The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bleh. I've been through this so many times in RS.

It's hard for any of us to comment unless we've been in so much pain. But anyway I think it can be abused too much. For instance it can be forced upon the person by relatives for numerous to consider Euthanasia for the wrong reasons (ie. relatives want the persons money or no longer want to look after the suffering person). Also it isn't unrare for people to have mental illnesses (either depression etc. or were they believe they have something wrong with them, when the actually don't) and they want to die.

I am pro-choice so I would like to see it legal however illnesses, pain and mental health should be checked (on what kind of scale though?) and if someone is in the correct mental state (how can we be sure they really want to die?) they should be allowed to be legally murdered.

Suicide is better, all round. No one is left with the guilt.

But like I've already said it is difficult for us to justify Euthanasia unless we are in a situation were we are considering it. I don't like it very much, however.
Reply 2
happysunshine

Suicide is better, all round. No one is left with the guilt.

True, but euthanasia is also called assisted suicide because the person wanting to die is incapable of bringing it upon themselves. Besides, if I wanted to kill myself I'd rather inject myself with a lethal injection than jump off a cliff, hang myself, shoot msyelf etc etc. :smile:

Also, active euthanasia = actually killing someone
passive euthanasia = allowing someone to die (i.e. ending palliative care)

But when should palliative care end? When should it even begin?
blissy
True, but euthanasia is also called assisted suicide because the person wanting to die is incapable of bringing it upon themselves. Besides, if I wanted to kill myself I'd rather inject myself with a lethal injection than jump off a cliff, hang myself, shoot msyelf etc etc. :smile:

Also, active euthanasia = actually killing someone
passive euthanasia = allowing someone to die (i.e. ending palliative care)

But when should palliative care end? When should it even begin?
Hehe I had self suicide then deleted it :tongue: But I suppose if someone isn't capable of doing it themselves they have to get someone else to do it?

How can actually killing someone be labelled "active euthanasia"? Actually how can there be different terms, either way you are ending someones life.
Reply 4
happysunshine

How can actually killing someone be labelled "active euthanasia"? Actually how can there be different terms, either way you are ending someones life.

I suppose administering a substance that ends a person's life with their consent (or something along those lines). Exactly, I never came to a conclusion about any of it. It's all so contradictory and subjective!
It's difficult to have an opinion until you have to deal with the reality of it in your own life...
Reply 6
Rakooga
It's difficult to have an opinion until you have to deal with the reality of it in your own life...

Well, my boyfriend's mother died last year at 42 after 10 years of suffering from diabetes, blindness, difficulty walking etc and was then diagnosed with lyphoma. For a purely selfish reason, I think it would have been better if she had died ealier. She was suffering a lot and we were relieved when we found out. Unfortunately because she was ins o much pain, she was on morphine for the last few weeks of her life and did not know what she was doing and was co-erced into signing a will that was very wrong.

edit: my goodness that makes me sound awful! I didn't mean it to come across like that!
sorry to hear that blissy. Sounds like it was a tough time to say the least. You make the point that you also have pressures on the family and friends as well as the person suffering.
Reply 8
But what about the person helping someone to committ suicide...the knowledge, you killed someone must be awful to live with or even accept...in spite of the relief of suffering.

JoKing.
Reply 9
JoKing
But what about the person helping someone to committ suicide...the knowledge, you killed someone must be awful to live with or even accept...in spite of the relief of suffering.

JoKing.

true- but they can morally object and do not have to administer the dose. I am sure that there is also concelling facilities for people in that situation.
Reply 10
JoKing
Hey,
Do you think that euthanasia could ever be right? Or would it just end up going too far?

JoKing.

As others has mentioned, it could be abused and may pose a risk to several patients. However, not allowing it is the same as making all those patients suffer when they just want to die. I think you could allow it, but under very strict circumstances. You should at least need an approval from the patients doctor and any decision should also be run through an indipendent evaluation.
Reply 11
Jonatan
As others has mentioned, it could be abused and may pose a risk to several patients. However, not allowing it is the same as making all those patients suffer when they just want to die. I think you could allow it, but under very strict circumstances. You should at least need an approval from the patients doctor and any decision should also be run through an indipendent evaluation.

perhaps it should be controlled like abortion: the approval of two doctors is needed.

or perhaps it should be dealt with by a jury? with information given by experts, but the final decision resting upon ordinary people?
Rakooga

I agree with you on this.. How could you know how it really feels like to be that desperate to want to end your own life by way of a drug? You'd have to be in that situation to do it..
I'd say though.. that if someone is that desperate to want to do that then all the power to them.. Do it if thats what you want.
I think euthanasia is justified if it is a certainty that a person is going to die from an illness or disease that causes a lot of pain.

One of my relatives was put under a lot of extra pain to be "helped". He lived for a while longer in immense pain, then died, not knowing where he was, or who he was. If he hadn't been given the treatment then he would have died in a lot less pain. Sooner, yes, but he would have been happier.
I think it's the same principle for euthanasia. If the person knows what they are agreeing to, and not being forced into it, then it is justified, especially if otherwise they would be living in a lot of pain, just to live a little longer...
Fleff
I think euthanasia is justified if it is a certainty that a person is going to die from an illness or disease that causes a lot of pain.

One of my relatives was put under a lot of extra pain to be "helped". He lived for a while longer in immense pain, then died, not knowing where he was, or who he was. If he hadn't been given the treatment then he would have died in a lot less pain. Sooner, yes, but he would have been happier.
I think it's the same principle for euthanasia. If the person knows what they are agreeing to, and not being forced into it, then it is justified, especially if otherwise they would be living in a lot of pain, just to live a little longer...

Yes! Very nice.
Reply 15
JoKing
Hey,
Do you think that euthanasia could ever be right?

Personally, no, I don't think it could be justified. I realize I've never been in that type of situation before, and that yes, maybe a bit of my religion is coming into play here, but still...
I might not be able to comprehend how much suffering such a person is going through, and yes, it might seem more humane to put an end to it (which I do sympathize--even agree--with). Nevertheless, though we have the means to relieve them of their suffering, that does not, however, give us the right to do so. In my opinion. Of course, I don't believe suicide is right, either, but that's something else.
Reply 16
Fleff

I thnk the problem is not the theoretical ethics in a situation where we know all circumstances, but what if we are mistaken. What if this will lead to people being right out murdered, also, most suecides are impulsive acts and when the person survives he most oftenly does not try again. The question is not whether we should allow someone to die when we are absolutely certain that there is nothing more we can do for him/her the question is what will happen in all those cases when someone (a doctor or a jury or whoever) makes a mistake. It all looks very nice on paper, but how does it work out in reality?
Reply 17
[QUOTE="la" La="La"]
JoKing
Hey,

Personally, no, I don't think it could be justified. I realize I've never been in that type of situation before, and that yes, maybe a bit of my religion is coming into play here, but still...
I might not be able to comprehend how much suffering such a person is going through, and yes, it might seem more humane to put an end to it (which I do sympathize--even agree--with). Nevertheless, though we have the means to relieve them of their suffering, that does not, however, give us the right to do so. In my opinion. Of course, I don't believe suicide is right, either, but that's something else.

Its always difficult to extrapolate what is really a case by case dilemma into a general policy. Im sure one could come up with a huge load of situations were you would have a different opinion.
Jonatan
the question is what will happen in all those cases when someone (a doctor or a jury or whoever) makes a mistake.

The same could be said for the death penalty in America then...
[QUOTE="la" La="La"]
JoKing
Hey,

Yes, but what if they give their permission to or even BEG you to end their suffering?
OR what if they are in a coma, and never going to wake up, would you let them lay in that bed for years to come, remaining a vegitable, with no possible hopes of awaking? I'd pull the plug.

Latest

Trending

Trending