The Student Room Group

Entry onto a Midwifery Degree as a Mature Studen

Hi everybody, I hope this is the right place to be asking this.

This question isn't concerning me but my mother. After my youngest sibling starts full-time education, she's told me that she would like to study midwifery at our local university (Bedfordshire, if it helps). But neither of us are clear on what sort of requirements she'd have to meet or potential funding - she already completed an undergraduate Law degree in 1996 and hasn't been in education since then.

I've tried looking at the course online but can't seem to find detailed information for this kind of situation. I do plan to check again and email them/get her to email them, but I wondered if anybody here had any ideas of how she could study for a midwifery degree. Information career-wise for after the degree would be really helpful too. Thanks! :smile:

EDIT: Oh great, a typo. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm a mature student and loads of mature students apply to do midwifery even after a degree.

Tuition fees are paid by the NHS so it would just be living costs to cover - although there is plenty of support available if you have been classed as independent. I think there is also some funding from student finance if you are over 25.

In terms of qualifications, most prefer a science at A Level, basic gcse maths and english, each uni should say it's entry requirements. Also they love experience, whether that's midwifery related or any sort of social care: working in a hospital/care homes/with young children.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by kep334
I'm a mature student and loads of mature students apply to do midwifery even after a degree.

Tuition fees are paid by the NHS so it would just be living costs to cover - although there is plenty of support available if you have been classed as independent. I think there is also some funding from student finance if you are over 25.

In terms of qualifications, most prefer a science at A Level, basic gcse maths and english, each uni should say it's entry requirements. Also they love experience, whether that's midwifery related or any sort of social care: working in a hospital/care homes/with young children.

Hope that helps!

I'm pretty sure the extra money for mature students was stopped in 2006 due to age discrimination laws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending