The Student Room Group

Fourth A-level; what to choose?

I've chosen Maths, Physics and Biology but don't know what to take as a fourth. My predicted IGCSEs are A* in Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys, English Lang, English Lit and RS, B in History and C in German and Latin.

I think I want to be a nurse in the future. I'm only scraping an A* in Chemistry by the bare minimum and I hate it. I don't think I could stand English for another two years either. The options for the fourth subject are Computing, Psychology, Sociology, Electronics or PE. The school will let me do PE or Electronics at A-level without the GCSE, because of my science grades. What should I do? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I would suggest Psychology for something Medicine related. It could help if you want to go into anything related with mental health or something similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you, anyone else?
Original post by Bluebuzz
Thank you, anyone else?

I would suggest sociology or psychology from those listed as they can both be related to nursing. Sociology particularly will allow you to develop skills in empathy and understand social situations of patients better. However, both of those subjects are heavily essay based, so avoid those of that was the area of English you disliked the most!

Computing and electronics aren't really related to nursing, but could come in handy as an enrichment to show you have interests outside of the traditional sciences, and you could drop your fourth subject after your first year as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are determined to do something in medicine, then Psychology would be my suggestion (It would've been Chemistry but as you don't like it, no point taking it really). Further maths is a good one if you want to deviate from medicine, just a suggestion :wink:
Psych
Original post by Bluebuzz
I've chosen Maths, Physics and Biology but don't know what to take as a fourth. My predicted IGCSEs are A* in Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys, English Lang, English Lit and RS, B in History and C in German and Latin.

I think I want to be a nurse in the future. I'm only scraping an A* in Chemistry by the bare minimum and I hate it. I don't think I could stand English for another two years either. The options for the fourth subject are Computing, Psychology, Sociology, Electronics or PE. The school will let me do PE or Electronics at A-level without the GCSE, because of my science grades. What should I do? Thanks :smile:

I would have advised taking Chemistry just in case you change your mind and decide that you want to study Medicine instead of Nursing. Even though you don't like it, why not have a look at the course outline as your opinion may change?

But if you definitely do not want to study Chemistry, I would advise taking any subject that you feel you can achieve the best grade in and more importantly, the one that you will enjoy/have the most interest in. :smile:
When you are wndering what A levels to take and have a career in mind look at the entry requirements on a few website e.g. https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-adult or http://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/undergraduate/courses/bsc_nursing_child.page?#entry

One of them mentions Psychology, none mentions PE. Psychology or Sociology are seen as tougher than the others and are therefore more use.

Quick Reply

Latest