The Student Room Group

Loans wont cover living

I’ve applied for accommodation at reading uni halls, ordering my 5 choices from most preferred to least preferred. I got only one offer back but it was my 5th least preferred option at a rent of 9k- the most expensive option. My loan is only 4k and that’s a 5k difference I need to cover up- I’m not gonna survive. I’ve emailed accommodation asking for any available support. Does anyone have any tips on finance or living that can help me out and get me through uni?
Original post by AvatarKorra0306
I’ve applied for accommodation at reading uni halls, ordering my 5 choices from most preferred to least preferred. I got only one offer back but it was my 5th least preferred option at a rent of 9k- the most expensive option. My loan is only 4k and that’s a 5k difference I need to cover up- I’m not gonna survive. I’ve emailed accommodation asking for any available support. Does anyone have any tips on finance or living that can help me out and get me through uni?

Are you going to submit a household income assessment to get a higher maintenance loan?
It's not what you want to hear but you simply might not be able to afford this. 9k is a lot of rent for anyone. Even with a few extra 1000 from reassessment or discretionary funding plus £150+ more each from from part time work that will cover your rent and nothing else :/
Reply 3
If your 4K loan is based on household income your parents are expected to make up the difference to a full student loan. If they haven't submitted income details to SLC encourage them to do so. If 4K is all you are entitled to, you are going to struggle to find any accommodation for that budget unless your family are able to top it up and/or you find a part time job. You could phone up the accommodation office and explain your position, but to be honest a £4000 budget won't get you very far, and the cheapest accommodation is always in demand.

If your parents can't help you may have no option but to defer entry, work in your gap year and hope for cheaper accommodation the following year.
Original post by normaw
Are you going to submit a household income assessment to get a higher maintenance loan?
Yes I have submitted one and waiting for details however the highest I can get will be around 5-6k might not be enough. Hopefully bursaries, a job and family support will get me through first year but I don’t want to heavily rely on my family.
Yes I have submitted one and waiting for details however the highest I can get will be around 5-6k might not be enough. Hopefully bursaries, a job and family support will get me through first year but I don’t want to heavily rely on my family.

If your household income is high enough for you to get a reduced maintenance loan, then there is an unwritten expectation that parents will make up the difference. A lot of university bursaries are also based on household income so check the websites of the unis you have applied to for their conditions as you might not be eligible. If your family won't support you, then a gap year might be your best option to earn some funds before you start uni.
You don’t have to stay in halls. Contact the Student Union to ask if there’s any boards/groups to find student shared houses/flats looking to fill a room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending