The Student Room Group

Anyone choose their worst performing subject(s) for a-level?

--
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I chose Economics for A Level, and although I didn't take GCSE Econ, the requirements (Maths B/English B) were by no means my best subjects! Not really the same thing as you but kind of the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muffyn
I've also chosen economics. How did you find the a-level?

I'm doing AS right now, and to be honest it's actually really hard! The diagrams can get confusing and there's a lot to remember. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did. Eventually I got the same grade in a-level which I'd count as a success.
English was my lowest GCSE grade (not even joint lowest, just lowest) and I took it at A Level and got the same grade.
Reply 5
While grades and performance come into it a bit, my advice is to choose A-levels based on what you want to do in the future. It's all well and good getting A*s but if you do all languages then decide you want to do Biochemistry at university, you're stuck as most, if not all, universities require specific science or maths A-levels.

You have to make sure you're going to enjoy what you're doing otherwise there's no point, but please have a think about what you want to do or study beyond A-levels and what that will require, rather than what you think you'll get A*s in. The sciences are hard, I'm not going to lie. I'm in A2 now doing biology, chemistry and physics and it is no easy walk. But it IS do-able and if I can do it, you can. Maths was one of my weakest subjects at school but I came out with a B at AS. It is still possible to do well, just means you'll have to put that extra effort in if you want those elusive top grades.
I didn't particularly choose the ones I was best at. I think I would have done equally done in Physics, Computer Science, Electronics and English for example.
Reply 7
I chose History which is one of the subjects I got a C in, but then I got an A at AS-level so...
Reply 8
When the teachers made their various presentations for 'their' A-level courses, I was tempted for, oh, minutes by the idea of doing German. It would have been a complete disaster, not having done it before and being Really Bad at foreign languages, but the presentation was wonderful.

I did Economics in a year (and got the top grade). I found it easy (the maths wasn't any problem) but some other people didn't. I'd already done it (people bad at foreign languages started it after the first year of doing French, whereas those good at French got German and/or Latin) but I don't think doing it from scratch would be a problem: so much of it is 'common sense'.

Is doing the three languages and something else - eg at college - an option? Or asking for harder extra work in those languages? Can you read literary novels in them, for example?
I chose Physics which was the GCSE I had the lowest percentage for.
I got an A at GCSE for English Lit and I swapped into it mid year lololol I am so screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muffyn
lol I'm still in yr 11 - so there's still time to change my mind and save myself from the difficulties of science a-levels (oh yes, I've heard the stories) and pick all languages for A-levels, which are consistently my best area of subjects (high A*s). I'm so sad that only one person had replied here, which I'm guessing means that everyone chose all their best subjects for A -levels. It's just, for me, being too good at something and getting high A*s with little to no effort is not as satisfactory as getting A*s in weaker subjects (science). It's just not challenging that's all, and A couple of teachers pointed out that I am someone who needs to be stimulated in class. So while it would be wiser to choose languages (high A*) than sciences (low A*), I think I'd rather by challenged by what I consider to be harder subjects than sitting around fidgeting in what I consider to be easier subjects. I'm still anxious about my choices, as having talked to the whole of my year, everyone is choosing their best subjects (ie. the ones they got high A*s). Oh well. As for economics, I have been going throughout TSR, and the general consensus was that it was easy (small syllabus) but rather dry? Do you find it interesting?

It's really interesting, yeah, but I'm used to more straightforward exam questions so I find the exam technique a bit tricky, it can be extremely dry at times though! Also depends on the teacher/ preference; some people prefer one unit (Micro) over (Macro), or vice versa. I find if you like humanities more, Macro tends to be your favorite whilst if you're a maths person, Micro.

As for subjects.. I wouldn't take something just because it's an high grade/ good grade. Obviously that's great. But take it taking into mind what you want to do in the future, or simply what you'll enjoy. Maybe you could choose a mix of language and science (and maybe math?), that would be a great mix. But honestly this is your choice, factor teacher's opinions in but in the end go with your choice.
Reply 12
I took my worst AS-level subject to A2 and dropped my second best one. :rolleyes:

Just remember, it's a lot easier to motivate yourself to do well in subjects you enjoy. If you're doing something that you get good grades in but hate then that's no fun!
Reply 13
Original post by Muffyn

Ahh, but was that because you didn't put in enough effort at gcse compared to other subjects but now at alevel you do? No matter how little effort I try to put into languages and no matter how much effort I put into my sciences, I still seem to get better marks in languages. The puzzle that is my brain.

Indeed, I put some effort into GCSE but not nearly as much as a-levels. Same here with Maths and History, I always get better marks in Maths despite putting in less effort than it, but I hate history a-level so that might explain it :tongue:
Original post by Muffyn
I've chosen sciences for alevel, my worst performing subjects, in terms of predicted grades and my recent mock grades. I am by no means bad at them, but they are still my worst. Just wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat? Would make me feel a lot better.

I chose Chemistry and Biology at A-Level and they were my lowest GCSE grades (admittedly still A's), and with a lot of hard work I managed to get A's in both at AS and am predicted to do so in A2 as well!! Work hard brah
Reply 15
Original post by Muffyn
Ohhh, you must have had great courage to do that! Well done, you. :biggrin:

So... I guess you're dropping history at A2 then. By the way I like David Tennant too :biggrin:

I'm doing my A2s atm, I dropped history after AS :tongue:. Yay, David Tennant is awesome :cool: n1 doctor imo
Original post by Muffyn
Ohhh, you must have had great courage to do that! Well done, you. :biggrin:

:tongue: I really wanted to do medicine!

admittedly my example isnt that great as they are still A's! But still, the point im making is that youll be 'ite if you work hard
Reply 17
Well it's not my worst grade, but I didn't get an A* in it. I got an A in GCSE Biology and doing it for A-level :smile:
If your premise for considering not taking sciences is that they're easy, they do get harder at A-level, and with the careers you're interested in, it does seem wisest to do the sciences. Maybe you could do a language too?
Original post by Muffyn

Same, I want to medicine. However, these days I'm beginning to question if medicine is really for me. I would be much better at something mathsy. When I think about doing biology a-level, I panic because it is my worst subject. I guess I'm suffering from low confidence in the subject. I know I shouldn't worry because my friends say I'm going to get a* (low) so I would still do well in biology but it is my weakest subject. Perhaps it is because of this reason that has caused this negative psychological effect so that now I have such a low confidence in myself.

Mate, I had the exact same mentality going into A level. I thought that I was screwed as I was taking my worst subjects. However, if you stay motivated and truly want to do medicine and get the grades than you will! Think long and hard though, pursuing medicine is a tough decision to make.
Reply 19
I chose English Lit as an AS, I got a B in GCSE. I found the exam hard (got A in coursework) and got a low B, so a B overall. It was stupid of me really.

Quick Reply

Latest