The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
Crazy to think massive clubs like that could be going to League one, meanwhile my friend was at Scunthorpe tonight and saw them concede a 96th minute equaliser against Doncaster, safe to say she feels rather sick after that.

TBH being a Coventry fan I would be happy to be in league one LOL. Won't be surprised if they end up in the Conference one day if they can't get promoted this season.

I think it just goes to show the direction football is taking for the worse with all these foreign rich owners taking over clubs and destroying them. I really wish there was a 50+1 rule like in Germany.
Original post by iodo345
TBH being a Coventry fan I would be happy to be in league one LOL. Won't be surprised if they end up in the Conference one day if they can't get promoted this season.

I think it just goes to show the direction football is taking for the worse with all these foreign rich owners taking over clubs and destroying them. I really wish there was a 50+1 rule like in Germany.

At this rate they will swap places with the new Coventry United club
At this rate they will swap places with the new Coventry United club

Yes I actually avoid the Ricoh now. I can't see anyone buying the club despite being able to take 10,000 away to MK Dons this Saturday.

I think the only option will one day be to start the club again like Wimbledon had to do.
Original post by iodo345
Yes I actually avoid the Ricoh now. I can't see anyone buying the club despite being able to take 10,000 away to MK Dons this Saturday.

I think the only option will one day be to start the club again like Wimbledon had to do.

Think that was what Coventry United was all about, many disgruntled fans starting up a new club, although I also read it was due to Coventry having to play at Northampton for a year as well.
Think that was what Coventry United was all about, many disgruntled fans starting up a new club, although I also read it was due to Coventry having to play at Northampton for a year as well.

Yeah some fans said that they had enough and decided to set up their own football club as thy see no way that the club can be rescued. They might be right recently there have been offers declined to take over the club but the reality of the situation is so complicated that I doubt anyone would actually buy it.

I would rather go to watch Coventry United tbh at least the money would end up helping the club rather than being wasted on court cases etc.

It would be funny if in 10 years time CCFC are playing CUFC in a cross city derby in the Conference LOL.
Original post by iodo345
Yeah some fans said that they had enough and decided to set up their own football club as thy see no way that the club can be rescued. They might be right recently there have been offers declined to take over the club but the reality of the situation is so complicated that I doubt anyone would actually buy it.

I would rather go to watch Coventry United tbh at least the money would end up helping the club rather than being wasted on court cases etc.

It would be funny if in 10 years time CCFC are playing CUFC in a cross city derby in the Conference LOL.

Yeah hate to say it but I can only see Coventry disappearing like the old Wimbledon, but the new Coventry is rising up pretty rapidly so it could happen they cross paths in the near future.
Yeah hate to say it but I can only see Coventry disappearing like the old Wimbledon, but the new Coventry is rising up pretty rapidly so it could happen they cross paths in the near future.

Yeah it would be a strange occurrence not sure who people would support tbh especially if Coventry United start to approach higher levels of the Conference or League 2.

Even if CCFC get promoted this year to League one the owners would never invest the money to get it to Championship/ Premier League level anyway.

I think the most comparable situation would be similar to that of Darlington (unnecessarily massive stadium, administration, new club formed etc).

I can see a few clubs actually going down the same path in the future if they are not careful and a lot of clubs are in precarious situations as I stated in a previous post League 1 next year could be half filled with former Premier League teams.

Personally, I would rather have them build a small 10,000 stadium that they own and is in the cities boundaries even if it meant starting again from the conference there is enough supporters who would actually return to the club to make it successful.

The ironic thing is that by bus it takes me 1 hour 15 mins to get to the Ricoh which is the same time it takes to get to the King Power by bus from Coventry.

Says it all really about how badly planned the stadium move was. The train station was 10 years too late as well. It will probably end up being a rugby ground for Wasps/concert arena.

It is a warning to clubs like West Ham to live within your means.
Original post by iodo345
Yeah it would be a strange occurrence not sure who people would support tbh especially if Coventry United start to approach higher levels of the Conference or League 2.

Even if CCFC get promoted this year to League one the owners would never invest the money to get it to Championship/ Premier League level anyway.

I think the most comparable situation would be similar to that of Darlington (unnecessarily massive stadium, administration, new club formed etc).

I can see a few clubs actually going down the same path in the future if they are not careful and a lot of clubs are in precarious situations as I stated in a previous post League 1 next year could be half filled with former Premier League teams.

Personally, I would rather have them build a small 10,000 stadium that they own and is in the cities boundaries even if it meant starting again from the conference there is enough supporters who would actually return to the club to make it successful.

The ironic thing is that by bus it takes me 1 hour 15 mins to get to the Ricoh which is the same time it takes to get to the King Power by bus from Coventry.

Says it all really about how badly planned the stadium move was. The train station was 10 years too late as well. It will probably end up being a rugby ground for Wasps/concert arena.

It is a warning to clubs like West Ham to live within your means.

Yeah Darlington was terrible what happened to them, the owner was a fraudster if I remember correctly, I don't know why the Coventry owners don't sell up if they have no ambition to fund it. I do feel there are many other clubs in big trouble and we will see a big fallout in the near future of clubs basically collapsing. Seen it so often in the past where fans abandon their clubs and start their own clubs, Wimbledon again was a classic example.
Yeah Darlington was terrible what happened to them, the owner was a fraudster if I remember correctly, I don't know why the Coventry owners don't sell up if they have no ambition to fund it. I do feel there are many other clubs in big trouble and we will see a big fallout in the near future of clubs basically collapsing. Seen it so often in the past where fans abandon their clubs and start their own clubs, Wimbledon again was a classic example.

It is a complicated situation even I don't fully understand the ins and outs of it all but I think their main reason for not going is that they want to get back their money that they initially invested into the club through court cases, selling the training ground/ academy etc.

Yes some of the decisions are absurd. Even today Leeds United unveiled a badge which looked like a bunch of primary school kids could have made.
I won't be surprised if people end up not buying any merchandise or shirts with that thing on it.

I think Coventry will be the first club to collapse followed by the others maybe that is what it will take for the football league to actually be proactive and finally do something as right now they just allow it to happen.

It annoys me how much attention is paid to Van Dijk/ Sanchez etc when so many clubs are being ruined.

I honestly don't think this current model of football is sustainable where Man city/ Chelsea etc spend billions while clubs in lower leagues struggle to stay afloat.
Original post by iodo345
It is a complicated situation even I don't fully understand the ins and outs of it all but I think their main reason for not going is that they want to get back their money that they initially invested into the club through court cases, selling the training ground/ academy etc.

Yes some of the decisions are absurd. Even today Leeds United unveiled a badge which looked like a bunch of primary school kids could have made.
I won't be surprised if people end up not buying any merchandise or shirts with that thing on it.

I think Coventry will be the first club to collapse followed by the others maybe that is what it will take for the football league to actually be proactive and finally do something as right now they just allow it to happen.

It annoys me how much attention is paid to Van Dijk/ Sanchez etc when so many clubs are being ruined.

I honestly don't think this current model of football is sustainable where Man city/ Chelsea etc spend billions while clubs in lower leagues struggle to stay afloat.

They must surely know they won't get their money back out of the club by now. Yeah it is awful the big transfer fees being exchanged and you look at some players wages they earn a week and you got a club like Hartlepool who needed £200,000 to stay afloat, if a couple footballers donated some money towards that then they would easily survive.
Leeds badge could use the same font but with "LUFC" instead of Leeds United, and the White Rose instead of Solidarity Man below the titles.
Accroding to the Guardian they are now re-considering the badge design.
League cup run over and players starting to come back from injury, hopefully we can kick on in the league now and try and catch Derby.

January has been an awful month for us.
Well, unfortunately Cardiff City aren't going to be the media darlings of the Championship this season

Like we give a ****, I prefer us being hated :biggrin:
Evening lads :smile:
Snoddy!!!!
Since the dawn of time, we've forever been in mid-table. What's ambition? Someone tell me please >.<
Original post by IDukem
Since the dawn of time, we've forever been in mid-table. What's ambition? Someone tell me please >.<

If you support a club below tier 6 you're supporting football (the sport), not the players (who aren't paid usually nor do they stay at the club for long)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
If you support a club below tier 6 you're supporting football (the sport), not the players (who aren't paid usually nor do they stay at the club for long)

I support a conference south team.
Hello everyone, just wanted to come say hi and remind y’all that we’ve got Chris Martin xxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest