The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zak98
To inform use a lot of direct address and statistics, that way it adds credibility to your writing.
To describe use cleverly placed smilies, imagery and metaphors.
For example, "The ocean was a blue majestic splash of breathtaking water"
"The air blowing past my face was like a pack of wolves chasing its prey".

Yes, I established all of those... To explain? I have no idea.
For Question 5 is this a good start for a description?

The sand glimmers in the grey light. Grasses grow in the dunes and stab the winter air maliciously. Waves break in the distance and suck up the shore with whitened lips. Seaweed, abandoned, lies limp and pathetic on the water’s edge. Gulls circle in the air above, like kites begging food from the fishermen out at sea. The sun begins to rise over the bay, glowing orange and pink. The sea blushes.

As the sun gilts the sand, the sound of cockle pickers carries over the widening beach. The bird’s screams quietens; they bob on the water, bellies full. They drift in and out on the noiseless tide, fading as it becomes familiar that the sea is a heartbeat that keeps the beach alive. The seas bloody spray sweeps over my tongue. The rushing blood of an arterial river spills over the clotted rocks.

If this was carried on for a few more paragraphs, what mark out of 16 do you think it would achieve?
Reply 382
Original post by lyricalvibe
i'm not a amazing marker but i think i'd give it 13,6/6 spag-didn't see much wrong plus varied, 7/8 out of 10 content. initially it seemed full marks with the satire and hyperbole and great punctuation and description but it grew repetitive with the short paragraphs, constantly changing topic and i didn't like one of you lines because it sounded like yuo were forcing the word hyperbole into it and when describing the food you only focussed on one sense even though you mentioned things like garlic which ghas loads of potential!nice reference to others aswelll but something in like full marks answers which i beleive you could get :wink: is like a deeper meaning, i'm not sure how you'd weave it in but maybe in the conc or mid section explain a passion for food and how intrinsic to society it is and hence how we need to source top quality- this sounds like crap and i'm not even sure if it is actually needed so just ignore it.

GOOd work though, better than anything i could do :biggrin:

Thank you so very much! I completely agree with what you have said! I struggle with this question and so I will take your points on board, thank you again! :smile: x
Original post by yamyam77
I got 79/80, lost 1 mark in Spoken Language study, teacher wouldn't give it to me:frown:

did she use the 'sounds rehearsed' excuse?
I was the last person to do the monologue and that, so ofc I prepared so I wouldn't fumble when I performed (I'm awful at Drama and acting and that)
Original post by kingaaran
Hey everyone,

Like I said in a post above, I made myself a past paper and thought that you might want it for practice sometime. If you do, the insert is attached, along with the question paper - ignore some of the graphical errors, as I didn't want to spend hours making it look pretty...

Hope it helps!

i can rep you :tongue:
Original post by Connorbwfc
For Question 5 is this a good start for a description?

The sand glimmers in the grey light. Grasses grow in the dunes and stab the winter air maliciously. Waves break in the distance and suck up the shore with whitened lips. Seaweed, abandoned, lies limp and pathetic on the water’s edge. Gulls circle in the air above, like kites begging food from the fishermen out at sea. The sun begins to rise over the bay, glowing orange and pink. The sea blushes.

As the sun gilts the sand, the sound of cockle pickers carries over the widening beach. The bird’s screams quietens; they bob on the water, bellies full. They drift in and out on the noiseless tide, fading as it becomes familiar that the sea is a heartbeat that keeps the beach alive. The seas bloody spray sweeps over my tongue. The rushing blood of an arterial river spills over the clotted rocks.

If this was carried on for a few more paragraphs, what mark out of 16 do you think it would achieve?

Very nice and cool answer to exam
Gud answer to exam
Answer iz gooder than other answerz
10/10 a* inglish examzz answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386
anyone know roughly what grade 65/80 would be? :smile:
would it be a good idea to spend 17 minutes on the first three questions? it's 12 mins +5 mins from the 'extra' 15 minutes we have
Original post by bubblegumcat
would it be a good idea to spend 17 minutes on the first three questions? it's 12 mins +5 mins from the 'extra' 15 minutes we have

The maximum recommended is 15 mins, and then 30 on Q4, because some of that 15 mins has to be allocated here also.
Reply 389
Original post by S.Ahmad
Yes, I established all of those... To explain? I have no idea.

Not really sure on explain. Sorry
What are the predictions for unit 2? What do you think may come up???
Original post by Connorbwfc
The maximum recommended is 15 mins, and then 30 on Q4, because some of that 15 mins has to be allocated here also.

oh ok thank you
Original post by notathuggee
did she use the 'sounds rehearsed' excuse?
I was the last person to do the monologue and that, so ofc I prepared so I wouldn't fumble when I performed (I'm awful at Drama and acting and that)

Umm spoken language is the cw about how people speak. It was written as an essay.
The speaking and listening was the one we had to peform in... and they scrapped that at the start of this year. So the data is still being sent off but it doesn't count towards your final grade. Instead the exam is now 60%
Guys everyone keeps asking so im just going to tell you...
grade boundaries!
the exam is out of 80
a*=58
a=53
b=48

this is based on last years grade boundaries - so they are likely to be similair
Original post by possum_box
Umm spoken language is the cw about how people speak. It was written as an essay.
The speaking and listening was the one we had to peform in... and they scrapped that at the start of this year. So the data is still being sent off but it doesn't count towards your final grade. Instead the exam is now 60%

u wot m8
i did a speaking and listening one last year
and did an essay about speech in 'This Week' a news programme
got an A* in CAs overall lol
idc about gcse's and their structure anymore it's got to that point
Original post by zintanax
Haha - I'd give you a 15/16 or full marks! Perhaps the 15 for stealing my word :wink: haha jk!

thank you! i normally never have any points for this question becausei didn't really know how to analyse certain words but i kinda picked it up from lit and seem better at it all now :biggrin: it was just too good a word! in my mnid i initially thought it was a blend of ethos and pathogen :tongue: :lol:
Hey guys. Im doing just english sorry if im on the wrong thread but the exams are the same. Our coursework is out of 90 and im on 71. Its also worth 40%. Around how many marks do i need to achieve in the exam to get an A* overall? Btw the exam is 60%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
idk if its already posted but does anyone have a structure for question 4?
Reply 398
Original post by lyricalvibe
i'm not a amazing marker but i think i'd give it 13,6/6 spag-didn't see much wrong plus varied, 7/8 out of 10 content. initially it seemed full marks with the satire and hyperbole and great punctuation and description but it grew repetitive with the short paragraphs, constantly changing topic and i didn't like one of you lines because it sounded like yuo were forcing the word hyperbole into it and when describing the food you only focussed on one sense even though you mentioned things like garlic which ghas loads of potential!nice reference to others aswelll but something in like full marks answers which i beleive you could get :wink: is like a deeper meaning, i'm not sure how you'd weave it in but maybe in the conc or mid section explain a passion for food and how intrinsic to society it is and hence how we need to source top quality- this sounds like crap and i'm not even sure if it is actually needed so just ignore it.

GOOd work though, better than anything i could do :biggrin:

Write a Critique about a restaurant for a local newspaper.

Scandalous Strada; Surprise!

Who would have thought it?
“Extravagant, fast service and exquisite food” suggested my Mum. However, that wasn’t what I received, far from it in fact!

I have always been extremely passionate about food and it’s a fundamental for life; without it we wouldn’t be alive and as a critic I strive for the best possible quality and service also.

Walking through the door I found myself peering up at the (what seemed to be) rather nice ceiling décor, the restaurant of a deep blue and glamorous sliver furnishings that glimmered under the bright spotlights. I was impressed… to begin.

After sitting down I waited, alone. Numerous waiters and waitresses skipped by, taking little notice of me; they were more interested in the families that tipped. They were far from pleasant though, screaming and crying at the top of their lungs made my ears feel as if they were on fire and I felt irritated and this didn’t help my hunger. Little did they know I was a critic. If they knew that the restaurant would be on its best possible behaviour, something that seemed to be the contrary.

I waited and waited, I’d say for 30 minutes at least until someone, at my relief, finally served me. The menu had minimal choice: Pizza, Salad, Pasta, Chicken. I wasn’t at all provoked by any of these, but I chose a plain pizza. “You can’t go wrong with a Margarita,” my Mum would have said if I were with her.

A similar theme occurred again, however, this time I waited for double the time and my stomach was an empty expanse and I felt wheezy from the lack of nourishment. When suddenly my Pizza appeared. You would have thought it would be the best margarita pizza in the world having made me wait so long, but that was hyperbole too; indeed like my Mother’s earlier remark it seemed.

Beneath me were singed tomatoes, which had been poorly disguised by a mountain of mozzarella, as useless as trying to hide a giraffe in a cardboard box and the most crumbled base, almost as if it were a desert.
Not only this, the crushed garlic had been substituted by what seemed to be droppings of friendly mice. The stench was vile, in comparison to the charming herbal smell of garlic that I so desired and had in fact ordered.

Who on this Earth would eat that?

Mortified, I pulled my chair out and immediately exited the restaurant leaving behind a note that I stamped onto the pizza with sauce saying ‘Unsatisfactory’.

Unless you want to consume energy from faeces I would advice choosing somewhere else to have a meal. Never again!

Would you say this is better? :smile: x
Original post by notathuggee
u wot m8
i did a speaking and listening one last year
and did an essay about speech in 'This Week' a news programme
got an A* in CAs overall lol
idc about gcse's and their structure anymore it's got to that point

Yh i did speaking and listening last year too. We spent like a term on it- first week back in yr 11 and we get told that its not gonna count :frown:
Im tired of them playing games with us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending