The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan won't cover accommodation

Please someone help or reassure me! My maintenance loan won't cover my accommodation costs and I'm really stressed/worried! Does anyone have any advice, I feel like I don't want to go to uni anymore :{
Reply 1
You will need to find a job to support your accomodation costs. Start saving right now would be my advice. If you feel uneasy about this you could defer for a year and work as much as you can and build up some savings, or re-apply to a local uni and live at home?
Get a part time job? A lot of people have to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, i wasn't eligible for loans since I'm from Ireland and I didn't qualify for grants so I have no other answers. Hopefully someone else will have a more appealing option.
Reply 3
Original post by MiaJoan
Please someone help or reassure me! My maintenance loan won't cover my accommodation costs and I'm really stressed/worried! Does anyone have any advice, I feel like I don't want to go to uni anymore :{

have you got any grants from student finance and/or the university, you can get a lot of money from them for maintenance on top of the loan
Reply 4
What kind of accommodation are you in or looking at? You may have to downgrade and stay in a less expensive room if you're in halls, and as others have said, get a job to support yourself as many do. Also, if your loan is smaller than other people's and based on household income, this *should* mean your parents are able to support you, though this isn't the case for everyone.
Reply 5
I do have a job which will cover some costs whilst at uni, I was just wondering if there's something I don't know about or something I have done wrong. My mum is a single parent but we live with her (soon to be ex) husband. Its not a great time right now as things are changing with my household. Thank you all for your advice :smile:
From what I've heard, it's quite common for maintenance loans not to cover accommodation costs. I've just been looking at UCL's accommodation fees and their seriously expensive compared to the other places I'm applying (even in London). I'm just saving up as much as I can now and planning how to live/eat cheaply. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest