The Student Room Group

Where will Luke Shaw go? And is he worth £30m?

I would LOVE to see this kid at Anfailed. I think he could probably end up at Old Trafford though, which annoys the hell outta me.

We should switch Flanagan from left to right, and sell that idiot Glen Johnson (along with Joe Allen, for the record). Bring in Luke Shaw, even at £30m, and we have our left back position sorted for the next 15 years.

Where will this amazing left back end up?

Scroll to see replies

Glen Johnson is one of the most consistent full backs in the Premiership. He's been fantastic since he came back from injury and is a pivotal focus in starting many of Liverpool's attacks.
30m lmao....hyped much.
Reply 3
one word overrated
Reply 4
He'll stay at Southampton I reckon. Unless they force him out if big offer comes in, but I don't think they'd do that.
£30m for an 18 year old is a complete joke, even Rooney didn't go for that much.

It does look like he'll be joining us though. That fee will turn out to be a bargain if he nails down the position for a few years, for example paying £30m for Rio Ferdinand seemed incredibly OTT at the time but it's worked out at £2.5m per season.

Note: I'm not comparing the two players, just the circumstances surrounding their transfers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
£30m for an 18 year old is a complete joke, even Rooney didn't go for that much.

It does look like he'll be joining us though. That fee will turn out to be a bargain if he nails down the position for a few years, for example paying £30m for Rio Ferdinand seemed incredibly OTT at the time but it's worked out at £2.5m per season.

Note: I'm not comparing the two players, just the circumstances surrounding their transfers.

When you say us, do you mean LFC or MUFC?
Reply 7
No....no he is not. But in modern football, footballers very rarely get bough/sold for what they're worth (Arsenal and Ozil im looking at you).
Utd are the obvious choice given that with Evra leaving they have nobody good enough right now. I don't think he will make the WC squad so I reckon Shaw will stay at Southampton for another year.
Reply 9
He's got to make the WC squad. Hodgson needs a slap if he takes Ashley Cole instead.

Baines is first choice all day. May aswell give a kid some experience rather than Cole who won't be at the next one.

I think if he leaves he'll go to Man Utd.

I hope he stays at Southampton for another year though.
Original post by Vintage
He's got to make the WC squad. Hodgson needs a slap if he takes Ashley Cole instead.

Baines is first choice all day. May aswell give a kid some experience rather than Cole who won't be at the next one.

I think if he leaves he'll go to Man Utd.

I hope he stays at Southampton for another year though.

Luke Shaw should be nowhere near the England squad. I'm not going to trust an 18 year old with 1 cap and 20 minutes of international game time to replace Baines when injured/rotated
£30m is far too much but ultimately you're worth what some idiot is willing to pay.
Original post by little_tom
Luke Shaw should be nowhere near the England squad. I'm not going to trust an 18 year old with 1 cap and 20 minutes of international game time to replace Baines when injured/rotated

Half the Germany squad at the last World Cup had barely played a senior international but they didn't do too badly did they? Over reliance on experience has been England's downfall ever since the turn of the century. If you're good enough, you're old enough.
Original post by sr90
Half the Germany squad at the last World Cup had barely played a senior international but they didn't do too badly did they? Over reliance on experience has been England's downfall ever since the turn of the century. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Baines will be our first choice because he's a better left back. Cole should be back up because he has 107 caps, has been our most consistent player in international tournaments and has big game experience

please give me a valid argument as to why he should feature over Cole or Baines because I would love to hear it. fair enough Cole hasn't featured as much as he has in previous seasons, but he's still made 24 appearances, and when he does feature his performances do not suggest that he's past it

what Germany did is completely irrelevant, they were forward thinking and had a plan in place; they had players that knew each other well through playing at youth level and winning tournaments together not handing out caps to whichever teenage German sensation was flavor of the month. hardly comparable
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I would LOVE to see this kid at Anfailed. I think he could probably end up at Old Trafford though, which annoys the hell outta me.

We should switch Flanagan from left to right, and sell that idiot Glen Johnson (along with Joe Allen, for the record). Bring in Luke Shaw, even at £30m, and we have our left back position sorted for the next 15 years.

Where will this amazing left back end up?

Man United. 10 million + add ons.
Reply 15
Original post by Miel Purple
30m lmao....hyped much.

for once i actually agree with you.
30m is an absolute joke - i had barely heard of him before this year.

he could turn out great, but i don't want it to be my club taking the risk, spending 30m when he could turn out to be a massive flop like carroll.
I wouldn't be surprised if he moved for like £18mil with potential add-ons to get to £25mil but I'd be amazed if any club is silly enough to buy him for £30mil outright.

No foreign club will buy him so you're basically looking at Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea to buy him for those insane figures.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Glen Johnson is one of the most consistent full backs in the Premiership. He's been fantastic since he came back from injury and is a pivotal focus in starting many of Liverpool's attacks.

Lmfao.
For 30m? whoever is dumb enough to buy him. Probs Manu.

In reality though I don't think he'll go for that, that figure is probably just media hype.

I'd want him at LFC but for no more than 15-20m.
Original post by sr90

Considering inflation, he did.

Quick Reply

Latest