The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Ecology & Wildlife Conservation

Well I have four offers from different uni's, but I'm pretty set on going to Bournmouth university to study the "Ecology & Wildlife Conservation" BSc (Hons) course. I'm not entirely sure what my question is, I guess does anyone thats been there, done that, & got the t-shirt have anything to say about it?? & is there anybody else pondering upon studying this too??
Reply 1
I'm thinking of doing this same course too! :smile:
I'm in the same situation, 4 offers so far, but Bournemouth seems to be my favourite.
I searched everyyywhere and this forum was all I could find: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2380434
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Ah thank you, least no one has anything bad to say about the course or uni. I just can't wait to start with whatever I decide to do, but I'm still leaning more towards Bournemouth.
Reply 3
Yeah I haven't read anything bad!
I can't wait either. Sooo excited to get to uni. What other unis have you had offers from?
Are you going to any of Bournemouth's applicant days? I'm going to the one on February 21st :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh I'm going to that open day as well. My other options are Manchester Met, Northampton, & Reaseheath Chester. What are your other options?
Reply 5
Oh yayyy, will probably see you at some point :smile:

My other offers are Manchester Met, Liverpool John Moores and South Wales (for Natural History - similar just under a different name)

The Manchester Met one does sound good too, I've gone for the year abroad option, but I'm not too sure about the uni.
Reply 6
Haha yes, probably. It's rather a massive trek for me to get down there, I live miles away! :tongue:
Oh wow, that's weird I went for the option abroad too, it's my second choice, but I think the units sound better with Bournemouth. I do have a friend that's at manchester met and he didn't have anything bad to say about the actual university, loves it there.

Reply 7
Okay it's scary how similar we sound haha! I've a pretty long way to go as well. Do you live in the north too?
If I choose Bournemouth I don't get a second choice, but if I did it'd probably be Manchester Met.
I have a friend there that loves it too haha :smile: but they're studying Primary Ed so slightly different!
Reply 8
Hey sorry I never got back to you, honestly I'm hopeless :tongue: Yeah wired! Same, I'm up in north Wales. The open day was good. But I forgot to ask how much contact time there is in a week with tutors and lectures.
Reply 9
Original post by Em-jay
Hey sorry I never got back to you, honestly I'm hopeless :tongue: Yeah wired! Same, I'm up in north Wales. The open day was good. But I forgot to ask how much contact time there is in a week with tutors and lectures.

Oh right that's not too far from me, I'm like an hour away from Manchester :smile: Yeah I loved Bournemouth! I've just firmed it so I'm definitely going now. I went by coach though, was a helllllll of a journey. Oooo, I didn't ask about that but the information for the course on UniStats seems pretty good and I thought the teachers seemed really nice :smile: I reeeeeeeeally want to go on that trip to Peru/Ecuador!
Original post by Em-jay
Well I have four offers from different uni's, but I'm pretty set on going to Bournmouth university to study the "Ecology & Wildlife Conservation" BSc (Hons) course. I'm not entirely sure what my question is, I guess does anyone thats been there, done that, & got the t-shirt have anything to say about it?? & is there anybody else pondering upon studying this too??

Hi there, i'm currently studying Ecology & WC at BU. Its the perfect place if you want to study this kind of course, the coast down here as well as the New Forest and heathland mean there are so many habitats to explore and practical stuff to do, plus the course leader is very passionate and if you care about your degree you'll get lots of support. In terms of the course itself, its very much what you make of it, First year is very broad as with most degrees, some units are really good, some you just have to pass to get onto the good stuff to come, but if you get involved in extra stuff, like society and volunteering then you get to do lots of hands on conservation work, the uni has good links around the area. 2nd year things obviously get more specialized to the field and so on into 3rd year. Bournemouth is a good uni, i think people see league tables and get put off because its not oxford, but its a really friendly Uni, very supporting and has excellent graduate employment rate. Also a great beach and gorgeous surroundings is never a bad thing as well as a decent nightlife. Basically its what you make of it, but If you can come here I'd say go for it, I don't regret it!.
Good luck
Maybe see you next year :smile:
Reply 11
Ah, thank you! I like your honesty haha, I know I probably won't enjoy every single unit but I'm still so excited to go in September.

I don't mind about the rating, I know people that go to some that are lower and they still love where they are. Bournemouth's employment rate is higher than my other options too :smile: I was more worried about the importance of the course to the uni. It seems really focused on the media courses. I used to want to do a sandwich course but I don't think there's anything available abroad. Although I wouldn't mind arranging it myself.

And yeah, the location is amazing and the nightlife sounds great. Definitely a bonus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending