The Student Room Group

NHS BOSS - Please help break it down for me!

Hi everyone,

So I'm hopeful on studying Medicine this summer, and whilst I was making my student loan application, I found that I was eligible for a full bursary on the NHS BOSS thing.

However, I was told that I could not now obtain a loan from Student Finance England, since I was eligible for the NHS bursary thing?

I am confused, can someone tell me how it works for medical students?

All the documentation about it makes my head hurt a little :redface:
Ohh you're so lucky
I believe Med Students only get the Tuition fees paid fully during year 5 and 6. Does that mean I need to get a student loan for the first four years? What do I do at the end of the fourth year, can I just cancel my student loan and use the NHS Boss?
Assuming you're going to do a 5 year course as an English school leaver...

Year 1 - 4: SFE give you a tuition fee loan, and a maintenance loan (+/- maintenance grant)
Year 5 (+/- 6): SFE give you half the basic maintenance loan, the NHS pay your tuition fees and give you a maintenance bursary.

So for year 1, you just need to apply to Student Finance. Towards the end of your fourth year, you need to apply for both SFE and NHS funding, and expect both of them to screw up immensely on multiple occasions before you see a penny.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Assuming you're going to do a 5 year course as an English school leaver...

Year 1 - 4: SFE give you a tuition fee loan, and a maintenance loan (+/- maintenance grant)
Year 5 (+/- 6): SFE give you half the basic maintenance loan, the NHS pay your tuition fees and give you a maintenance bursary.

So for year 1, you just need to apply to Student Finance. Towards the end of your fourth year, you need to apply for both SFE and NHS funding, and expect both of them to screw up immensely on multiple occasions before you see a penny.

Thank you so much! Crystal clear now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending