The Student Room Group

Love science but not einstein

My talents have always been within Science subjects and I'm not arty or anything. So for A- Levels I took: Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (in that order of preference.) But now I realise how hard they are! I mean I'm average but no courses cater for average. My predicted grades for AS are:
Physics: A
Chemistry:B
Biology:C
Maths:biggrin:

I would be happy with 3 Bs in the summer and a D in Maths:smile:
But what am I going to study!
My passion is physics but I can only do 'physics maths' which sounds stupid. I also love chemistry but can't see me getting the grades you need for chemistry courses.

I do like biology but more human biology and it's too textual. I don't want to resort in doing a pointless '****ology' course.

HELP THANKS
Reply 1
University-level physics requires to do what you would call 'maths maths' rather than 'physics maths'. If you'd be happy with a D in maths, you would undoubtedly struggle with physics at university. You would be much better off going for a life sciences degree, such as biochemistry.
Original post by taliatemme

I do like biology but more human biology and it's too textual. I don't want to resort in doing a pointless '****ology' course.

With that attitude, I doubt you'd be even admitted onto a biology course.
Reply 3
In same boat as u really but didn't do biol found it too wordy :tongue: the chem parts are interesting once getting past all the words though-shows molecules' cleverness. I love these subjects, I understand what u mean about phys maths though-it has more of a meaning/reason behind what ur doing and why-helps see relationship between physics concepts nd shtuff. Ive been told clearly by my lecturers maths grade is more important that phys grade for phys degree so spend more time on it that other subjects if ur not finding it great atm , like i. If phys is awesome to u then maybe work through the maths first just to get closer to the opportunity then ull be able to concentrate on physics u like. Theres gonna be parts we find harder/less enjoyable in anything but once theyre out the way its worth getting to the place u wanna be then. E.g i may need to battle through the maths for computing but once getting the hang of it i can do some stuff id like to do with the computer. Same with chem.
U can do a degree in chem and maybe phys with a B at a level cant u?
Good luck though hope this makes a bit of sense :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No way you can be a physicist without being a bit of a Mathmo as well.
Reply 5
Original post by taliatemme
My talents have always been within Science subjects and I'm not arty or anything. So for A- Levels I took: Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (in that order of preference.) But now I realise how hard they are! I mean I'm average but no courses cater for average. My predicted grades for AS are:
Physics: A
Chemistry:B
Biology:C
Maths:biggrin:

I would be happy with 3 Bs in the summer and a D in Maths:smile:
But what am I going to study!
My passion is physics but I can only do 'physics maths' which sounds stupid. I also love chemistry but can't see me getting the grades you need for chemistry courses.

HELP THANKS

D in maths is no good for physics or chemistry...

Biology is a pretty solid degree though to be fair
If you want to do physics, practice maths. Let A level physics suffer, for the sake of maths. Universities care WAY more about your maths ability than physics; they're gonna teach you it again in more depth anyway. I applied to do joint honours mathematics and physics myself (though went to straight maths after a term.. I hated labs, and the doors were still open to the theoretical stuff!)
Reply 7
Original post by FireGarden
If you want to do physics, practice maths. Let A level physics suffer, for the sake of maths. Universities care WAY more about your maths ability than physics; they're gonna teach you it again in more depth anyway. I applied to do joint honours mathematics and physics myself (though went to straight maths after a term.. I hated labs, and the doors were still open to the theoretical stuff!)

Thats an excellent point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending