The Student Room Group

I want to travel, finance doesn't

I've been with my fiancee for 2 1/2 years, we live together are settled and are getting married in December. Both of us are starting university in September both involving animals, but after my degree (4 years) I want to travel and work with wildlife abroad on various volunteer projects or paid if I can get the work. At the moment he's like but what about my friends, I can't leave them, or says maybe way in the future. But I'm 25, he's 22 and at his age I had the same attitude, life evolved around my friends and social life, I'm hoping in 4 years time he will have grown up and have a different attitude.
In all other areas we want the same, love animals, he doesn't want children, I don't either as long as I can travel and do what I love. I can't image my life without him and would love him to want to do what I want to do but I'm worried about what happens in 4 years time he doesn't want to.

Not sure what the best thing to do is
Stop worrying about 4 years time, and enjoy what you have right now. Its only travelling, its hardly a barrier to life together is it, unless you're off for 5 years and dont intend to ever contact him or stay in the relationship.
I dunno, your plans sound a little bit unrealistic/idealistic.

But mostly it sounds like you guys might just want different things, and if so getting married isn't the best idea for now.

Realistically you should only be getting married when you're already settled into your adult life. Whatever that life entails.

But that's my opinion, best of luck.
I'm not sure you should marry someone unless you want the same things. If you just wanted to go travelling for a year I'd say just go without him but it sounds like you want to live abroad/travel/work abroad for a while and that means either he is going to have to go with you when he doesn't particularly want to or you're going to have to give up your dream. You should at least have a proper discussion about this and tell him that you do intend to go abroad - what will happen when you do.
I agree with the comment about only getting married when you've settled into your life, because then you can be sure of these things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending