The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not all colleges run ents, there are a select few that are seen as being the big ones. Queen's Ents, for example, is the biggest provider and (through some financial wheeler-dealing) is rich and professionally run. Clare, too, runs ents although these tend to be more DnB with the occasional injection of cheese from Fat Popadaddies and the like. Other colleges such as Churchill have Pavs and stuff, but none is really as famous as Queen's.
Reply 21
Not all colleges allow people from other colleges to their ents. Actually places that do may be in the minority (I'm not sure though...).
It depends what terminology they use.

Generally, Ent = open to the student public

Bop = college only.

(In Clare at least...)
Reply 23
Oh, well, I didn't realise that (I actually just meant event... which is what I thought ent meant).
Reply 24
DrCube
Oh, well, I didn't realise that (I actually just meant event... which is what I thought ent meant).

I always thought it was short for entertainment but could be wrong. But as FTB says, at Clare, ents include Friday/Saturday Clare Cellars (DJ's/other live acts, usually hip hop/DnB based), jazz, open mic nights and comedy, all of which are open to the whole university. Bops are a different matter, they're our usual start/end of term cheesy fancy dress affairs and are college-only.
I read somewhere that King's has had an Ibiza foam party before. How often do these occur?
Reply 26
If you can afford it, the maypole is good, and it's open until 1 most days.
Reply 27
Jigglypuff
I read somewhere that King's has had an Ibiza foam party before. How often do these occur?

Hahaha this sounds EXCELLENT! how easy is it to organise stuff like this? I'd be quite prepared to organise stuff....sounds wonderful

apd35
If you can afford it, the maypole is good, and it's open until 1 most days.

what is the maypole? is it a club!?! whats it like?
Pishpash
Hahaha this sounds EXCELLENT! how easy is it to organise stuff like this? I'd be quite prepared to organise stuff....sounds wonderful

The Maypole is a pub. It's pretty good in that it's friendly, does decent food, and stays open till late. It is slightly tacky with flashing machinery and tv-screen, so personally I'd go for the Castle, but it isn't too bad at all.
Reply 29
Pishpash

It's a pub. It's slightly (?) expensive, opens late, and serves a range of cocktails (I can't comment on the quality of such things but they were some interesting colours). IMHO there are better pubs about (e.g. The Red Bull, Live and Let Live, St Radegund and The Castle Inn for a start) but The Maypole has been busy most of the few times I've been there and probably for some good reason.

Edit: Apparently I take far too long to write these things!
The Maypole does MAHOOSIVE Sunday lunches with ginormous slices of hot chocolate fudge cake served with ice cream.

It is also two minute's walk, if that, away from the ADC and so is a favourite with techies. I did the technical run through for Le Misanthrope sitting in the Maypole with script and pen in one hand, and massive plate of fried breakfast in the other.

"*Munch munch*... so LX cue 11 is at line *burp* sorry! Line 14, just after 'Je despair'"...
Reply 31
The Maypole is also kind of small, given its popularity with various theatre/choir/boatie types. I'm not a huge fan of it, myself.
The maypole does **** beer. Boo and hiss.

MB
Reply 33
Like others have said, it does depend a lot on what sort of music you like. There's a terrible amount of cheese around.

In terms of ents, both Emma (Wednesday) and Clare (Friday) have weekly ones that are pretty good. The type of music they play varies from week to week.

Clubs are poor, but if you go with a good group of friends you'll have a decent time. Most are really cheesy, but Fez has been putting on some good events lately. The good thing is you're bound to bump into a lot of people you know (particularly Cindies on Tuesday or Wednesday and Life on Sunday). Personally I can't really stomach more than once or twice a week though. There's only so many times you can hear the Baywatch theme without feeling suicidal.

The Junction is a mission to get to unless you're at Homerton (taxi's your best bet), but they host some excellent nights. Warning, which is on every two months, is one of the best drum n bass nights in the country.

You'll probably spend a lot of time either in the pub or at smallish parties in people's rooms.
Reply 34
musicbloke
No offence but you have terrible taste in pubs.

MB
I agree. Rat and Parrot is full of erky townies, as is Eagle (not nice townies like moi). Radegund good if you're a smoker. Pickerel ok. Fort St George pricey and service ****. Clubs such as 22s are fun to see what you will look like when you're 35 and still trying to go out and pull. :biggrin:
Reply 35
cool i like kind of emo/indie/experimental music. are there any good indie nights?:biggrin:
Pishpash
ooh is this true? I do like a good rave....anyone been to any of these?! x

Yes and yes, though I've only heard of them through the grapevine and the grapevines I hear them through are now moving to other unis... they do happen, but the police frequently turn up.
Reply 37
Pishpash
cool i like kind of emo/indie/experimental music. are there any good indie nights?:biggrin:

I'm hoping for some anything-but-pop-or-hiphip/rap/rnb type ones, but I have a feeling that they'll be thin on the ground :frown: I can do cheese too but ... *sigh*.

It's the kind of thing that makes you wish you had been rejected and had to go to London, but luckily there aren't many of that kind of thing! I guess this is what you sacrifice for Cambridge.

Unless anyone wants to tell me I'm wrong & that Cam is full of good music*?

*yes yes, yes, I mean my idea of good music.
Reply 38
A night in Cambridge: 30 people, several litres of vodka, baby oil, no clothes.
Pishpash

Can't really tell you about emo music - not really my scene.

Some clubs (Fez?) do indie nights once a week, but by far the best place for indie music is Kambar. They have decent music playing (most of the time at least) and have bands (no-one big though) more than anywhere else I've found in cambridge.

If you're looking for bigger name bands you've got the Corn Exchange and the Junction.

Latest

Trending

Trending