The Student Room Group

Student loan

I live in halls in london. In my first year I was able to rent my room for 39 weeks which meant I had just £2000 left of my student maintenance loan after rent. I have been awarded the full student maintenance loan as my mum doesn’t earn a great deal. This second year I was told I had to rent the room for 51 weeks which meant that the whole of my maintenance loan and more was taken up in rent.(the weekly rent also increased)Next year, the rent is increasing again by £35 per week which means my maintenance loan will leave me around £2500 short for my rent alone and obviously leaves nothing for living costs yet again. What can I do. I go to lma london and live in unite accommodation at stratford
Original post by Nickitams
I live in halls in london. In my first year I was able to rent my room for 39 weeks which meant I had just £2000 left of my student maintenance loan after rent. I have been awarded the full student maintenance loan as my mum doesn’t earn a great deal. This second year I was told I had to rent the room for 51 weeks which meant that the whole of my maintenance loan and more was taken up in rent.(the weekly rent also increased)Next year, the rent is increasing again by £35 per week which means my maintenance loan will leave me around £2500 short for my rent alone and obviously leaves nothing for living costs yet again. What can I do. I go to lma london and live in unite accommodation at stratford

Sadly your situation is becoming more common and it has been in the news recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-67206767

Things you can do:

- contact your uni and enquire about hardship funds for students
- get a part-time job that fits in around your course
- search for alternative accommodation with a shorter rental term
- ask Unite if they would reduce the term (or the rent) for loyal customers - unlikely but worth a try

Just to be aware, if your third year is also the final year of your degree, then you receive less maintenance loan as it is calculated to end when your course ends (loans for earlier years include an amount to cover the summer holidays).
Original post by normaw
Sadly your situation is becoming more common and it has been in the news recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-67206767

Things you can do:

- contact your uni and enquire about hardship funds for students
- get a part-time job that fits in around your course
- search for alternative accommodation with a shorter rental term
- ask Unite if they would reduce the term (or the rent) for loyal customers - unlikely but worth a try

Just to be aware, if your third year is also the final year of your degree, then you receive less maintenance loan as it is calculated to end when your course ends (loans for earlier years include an amount to cover the summer holidays).

I am not a topic starter, but thank you! Handling student finances when you're on a minimum loan without much parental support can be difficult. Discussing the financial expectations with your parents, given your loan situation, is a good first step. While balancing studies and part-time work is not easy, it's a practical approach to managing your expenses. You might also consider reviewing options like American web loan reviews for additional financial solutions.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending