The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering - Undecided

Hello,

I am an international student from Cyprus. I want to do masters degree in UK. I have applied for 5 Universities and got offer from 4 of them. However, since I can only observe the quality of education for these universities from internet and comments, I'm a bit undecided.

The universities I got acceptance are Surrey, Southampton, Brunel and City. I know that among these, Surrey offers an industrial year and that's a big plus for me. But checking the rankings among internet, Southampton looks to be the better one.

In terms of Biomedical Engineering, what would be your choice, and which city would be more ideal to study and live ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Wejgomi
Hello,

I am an international student from Cyprus. I want to do masters degree in UK. I have applied for 5 Universities and got offer from 4 of them. However, since I can only observe the quality of education for these universities from internet and comments, I'm a bit undecided.

The universities I got acceptance are Surrey, Southampton, Brunel and City. I know that among these, Surrey offers an industrial year and that's a big plus for me. But checking the rankings among internet, Southampton looks to be the better one.

In terms of Biomedical Engineering, what would be your choice, and which city would be more ideal to study and live ?

Thanks

I was in a similar situation to you not so long ago: I was torn between Surrey and Southampton. Surrey is arguably the better place to live - a green area plus it is only a 30min train ride into London. Southampton, aesthetically speaking, is not the prettiest of places to live, however the campus is excellent (you're in your own bubble once you're in it).

In regards to reputation, Southampton may have a slight edge, but Surrey can offer exactly the same in regards to job opportunities. And their placement year looks very rewarding. That being said, Southampton can also provide a placement year (it just isn't as common as Surrey).

The choice is yours. In the end I went for Surrey (though, not for biomedical).
Reply 2
Hello,

Thanks for comment. What else can you say about your study experience at Surrey University? As I have read, it is most recommended for its Engineering Department. Are they really strong in terms of applied education? And how was your luck on finding a job?

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest