The Student Room Group

Help, don't know what to do with great offers, odd circumstances

So I have offers for 2014 entry for philosophy

LSE AAA
UCL AAA
Edinburgh AAB
Glasgow AAB

I made an early application in September, but then since the beginning of November I've been pretty ill and haven't attended college or done any work towards my a levels.
My college have contacted me and told me that there's no point me going back this year because I won't be able to catch up in time for exams, get coursework done etc. but that they will let me retake the year if I want
I'm already a year older (19 in may) because I had to take a year out of school because of being ill and really don't want to have to retake my a levels (I'll be twenty next year) and just want to get to university. And I would have to reapply, so there's no guarantee I would get the same offers.
I'd be glad to go to any of the universities that have offered me a place.
Is there any way I can accept my offers?
I don't know what to do and I'm panicking about it a lot.
Any advice?
(edited 10 years ago)
You're going to have to withdraw the application, supposing there's no way to get course-works etc.. marked.
Original post by sollochs

LSE AAA
UCL AAA
Edinburgh AAB
Glasgow AAB

I made an early application in September, but then since the beginning of November I've been pretty ill and haven't attended college or done any work towards my a levels.
My college have contacted me and told me that there's no point me going back this year because I won't be able to catch up in time for exams, get coursework done etc. but that they will let me retake the year if I want
I'm already a year older (19 in may) because I had to take a year out of school because of being ill and really don't want to have to retake my a levels (I'll be twenty next year) and just want to get to university. And I would have to reapply, so there's no guarantee I would get the same offers.
Any advice?

You probably need to contact the universities and ask if you can defer entry until 2015.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You probably need to contact the universities and ask if you can defer entry until 2015.

I believe he would still need to meet the offer this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately it sounds as though your chances of meeting your offers are exceedingly low, and so you won't be going to uni in September.

If you're planning on doing Y13 next academic year, I think the best bet will be to speak to the unis, tell them what's happened, and ask if they would give you an offer again next year.

Unfortunately *Stefan* is correct in saying that you would have to meet the conditions of any deferred offer by August 31st anyway, so that's a bit of a non-starter.
Original post by *Stefan*
I believe he would still need to meet the offer this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you're quite right. Having a senior moment.
Reply 6
is there no way you can ask to be entered into the exams this year and attempt to self teach the A-Levels. Or find an exam centre/willing school near you? I suppose it might be too late with coursework deadlines but maybe not! Self-teaching A-Levels is definitely not impossible, but it is very hard work. You have to be very self-motivated but essentially if you do lots of reading around your subjects and manage to work out what makes a good essay then you will do well. But then again, if your ill maybe it would be better to focus on getting yourself healthy first so you can take them next year? Starting uni a couple of years late really isn't the end of the world. There is barely any difference between a 20 year old and an 18 year old. You could try to take one or two modules this summer so you have less work next year.

Talk to your universities and see what they say about it all.

sorry if this is all a bit incoherent!
Reply 7
Original post by sollochs

LSE AAA
UCL AAA
Edinburgh AAB
Glasgow AAB

Any advice?

contact the universities but its highly unlikely they will accept you without you completing your a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending