doe lol.

Hey I never claimed it was physically impossible for me to get fat!

Just I don't put on weight as easily as a lot of people I know
Original post by redferry
Hey I never claimed it was physically impossible for me to get fat!

Just I don't put on weight as easily as a lot of people I know

Do you know all their eating habits inside out including snacks and calories consumed? Do you know your own diet inside out? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then your last statement cannot be true.

If you are confident that it is a yes to both questions then see a doctor and explain that your body is breaking science. Unless you have certain conditions, your metabolism isn't responsible for your weight.

It shouldn't be used as an excuse if people are trying to lose weight either. "herp derp eatin 7000kcal and im losing weight what do i do?" is so common it's laughable tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest