The Student Room Group

I fell in love online... but then I found out I was being "catfished"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joseon
I don't disagree. But clearly the OP is far more concerned with appearance than anything else, which is pretty much the dictionary definition of shallow.

Yeah I think I was shallow to a degree
But I also liked this persons morals, how they also believed in sex after marriage and didn't drink alcohol or smoke (like me) and how he is studying engineering, so he was intelligent, like i was attracted to that stuff as well, but him being attractive made me like that stuff, plus i wasnt looking for a relationship at all so really the only thing that would get me hooked is looks
Reply 61
Why is the OP in different fonts? Looks copy & pasted...
Reply 62
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
Yeah I think I was shallow to a degree
But I also liked this persons morals, how they also believed in sex after marriage and didn't drink alcohol or smoke (like me) and how he is studying engineering, so he was intelligent, like i was attracted to that stuff as well, but him being attractive made me like that stuff..

And yet the moment you found out that he didn't really look like the guy in the photo you dropped him like a fart in the wind, but your interest in the guy in the photo continues unabated.
Original post by joseon
And yet the moment you found out that he didn't really look like the guy in the photo you dropped him like a fart in the wind, but your interest in the guy in the photo continues unabated.

yup when you put it that way but ofc i was, trust was IMMEDIATELY broken, who would do that to someone...
i do feel bad though :frown:
Reply 64
OP please get a grip of yourself.

Do you realise how ridiculous what you're saying sounds?

What you're basically saying is you fell in love with words and pictures that were on your computer screen and now you're having an emotional breakdown over it?

Turn your computer/phone off and go and get some fresh air.
Original post by Steezy
Why is the OP in different fonts? Looks copy & pasted...

yeah i typed it up into word before i wrote it on here, the first and last lines i typed on the actual text box and i pasted the rest
i just find it hard to sometimes write things on here
hope that explains it
Reply 66
yup when you put it that way but ofc i was, trust was IMMEDIATELY broken, who would do that to someone...

And who would blame you. Trust is an easy thing to give but it's hard to earn back.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by marinaim
It's not, but the decisions leading up to it are

What choices, talking to people?
Reply 68

I'm not defending what he did, but maybe he's insecure? Maybe he knew you wouldn't even give him a chance if he put up a real photo? Idk but you've got to realise that you know pretty much nothing about the guy you're infatuated with, he could be a thoroughly horrible individual. You've just created the image of this perfect guy, but he only exists in your mind.
Original post by Robbie242
This view is so annoying :colonhash: it's like you believe nothing happens over the internet and its all just incomparable to real life, I think it's quite easy to get infatuated over the net tbh

It took me 6 or 7 months to fully realise I loved someone I talked to online nearly every day. So 2 weeks is, in most cases, not actually long enough to develop an infatuation unless you have mental issues.
Original post by joseon
I'm not defending what he did, but maybe he's insecure? Maybe he knew you wouldn't even give him a chance if he put up a real photo? Idk but you've got to realise that you know pretty much nothing about the guy you're infatuated with, he could be a thoroughly horrible individual. You've just created the image of this perfect guy, but he only exists in your mind.

but i would have... i dont judge FRIENDships over looks
and yeah i do feel sympathetic for him in that sense
and youre totally right with the whole image of this perfect guy in my mind... but thats not exactly my fault is it :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Mankytoes
What choices, talking to people?

How you engage with them. If it's online you can force yourself to not become attached, although I think that comes with time and learning.
Original post by The High Priest
It took me 6 or 7 months to fully realise I loved someone I talked to online nearly every day. So 2 weeks is, in most cases, not actually long enough to develop an infatuation unless you have mental issues.

i think it was infatuation with looks
i do suffer from a mental illness i take prozac for it
plus my life hasnt been very good lately ive suffered a lot these past few weeks
im not usually one to just fall for some randomer online
Reply 73
Came in expecting guy to be below Par

Expectations were confirmed by OP
Original post by KingGym
Came in expecting guy to be below Par

Expectations were confirmed by OP

ahhh what but he such a cutie

http://instagram.com/p/enDenNNQlc/
Reply 75
ahhh what but he such a cutie

http://instagram.com/p/enDenNNQlc/

If your into beta's yer he is.
Give your head a wobble luv.
If this is 100% legit (seems totally plausible), then you're a little silly to put it politely.

I would use one of the following criteria to prove someone is legit.

1) A Facebook video of some kind.
2) Tagged photos on Facebook.
3) A Skype call.
4) A "fansign" type thing.

If they don't have any of the four or cannot provide any of the four, they're almost certainly not who they say they are. It's not rocket science...
Original post by Seathestars
If this is 100% legit (seems totally plausible), then you're a little silly to put it politely.

I would use one of the following criteria to prove someone is legit.

1) A Facebook video of some kind.
2) Tagged photos on Facebook.
3) A Skype call.
4) A "fansign" type thing.

If they don't have any of the four or cannot provide any of the four, they're almost certainly not who they say they are. It's not rocket science...

Yeah I hadn't gotten up to that part yet
I only knew them from twitter and most people from twitter that I know and talk to are legit with Instagram videos and snapchats etc just this person was recovering from a surgery (he didn't lie about that) I didn't want to be all pushy asking for snapchat username and Facebook etc so that's why I decided to just find out for myself (instead of asking) and obviously I had a little doubt but tbh I think I wanted to believe it was him
Original post by KingGym
If your into beta's yer he is.

Whats "betas"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending