The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alpha brah
I suppose it depends how exactly you define "alphaness," though? I mean, Bill Gates is undoubtedly more powerful in practical terms, and probably a better leader too (given that he started Microsoft and all).

Original post by MostUncivilised
Marvellously articulate response. Truly a splendid example of rhetoric

Is this real life?

Yeah, it's a close one.
Original post by maskofsanity
Is this real life?

Yeah, it's a close one.

And yet, Bill Gates has real power and Bear Grylls does not.
Reply 22
Alpha is hard to define in the human population . Some people might have that characteristic among their friends, yet inthe work place they might be at the low end . Some guys might seem just generally laid back and n really alpha, but have their employees.its hard to determine in the human species
Can we please keep this sensible and on topic.
And yet, Bill Gates has real power and Bear Grylls does not.

That chip must be annoying on those small delts.

Bear was a few years before my boyfriend at Eton, it's hard to believe such a fine school spawned a heart-eater. It's most uncivilised
Alpha male is such a bull**** pop-evolution term.

In animal species, "alpha"ness correlates to physical strength. In the human race, there is no such thing due to social structures, but if you were to make an analogy, "alpha"ness correlates to intellectual ability and wealth.

Someone like Bill Gates would be more alpha than Bear Grylls. Anyone who claims to be an "alpha male" is a pretentious tosser

Evolutionary psychology seems to have recently become all the rage in these BS PUA/seduction/attraction contexts. It's honestly so frustrating.
A pretty sweet girl who secretly is a real slag in the bedroom.

Oh, by the way.

If one is to measure "alpha"ness by an ability to prevail in a social situation, my comment got three upvotes, and yours got none. So who would be the alpha?

You tell me, I'm not the expert on alphaness and body building, brah.
lol a forum full of nerds and virgins and you think you're going to get an accurate view of alpha males?

dreamer.
You're not exactly asking the right people.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Evolutionary psychology seems to have recently become all the rage in these BS PUA/seduction/attraction contexts. It's honestly so frustrating.

I totally agree, it's a tendency to build plausible explanations on top of plausible assumptions. The thing is, plausability really isn't sufficient. It might sound okay when you've had a few drinks, but scientifically it's rather flimsy (at least, the pop-evolutionary-cod-psychology variety)
Oh, by the way.

If one is to measure "alpha"ness by an ability to prevail in a social situation, my comment got three upvotes, and yours got none. So who would be the alpha?

You tell me, I'm not the expert on alphaness and body building, brah.

Depends on the people in the social situation. Three beta up-votes are a stain.
Depends on the people in the social situation. Three beta up-votes are a stain.

So you prefer social situations that are full of alpha males? Wouldn't that be a sausage-fest?

Not that I'm criticising, I'm gay myself.
Original post by ilem
Your brother's mate must be a very special kind of person to actually use the terms alpha/beta male in real life in a serious context :h:

My mate's brother haha. Ahahha dude what are you trying to say about him?
Reply 35
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My mate's brother haha. Ahahha dude what are you trying to say about him?

Chances are he's not the sharpest tool in the shed :redface:
So you prefer social situations that are full of alpha males? Wouldn't that be a sausage-fest?

Not that I'm criticising, I'm gay myself.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
So we could say Bill Clinton, a lawyer-turned-politician with a degree from Georgetown and a Rhodes scholarship to Oxford, is an alpha.

Lifting weights and saying "brah" does not make you an alpha. That's just manchild behaviour.

I know your quote wasn't directed to me, but absolutely and he was very successful with women.
?

I disagree with the whole Bill Gates is 'alpha' thing.

Just because someone's rich and owns a big company doesn't make them 'alpha' it just means they have a high social standing. Put them side by side with someone like an NCO in the army for instance and it would be obvious who the 'alpha' was.

I don't just mean 'alpha' as in can lift heavier things and says brah as you seem to think other people opposing your view do. I mean he would be the dominant male. whatever 'alpha' actually means I don't think a computer nerd would be it.
Reply 39
Sharon Stone when she was in her late 20s/30s.

Latest

Trending

Trending