The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justfly
do you know about Manchester by any chance? I'm really scared, I'm even tempted to go through clearing to apply to a less maths uni like Bradford

I don't really know. The best tip would be to just simply email the optom department. I wouldn't go into clearing and leave a very good offer just because I didn't like maths. It's part of your life. Also there's some physics in this. You should not run away without trying it. In Optometry there is much more complex stuff than math trust me on that. And you'll find it in all courses. Some things you find challenging you should be headstrong about it. In Optometry you'll face a lot of challenges and you'll have to make a quick decision at some points. Don't worry about it so much because you'll learn and they'll teach you. Accept a challenge and work for it. It's fun that way. If something is easy to obtain there's no satisfaction or any feeling of joy after succeeding. I assure you, you will be fine. Maths in Optometry isn't so hard.
Original post by AquaBubblez
I don't really know. The best tip would be to just simply email the optom department. I wouldn't go into clearing and leave a very good offer just because I didn't like maths. It's part of your life. Also there's some physics in this. You should not run away without trying it. In Optometry there is much more complex stuff than math trust me on that. And you'll find it in all courses. Some things you find challenging you should be headstrong about it. In Optometry you'll face a lot of challenges and you'll have to make a quick decision at some points. Don't worry about it so much because you'll learn and they'll teach you. Accept a challenge and work for it. It's fun that way. If something is easy to obtain there's no satisfaction or any feeling of joy after succeeding. I assure you, you will be fine. Maths in Optometry isn't so hard.

thank you x
Original post by justfly
Got accepted into Manchester with AAB! So happy, but I heard the course is very maths-orientated, I really suck at maths, didn't pick it up at AS/A level and didn't do well at GCSE, I really enjoy biology and chemistry though, I'm just worried I'm gonna be left behind everyone due to my maths skills, any advice?

You wont be left behind trust me around half of my year didn't do A-Level maths. If you've already done A-Level, they teach maths for one semester and then you have a january exam. If you haven't done A-Level then you learn for 2 semesters and do the exam in summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accepted into Aston with A*A*A*B
What just happened
Original post by justfly
Got accepted into Manchester with AAB! So happy, but I heard the course is very maths-orientated, I really suck at maths, didn't pick it up at AS/A level and didn't do well at GCSE, I really enjoy biology and chemistry though, I'm just worried I'm gonna be left behind everyone due to my maths skills, any advice?

Hey, I'm pretty sure Manchester have optional maths modules for those who didn't take it at a level which u can always take to get up to speed.

I'm gonna be taking them since I didn't do maths at a level. And generally I've heard the maths in optom isn't overly complicated anyway so I really wouldn't worry so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1125
Has anyone heard back from Manchester about their accommodation???
Original post by Fessa
Has anyone heard back from Manchester about their accommodation???

I'm still waiting, have you heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1127
Original post by sleepisheaven
I'm still waiting, have you heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't!! :/ I hope it's soon though
Original post by sleepisheaven
Hey, I'm pretty sure Manchester have optional maths modules for those who didn't take it at a level which u can always take to get up to speed.

I'm gonna be taking them since I didn't do maths at a level. And generally I've heard the maths in optom isn't overly complicated anyway so I really wouldn't worry so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh thank you!! Guessing i'l see you there in september
Original post by MaheenMaheen
You wont be left behind trust me around half of my year didn't do A-Level maths. If you've already done A-Level, they teach maths for one semester and then you have a january exam. If you haven't done A-Level then you learn for 2 semesters and do the exam in summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much for this information!
Reply 1130
Anyone going City?
Reply 1131
Hi can someone tell me if theres is a lot of maths on the optom course or physics? I like the idea of being an optometrist, but dont like those two subjects ( i love bio) specifically thw optom course at Aston??
Original post by justfly
ahhh thank you!! Guessing i'l see you there in september

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone going to plymouth?
Original post by yaknow 66

hey ill be going to Plymouth...:smile: travelling from London!
Me too! Have you guys sorted any accommodation and where are you from x
Original post by yaknow 66

Me!
Original post by Player92
Me!

Hi there is actually a forum called PLYMOUTH OPTOMETRY 2015, you should address any questions you have on there and you can introduce yourself if you like.

Regards
Original post by Player92
Me too! Have you guys sorted any accommodation and where are you from x

Hey I have luckily got a place in gilwell halls and Nottingham how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I am thinking of applying for optometry 2016 entry. I re-sat Year 12 (AS), i initially got acdu (psychology,biology,chemistry&ma ths) dropped maths and resat the year and got AABC (biology,business, A2 psychology and chemistry) Really disappointed in my chemistry grade as i was 4 ums of a B and a2 psychology was 2 ums of an A, remarked both the papers and it remained the same. I am now carrying on to study a2 bio,chem and business and i may retake a psychology paper to gain that one mark. Due to my C in chemistry i don't know whether i should retake the papers for the second time to get to an A. Would this affect my application due to the fact that this would be the 3rd time writing this paper? Or should i just carry on? I don't know whether i should still apply for optometry as many of the unis want an A. I have gained work experience in a Nursery, Dentist, Moorfield Eye Hospital, Moorfield A&E for eyes and Specsavers.Any advise on what i should do ?

Quick Reply

Latest