The Student Room Group

Exam Question Predictions? Please?

So, my college completely screwed us over. Our teacher was absent for 6 months of the year and our supply teacher was given the wrong curriculum, and I am taking both AS and A2 Sociology. There is no time for us to properly learn it all now, so I was wondering if anybody could help me by predicting the likely essay questions to come up in both

AS Sociology - Culture and Identity and Education
A2 Sociology - Mass Media and Crime and Deviance.

I am pulling 11 hour study days in the library in college and it still isn't enough, and I need to get the grade for Uni next year. Any help would be perfect right about now... Also if anyone has a list of possible exam questions they could send me?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for asking so much
Laura

P.S. If anyone can predict the AS Psychology questions too, please, then I would be so grateful...
Whilst I am sorry for your situation and I'm sure someone will be able to supply you with a list of past questions, I have to say for the benefit of others that forecasting questions is a really dangerous pastime, as nobody really knows and it leads to people neglecting areas of the syllabus, which can lead to disaster. Certainly past patterns of questions can be observed, but exam setters are not stupid and as a teacher I can confirm that exam papers have to be opened in front of students in the exam, unless an exams officer has to open them to get a sample paper for a reason such as enlarging it for a candidate with special needs. No matter what you are told, teachers really do NOT know in advance what is on it, not even those who are examiners of that paper.
Original post by thedarkestrose
Ah, I see your point. What I really need is a list of possible questions and stuff. Not dead set certain questions, but just vague ideas and example questions. I am not good at wording here *facepalm*
Lemme try again.

Basically, if Marxism came up last year, then I will focus on it last, but I will include it. I just would like to know what essay questions I would need to cover every topic. Because the way we are doing it in class is just by answering classroom discussions. I have no idea what is going on! And by going through the past papers, I know what essay questions have been done, and I have essays for those prepared, but I don't want something to be put on the exams that I haven't studied and hasn't been on a past paper before.
Literally, I am learning an entire curriculum from past papers, which are unlikely to be brought up again.

I think all I am asking for is a list of essay questions which covers all the topics in all my subjects. I'm sorry I couldn't make it clear. Wording requests is difficult to me (mild autism :/)
No, I understood what you meant, and I can't help you because it's not my subject, but I thought I'd give your thread a bump at the same time as warning anyone else who stopped by that forecasting questions is a dangerous practice.
Reply 3
I have no idea how to work this. I just deleted the message before yours... Third time lucky....
And thank you :smile: I am reaching the point of complete desperation here, and nobody seems to want to post anything about the questions, just referring to past papers all the time. But that is not very helpful at all, since those questions have already been asked...
Thanks you again
Reply 4
I haven't done sociology A-level for a number of years but I doubt it has changed significantly so here are my thoughts...

just revise broadly using a couple of key text books, they really don't expect that much at A-level as long as you have a basic understanding of all the relevant concepts in the text books and how they link together you should be fine. Discussions in class are actually one of the best ways to critically analyse these concepts so you should try to engage in these discussions. When I was revising I practically memorised the relevant sections in text books by writing and re-writing them out until I could do it from memory, I could then draw on this knowledge in the exams as a base. I spent about 3 days per exam hard-core revising and got As. It's a lot about how you present your argument more than the knowledge as long as you can show you understand the arguments.
I have no idea how to work this. I just deleted the message before yours... Third time lucky....
And thank you :smile: I am reaching the point of complete desperation here, and nobody seems to want to post anything about the questions, just referring to past papers all the time. But that is not very helpful at all, since those questions have already been asked...
Thanks you again

I'm sure someone else will join in sooner or later. It's not a good time for people to be posting. You will probably do better with evenings or weekends, plus the holidays have now started and people will be revising.

As to how this works, click on the reply button at the bottom of a post to alert someone you're answering them. You'll get the hang of it soon, and then, I'm afraid, you'll find it's addictive.
Reply 6
The thing is that I have a problem where I know the stuff. I am the best in the class in the discussions. But when it comes to wording it, it is too jumbled in my head to be made into coherent essays. That is why I want the list of possible questions, because if I answer them all, and get my tutor to mark it, then I know which sociologist goes under which topic, and I will know how it is all meant to be worded before I sit the exam.

I am appealing for more time in the exams because of how much this issue is holding me back, but it doesn't look likely so I am just trying to practice getting it all down first. If it were an oral exam I reckon I could ace it...
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm sure someone else will join in sooner or later. It's not a good time for people to be posting. You will probably do better with evenings or weekends, plus the holidays have now started and people will be revising.

As to how this works, click on the reply button at the bottom of a post to alert someone you're answering them. You'll get the hang of it soon, and then, I'm afraid, you'll find it's addictive.

I browsed it a bit before I joined (I've been doing ALevels for three years now because I failed the first two :frown: ) And it has always seemed like a helpful place :smile: I just hope that someone can poke me in the right direction...
I browsed it a bit before I joined (I've been doing ALevels for three years now because I failed the first two :frown: ) And it has always seemed like a helpful place :smile: I just hope that someone can poke me in the right direction...

I'm sure someone will.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending