The Student Room Group

English lit B aqa course description

Hi everyone,
I'll be starting the aqa English Literature B course in September, but right now I'm a bit confused about the overall structure of the course... My school has been a little vague about the exam structure, coursework, what books/plays/poems are likely to be studied etc.
Any help would be greatly valued, thanks in advance :smile:!
Original post by ella-lane
Hi everyone,
I'll be starting the aqa English Literature B course in September, but right now I'm a bit confused about the overall structure of the course... My school has been a little vague about the exam structure, coursework, what books/plays/poems are likely to be studied etc.
Any help would be greatly valued, thanks in advance :smile:!

In the exam, there is section A and section B. Section A requires you to answer two 21 mark questions on ONE text. (You'll probably study 4 texts). One of the 21 mark questions will be something like "Write about some of Fitzgerald’s narrative methods in Chapter 2" or "Write about the ways Hosseini tells the story in Chapter 20" Obviously this depends on what texts you study, I just used two of the texts I studied at AS last year :tongue:

The second question could be absolutely anything, it tends to focus on themes within the novel/poem, for example “RUBBLE AND BEGGARS. Everywhere I looked, that was what I saw.” (Chapter 20) How far is this bleak view of Afghanistan and its people borne out in the The Kite Runner as a whole?

Section B is a comparison question worth 42 marks, you get the choice of two questions. Here you have to compare 3 of the texts you've studied, but you CAN'T include the text you answered on in section A. It could be something like:

“In a narrative, there is usually a hero or heroine, a protagonist on whose fate the readers’ interest in the story principally rests.”
Write about the significance of protagonists in the narratives of the three writers you have studied.

The exam texts vary greatly, your college/sixth form will choose which ones you do. I studied The Great Gatsby, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 3 poems by Keats (counted as one text) and The Kite Runner. Other options include The Road, Birdsong, Small Island, Pride and Prejudice etc.

Have a look at this exam paper to see texts/questions :smile:

As for coursework, it will be out of 60, you have to do two pieces out of 30 though :smile: As taken from the AQA website: "Minimum of two texts for study within dramatic genre of Comedy. A portfolio of two pieces of written coursework (one may be re-creative) each 1200- 1500 words."

I did Educating Rita and A Midsummer Night's Dream. For Educating Rita I did a monologue and a commentary explaining what devices I used and why. For a Midsummer Night's Dream it was basically an essay analysing where greed and human folly can be seen :biggrin:

Best of luck, let me know which texts you'll be doing when you know :biggrin: if you do any of the ones that I did, I'd be happy to help. I'm currently studying it at A2, the gothic genre! It's such a great course :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy96
In the exam, there is section A and section B. Section A requires you to answer two 21 mark questions on ONE text. (You'll probably study 4 texts). One of the 21 mark questions will be something like "Write about some of Fitzgerald’s narrative methods in Chapter 2" or "Write about the ways Hosseini tells the story in Chapter 20" Obviously this depends on what texts you study, I just used two of the texts I studied at AS last year :tongue:

The second question could be absolutely anything, it tends to focus on themes within the novel/poem, for example “RUBBLE AND BEGGARS. Everywhere I looked, that was what I saw.” (Chapter 20) How far is this bleak view of Afghanistan and its people borne out in the The Kite Runner as a whole?

Section B is a comparison question worth 42 marks, you get the choice of two questions. Here you have to compare 3 of the texts you've studied, but you CAN'T include the text you answered on in section A. It could be something like:

“In a narrative, there is usually a hero or heroine, a protagonist on whose fate the readers’ interest in the story principally rests.”
Write about the significance of protagonists in the narratives of the three writers you have studied.

The exam texts vary greatly, your college/sixth form will choose which ones you do. I studied The Great Gatsby, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 3 poems by Keats (counted as one text) and The Kite Runner. Other options include The Road, Birdsong, Small Island, Pride and Prejudice etc.

Have a look at this exam paper to see texts/questions :smile:

As for coursework, it will be out of 60, you have to do two pieces out of 30 though :smile: As taken from the AQA website: "Minimum of two texts for study within dramatic genre of Comedy. A portfolio of two pieces of written coursework (one may be re-creative) each 1200- 1500 words."

I did Educating Rita and A Midsummer Night's Dream. For Educating Rita I did a monologue and a commentary explaining what devices I used and why. For a Midsummer Night's Dream it was basically an essay analysing where greed and human folly can be seen :biggrin:

Best of luck, let me know which texts you'll be doing when you know :biggrin: if you do any of the ones that I did, I'd be happy to help. I'm currently studying it at A2, the gothic genre! It's such a great course :biggrin:

Thank you so much :smile: that's made everything a lot clearer. I think we study enduring love as one of our novels, which sounds great, as well as the gothic genre at A2. I can't wait, :biggrin: thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest