The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostGear
As if you're any better? eff off mate

Better at what?

The Arsenal soc used to be the most informative of the all the societies with some great posters. Now it's just become the most aggressive (your post just further proves my point).
Original post by EmperorMustard
Couldn't get a work permit.

Joel Campbell couldn't get one either. Didn't stop Wenger signing him! Although in all fairness, that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Even when Manchester City signed him, there was talk of him being used as a makeweight for Fabregas and not many people thought he'd do well.

Quite scary to think Arsenal could easily have ended up with Toure, Ronaldo and Cech in the same window.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Joel Campbell couldn't get one either. Didn't stop Wenger signing him! Although in all fairness, that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Even when Manchester City signed him, there was talk of him being used as a makeweight for Fabregas and not many people thought he'd do well.

Quite scary to think Arsenal could easily have ended up with Toure, Ronaldo and Cech in the same window.

That Ronaldo transfer was very dodgy if you look into it.

I reckon if Wenger/Arsenal played a little 'game' with the agents, wink wink nudge nudge, that we would have got Ronaldo. Utd played that 'game' and snatched him at the last minute :wink:
Original post by Zürich
Utd played that 'game' and snatched him at the last minute :wink:

sauce.
Original post by Zürich
That Ronaldo transfer was very dodgy if you look into it.

I reckon if Wenger/Arsenal played a little 'game' with the agents, wink wink nudge nudge, that we would have got Ronaldo. Utd played that 'game' and snatched him at the last minute :wink:

If it wasn't for Carlos Queiroz, he'd have been Arsenals no.9.
Original post by sr90

even if we did, im pretty sure we would have sold all of them anyway during the transition years.

can you imagine Arsene saying no to 80 million :lol:
Original post by sr90
If it wasn't for Carlos Queiroz, he'd have been Arsenals no.9.

That and the fact Wenger wasnt prepared to mess about with what was clearly a very dodgy transfer. Old Fergie didnt have such concerns, or he had better lawyers.

Original post by heiljoe
sauce.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/jan/19/inside-sport-cristiano-ronaldo-agent

Utd and the agents obviously 'worked' something out :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
That and the fact Wenger wasnt prepared to mess about with what was clearly a very dodgy transfer. Old Fergie didnt have such concerns, or he had better lawyers.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/jan/19/inside-sport-cristiano-ronaldo-agent

Utd and the agents obviously 'worked' something out :rolleyes:

hmm but at the same time Ronaldo was no secret either. Gerrard Houllier was in for him too.

Man I hope we play Madrid next year :dreams:
(edited 9 years ago)
Wenger might use Vela's clause to get Griezzmann in exchange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

doubt it. if he can get a player for 3m or 25m with similar abilities, fairly apparent he would take the former
Original post by heiljoe
hmm but at the same time Ronaldo was no secret either. Gerrard Houllier was in for him too.

Wasnt a secret obviously, but if you look at some of the payments made then the transfer is just dodgy tbh. Wenger's not the type to get involved in such transfers really, I think that's why we lost out. Ronaldo was all geared up to join, visited the training ground etc before all of this agent stuff started happening. Dont think it was Queiroz at all.
Original post by Zürich
Wasnt a secret obviously, but if you look at some of the payments made then the transfer is just dodgy tbh. Wenger's not the type to get involved in such transfers really, I think that's why we lost out. Ronaldo was all geared up to join, visited the training ground etc before all of this agent stuff started happening. Dont think it was Queiroz at all.

“I had Ronald at the training ground,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “I showed him around and I gave him a shirt. It had got his name on the back.
“But in the end it was a question of the amount of transfer fee between the two clubs. Of course, he has proved to be a bargain [at £12.25 million]. But the price that we discussed was in fact much lower, it was divided by three.

Arsene's own words.

Lol imagine we had signed Ronaldo for 4m though :rofl:
Original post by heiljoe
“I had Ronald at the training ground,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “I showed him around and I gave him a shirt. It had got his name on the back.
“But in the end it was a question of the amount of transfer fee between the two clubs. Of course, he has proved to be a bargain [at £12.25 million]. But the price that we discussed was in fact much lower, it was divided by three.

Arsene's own words.

Lol imagine we had signed Ronaldo for 4m though :rofl:

I think it was as much about the agents getting involved, probably illegally, as it was about the hike. Both are linked of course as well.

In those days Wenger was absolutely hustling. RVP £2.5m, Fabregas free, Toure free, G.Silva £3m, Henry £9m and had Zlatan, Toure, Ronaldo just chillin in the training ground waiting for a contract offer :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
I think it was as much about the agents getting involved, probably illegally, as it was about the hike. Both are linked of course as well.

In those days Wenger was absolutely hustling. RVP £2.5m, Fabregas free, Toure free, G.Silva £3m, Henry £9m and had Zlatan, Toure, Ronaldo just chillin in the training ground waiting for a contract offer :biggrin:

Fabregas came on loan:rolleyes:

wonder how much Henry would go for in today's market...

swear we in for Ribery at one point too
Original post by midnightice
What does that make Sanogo? :rofl:

Compare the standard of the team 10 years ago to now

Original post by Zerforax
Better at what?

The Arsenal soc used to be the most informative of the all the societies with some great posters. Now it's just become the most aggressive (your post just further proves my point).

This 19'th thread has generally been a lot better. I read a few pages from the old threads and will admit it was miles better than now but it's improved a lot recently. The guy who responded to you hardly posts here anyway (recently at least)

Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is absolute no reason to do this. One costs 3m the other in the 20-30m range. Both have 16 goals in La liga but one has already played in the EPL. Why go for Griezman?
Original post by heiljoe
Fabregas came on loan:rolleyes:

No he didn't. It was September 2003 when he signed, I remember it happening because it came up on the SSN ticker and I was saying to my Dad what a strange name it was. Bit of an odd way to remember it but oh well, I was 12 years old :tongue:
Original post by sr90
No he didn't. It was September 2003 when he signed, I remember it happening because it came up on the SSN ticker and I was saying to my Dad what a strange name it was. Bit of an odd way to remember it but oh well, I was 12 years old :tongue:

Jokes lost on this clown
we should thank united for how bad they were this year - UEFA just announced that as they failed to make the CL at all, we stay in Pot ONE, otherwise we would have fallen into pot TWO with one of Porto, Real Madrid (and/or atheltico), , Barca, Dortmund, PSG in our group from pot one, and possibly, liverpool from pot three and Monaco from four .

with that kind of draw, Thursdays were a dead cert - but now, we can revel in the "we're still in the Champions League until the 2L of the last 16 in February''

As it is, we could still get - Us, Juve, Liverpool and Monaco....hmmm

Pot I
Real Madrid
FC Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Chelsea
Benfica
Atletico Madrid
*Arsenal
*FC Porto

Pot II
Schalke
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
Paris Saint-Germain
Shakhtar Donetsk
Basel
*Zenit St. Petersburg
Manchester City

Pot III
*Bayer Leverkusen
Olympiakos
CSKA Moscow
Ajax
*Napoli
Liverpool
Sporting Lisbon
Galatasaray

Pot IV
Anderlecht
*Salzburg
Roma
*Steaua Bucarest
*Celtic
*BATE Borisov
*TBA
AS Monaco

looking at Pot Two I'm pretty confident our days in Pot One are numbered - City, PSG and Juve will see to that if they make the quarters and we don't...
(edited 9 years ago)
Liverpool, Juve, Monaco - Potential group of death if we're in it

Latest