The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid I have to add to what most people are saying here. At the end of a 30+ year career, I would say that the goalposts have moved so much and so often that this is nowhere near the job I came into and most days, I simply cannot wait to leave. I have strongly advised both my sons to avoid the job like the plague, but they didn't actually need telling, having lived with two teacher parents all their lives. I remain amazed that people do still want to enter the profession and am full of admiration for the young people who do, whilst at the same time fearing for their welfare. So much depends on the school you are working in, but even then, constant interference and the changes in society which affect children so dramatically make it an almost impossible job. Hats off to those who want to do it, but do take heed of what those who have already done it have to say. There isn't some secret society open only to current teachers that we want to keep quiet and restrict admission to. We do actually have some experience to draw on. But then, nobody can put an old head on young shoulders and most people only learn through experience.

Not sure why you're "amazed" that people want to enter the profession. You said it yourself - no-one can truly know what it's like until they try it. Personally, I'm starting a PGCE next year and whereas I am certainly daunted by how tough the job sounds going by this forum (though, incidentally, not the teachers I've spoken to in 'real life', who generally love their jobs), what absolutely terrifies me is being stuck in a job that I don't care about. I really, really care about my subject (English). I want young people to care about it as much as I do. I want a job that concerns what I am most passionate about in life (literature and stories). I can't think of anything more soul-destroying for me personally than being stuck in a job which pays well but is unrelated to the things in life that I love.

That said, I am not a calm person. I'm a worrier. I can deal with stress and pressure, but I sometimes irrationally let little things get to me. Teaching may well give me anxiety issues. It's a risk I'm going to have to take, because I know that potentially this is the perfect career for me. I guess this time next year I'll have found out whether it was, more or less.
(edited 9 years ago)
The older teachers in schools will inevitably be fed up - the technology changes alone are forcing them out because an outstanding lesson now relies on engaging pupils so that they can make above expected progress. How do you engage pupils? You link the content to what is relevant to them. What's relevant to them? Things closely related to social media and technology a lot of the time.

I understand that the constant changing of goalposts must also be a factor but those approaching retirement must have seen so much change in their careers that it's like water off a duck's back now.

The increased workload is due to teachers needing to cover their own backs now so that when Ofsted or higher management come knocking they have all their data up to scratch, targets met, books marked correctly and all the rest of it. Younger teachers have more energy for this - older teachers simply don't and their health will diminish because of it.

I think it's a real shame that older teachers seem to be declining in a lot of schools now because you always need that experience IMO in any staff room but the current world of teaching is not compatible with a lot of them by the looks of it.

I still feel that the majority of teachers that moan and try and put you off wouldn't swap it for anything though. If they really felt that way they'd have gotten out a long time ago.

The job is a difficult one but young teachers entering the profession now have the advantage of optimism, energy and that we know nothing else - we know what the current system is all about and have nothing in the past to compare it to. The older teachers hate this change.
Original post by Squoosh25
Not sure why you're "amazed" that people want to enter the profession. You said it yourself - no-one can truly know what it's like until they try it. Personally, I'm starting a PGCE next year and whereas I am certainly daunted by how tough the job sounds going by this forum (though, incidentally, not the teachers I've spoken to in 'real life', who generally love their jobs), what absolutely terrifies me is being stuck in a job that I don't care about. I really, really care about my subject (English). I want young people to care about it as much as I do. I want a job that concerns what I am most passionate about in life (literature and stories). I can't think of anything more soul-destroying for me personally than being stuck in a job which pays well but is unrelated to the things in life that I love.

That said, I am not a calm person. I'm a worrier. I can deal with stress and pressure, but I sometimes irrationally let little things get to me. Teaching may well give me anxiety issues. It's a risk I'm going to have to take, because I know that potentially this is the perfect career for me. I guess this time next year I'll have found out whether it was, more or less.

I'm amazed because I know what it's like, I suppose. Experience clouds the issue. It's right and proper that you should feel as you do. I wouldn't want anyone who didn't feel as you do to go into the job - it needs idealism and youthful energy. I felt the same when I started. Same subject, too. I don't feel like that now, because pragmatism sets in and alters your perceptions. I suspect teachers you speak to in real life don't want to kill that sense of enthusiasm they see in your eyes. On the internet, people can speak more freely, and I suspect, sometimes more honestly. Of course there are great things about the job. I love (most of) the kids and my colleagues. I still enjoy being in the classroom, although whether I would still enjoy it if I didn't work in a very soft school I have doubts about. What I don't like is the way education is being played with by different flavours of government who spot a gimmick and are onto it like a cat on a mouse, merely to make it sound as if they are doing something to address the ills of society they have, to a great extent, caused. The ink is never dry on the latest craze before the next one comes along, and all thought up by ministers who have never been teachers or, it sometimes seems, even in a school. They also have the attention span of those dogs in Up when they see a squirrel.

I truly wish you well. I spent 8 years as a subject mentor for two universities and I have every sympathy with trainees. I know what it's like and I know equally that I am extremely disenchanted and that's one of the reasons why I stopped mentoring, because the ridiculous paperwork you have to do is unnecessarily burdensome and doesn't in any way make you a better teacher. I suspect many people's careers end in this spirit of gloom and that is our tragedy. I hope yours starts well and continues to keep you fulfilled.
I suspect teachers you speak to in real life don't want to kill that sense of enthusiasm they see in your eyes. On the internet, people can speak more freely, and I suspect, sometimes more honestly.

Sure, that's a fair point. Though also I would add that people who are happy and contented with what they do have no real need to seek out the support of forums such as this. Forums like this are a very useful way for people to seek help when they need it. Those who do not need help (because they are comfortable with what they do) do not generally go searching for it. Not to say that people who largely enjoy their jobs don't go to places like this - they may, after all, be here purely to help others who do have issues - but it's just another possible factor contributing to the trend.

Of course there are great things about the job. I love (most of) the kids and my colleagues. I still enjoy being in the classroom, although whether I would still enjoy it if I didn't work in a very soft school I have doubts about. What I don't like is the way education is being played with by different flavours of government who spot a gimmick and are onto it like a cat on a mouse, merely to make it sound as if they are doing something to address the ills of society they have, to a great extent, caused. The ink is never dry on the latest craze before the next one comes along, and all thought up by ministers who have never been teachers or, it sometimes seems, even in a school. They also have the attention span of those dogs in Up when they see a squirrel.

I can see why that aggravates you, but of all the concerns I have for my future career, politics is currently the last on my mind. I have absolutely no idea whether or not later on down the road I'll be equally frustrated by these sorts of issues as you are.

I truly wish you well. I spent 8 years as a subject mentor for two universities and I have every sympathy with trainees. I know what it's like and I know equally that I am extremely disenchanted and that's one of the reasons why I stopped mentoring, because the ridiculous paperwork you have to do is unnecessarily burdensome and doesn't in any way make you a better teacher. I suspect many people's careers end in this spirit of gloom and that is our tragedy. I hope yours starts well and continues to keep you fulfilled.

Thanks. I hope so too. Like I say, I am fully aware of the issues people have with the career, but there just isn't any way of me being able to tell whether or not they will be enough to kill my enthusiasm towards the positive aspects of the job without trying it myself. It's a risk, but teaching really does have the potential to be my ideal career, so if I didn't at least try it I would regret it. Like I say, nothing that I've heard about the job so far scares me as much as the thought of spending my life doing a job that I have no passion for.
(edited 9 years ago)
I really, really care about my subject (English). I want young people to care about it as much as I do.

Well they won't. They'll care much more about TOWIE. You might as well get used to that now.
Original post by Mr M
Well they won't. They'll care much more about TOWIE. You might as well get used to that now.

Alas, this is true.
Sure, that's a fair point. Though also I would add that people who are happy and contented with what they do have no real need to seek out the support of forums such as this. Forums like this are a very useful way for people to seek help when they need it. Those who do not need help (because they are comfortable with what they do) do not generally go searching for it. Not to say that people who largely enjoy their jobs don't go to places like this - they may, after all, be here purely to help others who do have issues - but it's just another possible factor contributing to the trend.

I come here because it still gives the opportunity to do what I think most teachers want to do - help people. I am very aware that I work in a school where kids get a huge amount of help in applying for university and many kids in other schools don't. There's a lot of useful advice I can give to those who don't get it elsewhere, and the great thing is that I can do it without paperwork, classroom management or new initiatives and I don't have to give it to anyone who doesn't behave with politeness. That is a great pleasure. Classroom teaching doesn't always come with those perks.
Original post by Mr M

Of course. That's the challenge. But even the kids who watch TOWIE have some stories they like - even if these stories manifest in bland soaps, or dull Michael Bay movies. The people in our culture who don't like stories are in the vast majority.
I want young people to care about it as much as I do. I want a job that concerns what I am most passionate about in life (literature and stories).

I went into my PGCE with the same feelings towards my subject (Maths) and was very idealistic about it all.

Fast forward 2 years, it's got to the point where if they understand it, then good, if they enjoy it then fantastic!!! Ultimately I have resorted to what most teachers do and teach them how to pass the test because it's what they want, it's all we really have time for, and it's what the school wants. I did not turn out to be the inspiring Maths teacher who encourages them to aspire to be the next Gauss or Newton as I so pictured.

After hearing about three times a day about there is no point in learning maths, or its a boring subject or how their parents say it's not important I have given up on my idealistic views.

I think I could only be happy with teaching top sets, asking a 14 year old what is 3 multiplied by 7 and having to wait 15 seconds to get the answer 10 or something equally ridiculous is soul destroying for me.

I have to say I did take a lot of enjoyment in helping a year 7 child expand double brackets then asking him to go home and find out what the square root of minus 1 was only for him to reply straight away with "well thats obviously i".... I would be willing to guess that over 30% of Maths teachers wouldn't be able to tell me that!!!! Now if I had a class full of those students I would be happy to teach.

Good luck!!! 3 weeks left for me, I won't miss it one bit!

Sadly, the school I am currently at which is a good school with a good department is losing 3 maths teachers for next year and can't replace them and are having to applicants to their job advertisements. Also having same problems with Science, it's sad to see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are most things said on here with regards to primary or secondary education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus

In the Maths Exams Forum we can click a button to mark a thread with the name of the Awarding Body concerned. It would be helpful to have a similar tab on this Forum so threads could be identified as Primary, Secondary or FE.
Reply 51
Original post by Reps4Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good point. I suspect most teachers who are disgruntled work in secondary as there is a lot more to deal with in terms of students not wanting to learn for example.
I'm starting an Early Years PGCE so I'll be working with kids aged 3-7. During my work experience I've found that most of the kids that age are eager to learn and do enjoy school so it certainly makes the job of a teacher a bit easier if those you're teaching actually want to be there. I can imagine it's quite stressful in secondary. I certainly remember what I was like at secondary school and the grief we used to give the teachers. I'm sorry for it now though! :colondollar:
Reply 52
Original post by becimarie
Nobody is trying to put you off; they are being realistic.

Telling me I shouldn't do something IS trying to put me off. It would be different if they were just telling me all of the negative things they've experienced but still say if that's what I want to do then that's fine...
Original post by Linnende
Telling me I shouldn't do something IS trying to put me off. It would be different if they were just telling me all of the negative things they've experienced but still say if that's what I want to do then that's fine...

Coming from a family of teachers, whenever careers are discussed I'm always told "Don't you dare become a teacher!". In fairness they work incredibly hard, and their pay really doesn't reflect this. Yes, they may "only" work 5 days a week (for most state schools) but the weekends and evenings are consumed with planning, prep and marking. Even during the holidays they work, so this idea of a "6 week holiday" in the summer is a huge misnomer. It's a very stressful job, and I have huge admiration for good teachers. Unfortunately many people do not see it in this way, and I think that's a shame. If you have realistic expectations about Teaching, and you are motivated to do it then I wish you the best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HearMeRoar
Coming from a family of teachers, whenever careers are discussed I'm always told "Don't you dare become a teacher!". In fairness they work incredibly hard, and their pay really doesn't reflect this. Yes, they may "only" work 5 days a week (for most state schools) but the weekends and evenings are consumed with planning, prep and marking. Even during the holidays they work, so this idea of a "6 week holiday" in the summer is a huge misnomer. It's a very stressful job, and I have huge admiration for good teachers. Unfortunately many people do not see it in this way, and I think that's a shame. If you have realistic expectations about Teaching, and you are motivated to do it then I wish you the best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it! My parents have no idea what teaching seems to really be like. I was telling them that I was worried about dealing with the stress of the job, then they were laughing saying things like "oh you will have no idea what stress is like as a teacher, try doing my job!" "you can't have stress with that many holidays" etc etc,

It really winds me up because I start arguing with them, saying I don't think they get paid enough for the hours they put in and my dad just starts laughing his head off. I really feel I'm not going to get any support from them during my PGCE seeing as they don't really seem to think teaching is a stressful job at all...
Original post by Linnende
Hi. Does anyone else feel discouraged from training to be a teacher because they know teachers who are actively trying to discourage them from training? I'm about to start a PGCE (early years) in September and I'm really looking forward to it. I've always wanted to be a teacher and work with young kids especially so for me this is my dream job.

However, I'm NOT stupid. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the number of teachers around me who are acting like it's the worst job in the world and that I'm crazy for wanting to do it. I guess what I'm trying to say is are they right? The thing is as well as this being what I want to do it's also really the only thing I can do. Since my degree I've flitted from one job to another and tried various things out to see if I liked them, but I didn't, and since working in a school I've realised that teaching is the job for me. My point is, should I just not listen to these people? I am starting to think that there is a sizeable proportion of teachers who do just moan about everything and are always so negative and don't realise how lucky they are. I mean, I'm from a deprived working class background and no one else in my family even did a-levels let alone went to university so to me this is a big thing. I think they also like being miserable too because they don't even do anything to try and make their situation any better, just moan about it! :/

Sorry for the long rant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you know a good deal about the actual life of a teacher, have worked in a school and still want to do it, then go for it. Most people complain about their job.
Original post by Airfairy
Tell me about it! My parents have no idea what teaching seems to really be like. I was telling them that I was worried about dealing with the stress of the job, then they were laughing saying things like "oh you will have no idea what stress is like as a teacher, try doing my job!" "you can't have stress with that many holidays" etc etc,

It really winds me up because I start arguing with them, saying I don't think they get paid enough for the hours they put in and my dad just starts laughing his head off. I really feel I'm not going to get any support from them during my PGCE seeing as they don't really seem to think teaching is a stressful job at all...

My Mum did a GTP several years ago and she's a brilliant teacher now, but she still finds it incredibly stressful. She's constantly working, even during her time off and her job is almost never over! Fortunately my Nana was also a teacher so we were able to support her during it; looking after 2 children and completing a GTP at the same time is especially taxing. She does love her job, but I resent the stress she is under, and that I barely see her during the week! :smile:
If you are really motivated to succeed then I'm sure you will do well, many teachers are in a similar position and you can moan about how stressful it is with them- to someone who actually understands! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ieda
This is just my opinion coming from a college student,

Teachers have an option. They can either work very hard or not work very hard at all.
I've been to 4 different secondary schools and 1 college.
Some are very good schools, some are very bad.
My dad leaves the house at 6 and comes back for 8 nearly every day and I barely see him, and he is a manager for a business. If he had that job when I was a kid, when would I ever see him?
Teachers working school hours allows them to see their children.
In my opinion I believe teachers rarely plan as the powerpoints are used over and over again over the years and either the specification is copied or the internet is.
Teachers have a lot of time at school/college when they don't have lessons or when there is group work or there is a test, marking and planning can be done.

I could blag on and this doesn't make much sense as I'm frazzled by revision but I honestly don't think it's the worse job ever, I worked in a retail clothing/home shop and i would be a teacher over that any day, but obviously im too young.

^A perfect example of a member of the general public misunderstanding Teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ieda

Teachers have an option. They can either work very hard or not work very hard at all.
My dad leaves the house at 6 and comes back for 8 nearly every day and I barely see him, and he is a manager for a business. If he had that job when I was a kid, when would I ever see him?
In my opinion I believe teachers rarely plan as the powerpoints are used over and over again over the years and either the specification is copied or the internet is.
Teachers have a lot of time at school/college when they don't have lessons or when there is group work or there is a test, marking and planning can be done.

I could blag on and this doesn't make much sense as I'm frazzled by revision but I honestly don't think it's the worse job ever, I worked in a retail clothing/home shop and i would be a teacher over that any day, but obviously im too young.

I'm not a teacher, so I am just as ignorant about the true nature of the profession as you are. However, if you take time to read this thread and others like it on this forum, you will see that your opinion of the job is severely misguided. When you read what actual teachers have to say about the job, (rather than base your opinion on your experience as a school pupil), you will find that what you thought teaching was like is, in fact, very different to how it actually is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ieda

Complete and utter drivel based on no real experience of the teaching profession. It is opinions like this that unfortunately prevail among many of the general public. Ask a teacher, or the family of one if you want a real insight into the workload and stresses of the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending