The Student Room Group

ToK Presentation (Need some help !)

I'm planning on using Climate Change as my Real life situation. How can I derive my knowledge question from this topic, and also how can I get a few KI from this topic.

If any of you guys can help me with the structuring, that what be of great help.

Any helpful replies will be appreciated !!:smile::smile:
Reply 1
well, as i did tok presentation, we had only our knowledge issue, and i've never heard of knowledge question :biggrin:
i think you could do something like 'to what extent can we state that global warming is happening' and you could investigate different scientists' perspectives on that and what forms people opinions about the global warming etc. :smile: you can also google some interesting ideas to inspire yourself, but don't copy them, of course :biggrin:

good luck with your presentation :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Justalittlelate
I'm planning on using Climate Change as my Real life situation. How can I derive my knowledge question from this topic, and also how can I get a few KI from this topic.

If any of you guys can help me with the structuring, that what be of great help.

Do you still need help?

Suggestions:

1. How do we know that climate change is real?

2. How do we know that phenomena ascribed to climate change actually points to a larger picture of climate change.

3. How do people from different professions approach climate change?
e.g. Do politicians know the same things as scientists when they claim that there is climate change.

If you need to limit the scope of your topic, you might want to focus on the climate change summit in Japan, that is coming up soon.

Beats going back decades and picking and choosing your sources.
Original post by Justalittlelate

Hi there!

I was awarded 20/20 for my ToK presentation and though I'm no expert, I think I should be able to help you out a bit.

This is how I prepared for my presentation. Mind you there're tons of guides and video tutorials online which are waaayyy better than what I'm about to write! Again, I'm no expert. You have been warned...

Content:

First off, your KI/KQ needs to be 'decontextualised'. It should bear no resemblence to your RLS and should not contain phrases like "Climate Change" - but instead it must be decontextualised into its respective AOKs (NS).

Before continuing, may I know what sort of "Issue" you noticed/observed/found interesting in that RLS of yours? Is it about the divide and polarisation within the knowledge community (scientists) on the existence/impact of Climate Change? Or is it the inability for the scientists to reach a consensus on Climate Change that you found interesting? Or is it about the skepticism that is so prevalent with certain knowledge communities that keeps on questioning the reliability of evidence, proof, and justifications given to prove Climate Change?

What is it actually about the RLS that you found interesting? There is no right or wrong to this, but some "Issues" are easier to expand than others, and as an extension, some "Issues" can be easily treated with TOK concepts compared to others.

Now, find out what sort of "Issue" you noticed/observed/found interesting in that RLS of yours.

The possibilities are endless. Found one? Good. That'll be your Title of Presentation.

Let's say I thought the divide was kinda cool and interesting. Scientists aren't able to reach a consensus even until today when it coes to Climate Change. There's this divide. Hmmm. That's pretty odd. So I'll use that as my "Issue"

TITLE: Inability for Knowledge Communities to Reach a Consensus.

So now let's extract some possible KIs from these "Issues". Since it needs to be decontextualised from its RLS, my KIs can't have words like Climate Change. I'd also like to explore this idea of "consensus" even further in other AOKS, not only NS.

Possible KIs include (but not limited to) :

1) To what extent is the pursuit of knowledge in Natural Science and the Arts hindered when knowledge communities are unable to reach a consensus?

2) Is knowledge considered to be progressing in Natural Science and the Arts when its knowledge communities are unable to reach a consensus?

So you brainstorm for some KIs like this. It has been decontextualised. It is rather general. It should have its AOK stated already. Being able to compare/contrast several different AOKs/WOKs will net high marks. Take your time okay? This part of the planning is the most important, so make sure it's good!

And then when you pick and perfect a KI, you think of a #1claim and a #1counterclaim and a #2claim and a #2counterclaim. You should be able to do this by yourself I hope? That's about it for contents.

Structure:

The intro should be about you building that bridge between your RLS and your KI. No more than 3-5 minutes.

First, introduce the RLS briefly. YOU DO NOT WANT TO EXPAND ON YOUR RLS DESCRIPTIVELY. Far too many of my classmates made that grave mistake. Introduce your RLS, tell the class about this "Issue" that you thought was rather interesting, then you engage that "Issue" with your KI. There needs to be a thought process from your RLS to your KI

Next, go into your 2 claims and 2 counterclaims. The ToK book from Cambridge did a good job expanding on this.

Oh in your intro and body, put in tons of personal insight and experience. This accounts for knower's perspective. Link things with your own life and your own experiences. It helps a lot

And lastly, wrap it up with a conclusion, no more than 3-5 minutes. My teacher says the conclusion should be "forward looking". There needs to be that "Discovery Aha! moment" with regards to the idea of "consensus".
When it comes to a conclusion, it should not just be about repeating your thesis. It's about showcasing your newfound epiphany on the thesis.

I hope this helps you in your presentation!

N.B. I'm a May 2014 candidate, so things may have changed and may no longer be relevant to your presentation.
Make sure that you make the presentation personal to you. There's a whole section of marks for "Knower's Perspective"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending