The Student Room Group

Aston Villa F.C.

It has now been 4 years since the birth of the Aston Villa society, started just before David O'Leary was sacked as our manager. Since then it has been a rollercoaster ride for the Villa with Martin O'Neil coming in and giving us 3 top 6 finishes in a row after finishing 11th in his first season. It all seemed bright after 6 straight wins over the old enemy across the City, but now things are not looking so good, first O'Neil walks out on us, then we have the Newcastle shambles before Gerard Houiller takes over. We are in the wrong end of the table, disappointing results, several key players out injured. I really hope we are not slipping back into the dark old days of a few years ago, fingers crossed we can pull away from the danger zone, on the positive side we have several promising youngsters coming through. The likes of Ciaran Clark, Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannan and Nathan Delfouneso coming through the ranks. This is a society for anything related to Aston Villa.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

its all rather silly...My thoughts were that he did'nt want to spend anymore money, because he was in talks to sell the club ? is this not the case ?

the problem is definatly from the top, and i would strive to keep O'leary...he is a goood manager !
Reply 2
I'm not DOL's greatest fan if I'm honest - he's not much unless he has a chequebook with lots of pages in it.

Us Villa fans have been through crisis' like these before - just remember: as long as we're a division above C*ty, that's all that matters.. :wink:
But after finishing 6th two seasons ago some Villa fans expect more lol, although it seems this player mutiny with Doug Ellis was blown out of proportion
Reply 4
Villa fans will be happy for the club to stay up this season - the squad morale is low, there's no investment in the team, there are just about enough players for a first team line up and Deadly Doug is still watching every penny.
I doubt it think the following season we'll be playing host to the likes of Stoke City, Sheffield Wednesday, Colchester etc
Reply 6
I don't think we'll go down this season - it's going to be a tough one, and we'll be close to the Relegation zone for most of the season, but I reckon we'll survive.
Villa will only ever be a force again when Ellis goes.

Having an ambitious ownership is central to being a successful football club.
Staying up? Being above Birmginham? What kind of flipping targets are they!? What has happened:frown: I mean we've always been underachievers but how can we possibly underachieve with those targets? If we can get a decent right winger to replace Milner (maybe Berger will play there) then we have a pretty class starting XI (remember Laursen is playing if his knee is aite so Ridgewell won't play:biggrin:) and it is easily a top half first XI. We are better than so many teams and it couldn't get worse than last season. We have the support let's not give up just yet ya...

Nick
Reply 9
Villa are 4/1 to get relegated, I'll take that.

Curbishley is a good manager, he'd be a good signing for Villa and I agree that O'Leary will probably be out of a job a month into the season.
Villa won't get relegated. I put my life on it.
Reply 11
I wouldn't say no to Curbs - he's shown he can manage a team effectively without a large transfer budget, which is more than DOL has shown..

Villa don't have a bad squad, but it's by no means the best we've had. And it's a very small squad - as soon as injuries and suspensions start arising, Villa are going to find themselves very vunerable and that's when we'll start dropping points. Villa need at least another 5 decent signings to make it through the season, but with no cash, and threat of players like Baros, Mellberg and Angel leaving the club, the squad is only going to wither..
When i first started supporting Villa when i was 8 - we won the league cup were regularly reaching the uefa cup. Its been a massive downhill struggle since then with our only highlight reaching the final of the F.A cup. What i want to know is what Ellis was doing differently back then because whatever he did it was working.
Down to play the West Brom, your going down to play the west brom!

I remember the days when Villa were a decent team.... but now they are probably the most boring team in the premiership and will hopefully go down...

At least then our fans can suffer less abuse from the Villa "firm" who found it fun to brick our buses and then at Ewood park, some 30 year old skin head found it amusing to hit some little kid in the face with some nun chucks.... :/
Reply 14
asadtamimi
When i first started supporting Villa when i was 8 - we won the league cup were regularly reaching the uefa cup. Its been a massive downhill struggle since then with our only highlight reaching the final of the F.A cup. What i want to know is what Ellis was doing differently back then because whatever he did it was working.

Ellis did the greatest thing he could for Villa when they won the English Top Division and were crowned the European Champions.

He'd left the club.
Reply 15
ciderpeter
I remember the days when Villa were a decent team.... but now they are probably the most boring team in the premiership and will hopefully go down...

I thought you were only 19. haha
Reply 16
According to the Daily Mirror:

Aston Villa boss David O'Leary is set to be sacked and replaced by Charlton boss Alan Curbishley. (Daily Mirror)
ciderpeter
I remember the days when Villa were a decent team....

I still remember you and us having that title decider, or so it was hoped, but those two annoying teams in red ran off with first and second.
Who's happy about the Villa news!? Not the person I wanted to leave most but it'll do:smile:

Nick
Who left?

Latest