The Student Room Group

Is there such thing as an independent child?

Like I am doing this to become independent every day, but it's so hard changing mentality. I still have the child like mindset and I realised that adults are more solution based whereas children are more they tell people their problems and adults tell them the solution. That's one of the things I noticed otherwise it's independent life skills. I fear that independent life skills doesn't come naturally to me like it does to others after puberty.
Reply 1
Define 'life skills'.

If it's practical stuff like laundry, ironing, cooking, shopping, coach travel alone, going round London alone, finances, rewiring a plug, darning a sock, sewing, fixing a bike puncture, I'd got all that ticked off by my early teens. However, they don't come naturally, they are taught. Don't you have family that can do this?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Like I am doing this to become independent every day, but it's so hard changing mentality. I still have the child like mindset and I realised that adults are more solution based whereas children are more they tell people their problems and adults tell them the solution. That's one of the things I noticed otherwise it's independent life skills. I fear that independent life skills doesn't come naturally to me like it does to others after puberty.

I really get this, I am currently taking a gap year and working full time while still living at home, and part of me wants to be independent and do more stuff by/for myself (e.g. travelling on my own) but also part of me is still not ready to make that step…..I’m going to uni in September this year and some parts of it absolutely terrify me (like living by myself, budgeting, being fully independent)
I think there’s a misconception/assumption that as soon as someone turns 18 (legally becomes an adult) there’s a desire and an ability to be independent and this just isn’t the case…..obviously there will be some people who do fit into this group and who want to be independent ASAP but I feel like for the majority of people this isn’t the case
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Define 'life skills'.

If it's practical stuff like laundry, ironing, cooking, shopping, coach travel alone, going round London alone, finances, rewiring a plug, darning a sock, sewing, fixing a bike puncture, I'd got all that ticked off by my early teens. However, they don't come naturally, they are taught. Don't you have family that can do this?
Yes the practical stuff. Maybe some of us aren't intelligent when it comes to these things. Some people it does come naturally without being taught.

I do have family who do this yes, and for me the best way to learn something is either by listening or watching them do it so that's what I will do.

I also realised there's more than one solution to a problem and I may suggest a solution but there's more others will suggest to me. For example, if you are struggling to urinate, drink water, drink cranberry juice, drink barley, have a shower, for me cystitis sachets, oil and water mixed and rubbing on my abdomen also helped in the past. There's more than one solution
Reply 4
And finally seeing a doctor who may give antibiotics or tests
How old are you?
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
How old are you?
so not actually a child then
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
so not actually a child then
Legally no but I'm just saying because of mentality and practical life skills it seems that way. I am trying to pick things up while I am with my family, or at least with my parents. After that you are all on your own. I can stay with my younger sister who is 7 years younger than me but even then she's going to leave me at some point so I need to pick these things up from parents and sisters. My brother will never be independent and that's because my mum is just too nice to me and my brother.
Legally no but I'm just saying because of mentality and practical life skills it seems that way. I am trying to pick things up while I am with my family, or at least with my parents. After that you are all on your own. I can stay with my younger sister who is 7 years younger than me but even then she's going to leave me at some point so I need to pick these things up from parents and sisters. My brother will never be independent and that's because my mum is just too nice to me and my brother.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending