The Student Room Group

Patient giving me his personal number

One of my long staying patients i have been working with about 9 months gave me their phone number yesterday on the ward, he'd said he build such a rapport with me and wanted to keep in touch as I’m transferring to a different hospital.

Firstly as I'm actually a registered AHP (allied health professional) I'm sure I'm not allowed to enter into any friendships with patients outside of work

He is in his 60’s and I’m mid 30’s and sees me as his friend.

I think texting him is against the rules - am I right?
Reply 1
Yes
If there's a good enough set of reasons from your point of view, you should break this rule.

What's the win for you if you stay in touch? What would you get out of it?

EG If he's a multi-millionaire, will pop his clogs in 6 months, you should go ahead and see if you can marry him pronto.
So, you tell us, is there anything outstanding about him at all?
Reply 3
I get a friend who on a personal level have things in common with, such as interest, hobbies and past horrible family experiences
Reply 4
I get a friend who on a personal level have things in common with, such as interest, hobbies and past horrible family experience.

Original post by Dunnig Kruger
If there's a good enough set of reasons from your point of view, you should break this rule.

What's the win for you if you stay in touch? What would you get out of it?

EG If he's a multi-millionaire, will pop his clogs in 6 months, you should go ahead and see if you can marry him pronto.
So, you tell us, is there anything outstanding about him at all?
Reply 5
You should not take his number. That is not ethically sound . Speaking as a fellow health care professional. If you have his number, you should throw it away.
Reply 6
I would be surprised if you are allowed to keep in touch and maintain friendships as it has many potential pitfalls in terms of inappropriate behaviour and misunderstandings arising. Some health care professionals may be more tightly regulated than others. I would avoid it, but you could ask your boss or union
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

It is fine to accept the online & offline social overtures of a consenting adult who is not your patient or a very close relative of a patient whose healthcare you are personally involved with.
But do not risk any blurring of the lines between your professional life, judgement at work and your private life.
Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
One of my long staying patients i have been working with about 9 months gave me their phone number yesterday on the ward, he'd said he build such a rapport with me and wanted to keep in touch as I’m transferring to a different hospital.

Firstly as I'm actually a registered AHP (allied health professional) I'm sure I'm not allowed to enter into any friendships with patients outside of work

You know the right answer and also the one you would like to hear, one ensures you remain ethical the other leads to you coming across as nice and not hurting their feelings. It makes no difference that you are a AHP or his/your age, any person working with people in a professional capacity should remember the possible implications of blurring the lines between you as a person and you as a professional. Its a slippery slope that can come back to bite you later.

Greg
I get a friend who on a personal level have things in common with, such as interest, hobbies and past horrible family experience.

If you come across him in the natural pursuit of your hobbies without going out of your way at all, then that's fine to interact with him in that context.
For example if you're both into an obscure hobby like ant farming and you happen to see him at an ant farm show it would be fair game to go round the show together with him.

Surely you must have friends already? Or the ability to make friends if all your old ones have emigrated? So on the face of it, there doesn't seem to be enough of a win for you to break the professional boundary for him.
Reply 10

You're an adult, in a professional role, and you come on a forum mostly populated by young teens to ask what the rules are in your job? Why not just look them up in your contract or find the relevant Code of Conduct for the NHS Trust?

Can't believe you even asked the question as it should be obvious the answer is inform your line manager that this has happened, don't keep the number and don't keep in touch.
Reply 11
Ok
Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending