The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Heya,

I did Foundation Clin Sci at Bradford but it kinda worked out OK for me but beware none of my friends made the transfer - this included people who'd had offers for medicine in the past.

I had aabb when i started so applied through UCAS to 6 year course (no science a-levels) and ended up with a conditional offer to Sheffield conditional on me getting a distinction. I'm now starting at Sheffield in September. Hull york apparently also make similar offers i believe but i got rejected- grr.

Clin sci as a degree is friggin awful - its like learning how to dilute orange juice for 3 years. Some of the tutors are awesome but some of them are orrible - i wont say any names but lets just say one of the top bods is an alien from outerspace who loves her favourites but anyone else she doesn't need any excuse to put them down.

I suppose it depends on your situation i.e. grades etc as to whether Bradford is the right place for you. To be honest if I didnt have the grades I'd go to a uni/place I really liked and just focus on having a good time and getting a 1st.

Sarah:smile:
Reply 21
scaramouche
i wont say any names but lets just say one of the top bods is an alien from outerspace who loves her favourites but anyone else she doesn't need any excuse to put them down.

we think alike. B is an alien.

can i add to my previous post that it was her who gave me a shizzle reference for leeds because i didnt happen to be one of her puppy favourates. and i forgot to mention how we as graduates - having covered the 1st year medical curriculum and 2 additional years of science - were made to re-apply back to year 1 at leeds, even though in year 1 we were given interviews for year 2!! the swines never gave us merit for what we had done in year 1! instead of adhering to their promise of entry into year 3, the a$$holes went to the other extreme and made us apply to year 1!! we were severly demoralised by their inhumane treatment.

my 2 cents...
Reply 22
scaramouche
Heya,

I did Foundation Clin Sci at Bradford but it kinda worked out OK for me but beware none of my friends made the transfer - this included people who'd had offers for medicine in the past.

I had aabb when i started so applied through UCAS to 6 year course (no science a-levels) and ended up with a conditional offer to Sheffield conditional on me getting a distinction. I'm now starting at Sheffield in September. Hull york apparently also make similar offers i believe but i got rejected- grr.

Clin sci as a degree is friggin awful - its like learning how to dilute orange juice for 3 years. Some of the tutors are awesome but some of them are orrible - i wont say any names but lets just say one of the top bods is an alien from outerspace who loves her favourites but anyone else she doesn't need any excuse to put them down.

I suppose it depends on your situation i.e. grades etc as to whether Bradford is the right place for you. To be honest if I didnt have the grades I'd go to a uni/place I really liked and just focus on having a good time and getting a 1st.

Sarah:smile:

Hi bradford have given me a place on their clinical sciences course but im currently holding a place at newcastle for biomed where 5 students can transfer onto medicine....there are approx 50 students who apply for the transfer so i'll have a 1in 10 chance of getting the transfer. Now the only reason why im looking at b'ford is that theres a 1 in 3 chance of getting the transfer. But based on what u guys hav said im re-thinking b'ford. Im bothered about having a good time really i just want to get onto medicine because that is more important to me. I dont wanna really waste another 3 years on another degree. So what do u guys think is the best option?
Reply 23
I would far sooner fail to make it to transfer and have a degree from Newcastle than do the same and have a degree from Bradford. I know that makes me an academic snob, but heh!
Reply 24
Fluffy
I would far sooner fail to make it to transfer and have a degree from Newcastle than do the same and have a degree from Bradford. I know that makes me an academic snob, but heh!

lol yeh id love to study medicine at newcastle ove leeds any day but if i get a place at leeds for medicine i dont think id complain because i really wwant to do medicine.
Reply 25
scaramouche how many of the ppl in your year made the transfer? How many ppl applied for it? Just want to get an idea of how competitive it is.
Thanks
Reply 26
looking at newcatsles statistics the chances are even slimmer. your in a tough predicament. bradford maybe cos it offers better chances, but maybe not cos their a$$holes. go with your gut instinct. but hay if i dont get in to med id much rather be stuck in newcastle than mingin bradford.
Reply 27
manisingh
looking at newcatsles statistics the chances are even slimmer. your in a tough predicament. bradford maybe cos it offers better chances, but maybe not cos their a$$holes. go with your gut instinct. but hay if i dont get in to med id much rather be stuck in newcastle than mingin bradford.

lol yeh bradford is a bit of a s***hole! lol anyways we'll see how this year goes at bradford...if dnt work out im out of there! Anyways thanks 4 ur help....manisingh mayb ud like to drop me a pm n tell me who that alien is...u know i jus wanna watch myself n not get on the wrong side of ppl wen i go to b'ford.

thanks
Reply 28
Ive applied for this clinical sciences course and i ive got an interview on wedensday. What type of questions come up anyone?
Ive only applied as its better than wasting one year, i mised the entry for prague this year, but i will be applying for two uni's in the Czech whilst doing this course. (btw after the foundation year, if you dont get into medicine you transfer into pharmacy at bradford.)
~Ann~
scaramouche how many of the ppl in your year made the transfer? How many ppl applied for it? Just want to get an idea of how competitive it is.
Thanks

Hiya, sorry I haven't been on the boards for a couple of days. I'd say around 30 went for the transfer and about 11ish got through (that i know of).

The stats themselves aren't the problem, its the randomness of the transfer process - you could get 100% in every module and ace your interview and stil now get in.

Still best of luck. One tip i can give you is to make sure you have some experience of hospital and community care - over a period of time if possible. St Lukes is pretty good for training you as a bank HCA which looks awesome on your form and earns you a bit of money.

Latest

Trending

Trending