The Student Room Group

SFE won't process my application without student halls contract BEFORE I START Uni

I am a student from Spain with pre-settled status and I will have been living in the UK for three years when my course in BSc Psychology starts in September (I have an unconditional offer). I am currently working as an au pair living with a host family but I will be moving into halls in September for my first year undergraduate. I intend to still work during the weekends with my host family.
I applied for the student loan and maintenance loan, the student loan has been confirmed and originally a maintenance loan was confirmed but as they needed more details of my parents (who live in Spain) income as they appear to lost the original papers I sent with my application. Having resent my parents financials I then received an email asking for evidence that I will be living in halls (although the application form itself shows there is no requirement for evidence when applying).
Giving that I haven't started university yet the only evidence I have is the confirmation of my application to university halls, which Ive submitted a copy of.
The host family also provided a cover letter confirming I will be moving out their house once I start University.
SFE has contacted me saying this is not sufficient evidence and they have requested that I send a copy of the contract of the University halls. They also told me that they have now reduced my maintenance loan to 0 and they will not keep processing my application until they receive this evidence.
I'll only be given a contract once the University halls place is allocated to me, given that there is a number of different accommodations I could be allocated at (I am guaranteed a place). This will only take place in July or August but also it means I am potentially signing up for a contract without having any idea what maintenance loan I´ll be given and whether I'll even be able to afford to go to University in the first place. It also means that my application will be processed very late and I probably won't receive maintenance loan funding before first term.
Surely this is completely unfair as and I´m sure no other first year student has been asked for evidence of their University accommodation before they've started.
Ive seen in other forums that sometimes they ask for evidence to the students AFTER they move into the accommodation which makes more sense.
What can I do here? I am incredibly stressed here and Im considering withdrawing my University offer as I have now no idea if SFE are going to give me any funding.
Thanks for your support.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by spanishstudent1
I am a student from Spain with pre-settled status and I will have been living in the UK for three years when my course in BSc Psychology starts in September (I have an unconditional offer). I am currently working as an au pair living with a host family but I will be moving into halls in September for my first year undergraduate. I intend to still work during the weekends with my host family.
I applied for the student loan and maintenance loan, the student loan has been confirmed and originally a maintenance loan was confirmed but as they needed more details of my parents (who live in Spain) income as they appear to lost the original papers I sent with my application. Having resent my parents financials I then received an email asking for evidence that I will be living in halls.
Giving that I haven't started university yet the only evidence I have is the confirmation of my application to university halls, which Ive submitted a copy of.
The host family also provided a cover letter confirming I will be moving out their house once I start University.
SFE has contacted me saying this is not sufficient evidence and they have requested that I send a copy of the contract of the University halls. They also told me that they have now reduced my maintenance loan to 0 and they will not keep processing my application until they receive this evidence.
I'll only be given a contract once the University halls place is allocated to me, given that there is a number of different accommodations I could be allocated at (I am guaranteed a place). This will only take place in July or August but also it means I am potentially signing up for a contract without having any idea what maintenance loan I´ll be given and whether I'll even be able to afford to go to University in the first place. It also means that my application will be processed very late and I probably won't receive maintenance loan funding before first term.
Surely this is completely unfair as and I´m sure no other first year student has been asked for evidence of their University accommodation before they've started.
Ive seen in other forums that sometimes they ask for evidence to the students AFTER they move into the accommodation which makes more sense.
What can I do here? I am incredibly stressed here and Im considering withdrawing my University offer as I have now no idea if SFE are going to give me any funding.
Thanks for your support.

Hi there,

If you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or by using the live chat in your account so we can look into this further for you.

Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or by using the live chat in your account so we can look into this further for you.

Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason,
When I called the number 3 days ago they said they can't process my application without the contract evidence (which seems completely irregular) and wouldn't help me further.
Original post by spanishstudent1
Hi Jason,
When I called the number 3 days ago they said they can't process my application without the contract evidence (which seems completely irregular) and wouldn't help me further.

Hi there,

The reason I asked was so we can check your account and see exactly what is needed. However, if we've asked for a contract for your university halls and you don't yet have this then I would advise uploading a cover letter stating this to your account. It may be that the assessors will need this to process the maintenance loan but if you at least make them aware of the situation. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending