The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arithmeticae
Have you got any sources for this statement?

I'm not going to waste my time looking for one, but every English teacher I have had has said the same, and the majority of people here seem to have been taught the same, so say what you want.
I kind of wrote that facebook was the new culture and tradition in question 6 which sounds .......
We were never told about counter arguments and blah blah blah. Our teacher simply said in q6 use the persuasive devices and good vocab and accurate punctuation and that's it. My teacher simply said we get marked on devices and not the actual stuff we say. Also surely everytime you made a point there would be a counter argument anyways so you would have to keep switching views and we don't have time for that? I think I included a counter argument in like one sentence so if its necessary I'm screwed....
Original post by Arithmeticae
IMO they're pretty much the same thing except arguing is more aggressive and forceful whereas persuading is more gentle.

You've pulled that theory out of thin air....
Reply 784
I sat the english language exam today and My course work is a D how many marks do I need in the exam to get a C overall?
I'm confused I did aqa gcse language today, but my questions were not on social networking?
Original post by slavery97
I'm confused I did aqa gcse language today, but my questions were not on social networking?

Possibly because you sat foundation?
What on earth is the point of arguing over this? What's done is done.

Get over it already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I talked to my teacher about the coursework I have been doing and she said I have been getting high c's and one or two B's. and today in my test I think ive only got a D, I panicked a bit and forgot to add a tonne of things, so with my coursework at what it is, and my test only being a D what will I get overall ?
Original post by Sir_Langlois
Possibly because you sat foundation?

No, i sat the higher paper.
Reply 790
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's done now so try not to worry yourself too much :smile: I'm sure it will have gone better than you think
For q5.. I talked about how different cultural food and music should be introduced. Also, the fact that more games, such as obstacle courses should be introduced. Moreover, shops selling cultural items should be introduced. I only ended up using 1 rule of three phrase and 2 similes :/ will I be able to get at least 13/18?
Original post by Angelo12231
It was argue. It was either you argue for or against the statement. Persuading as about changing someone elses opinion and the question did not ask that, it asked what YOU think.

Damn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did not even understand q5 ugh hated that paper and screwed up badly it went way worse than my mock :frown:

i second that, i think i've f... up.
Guys. Whats done is done. Asking people about what you've written isnt going to make the marks you got today any higher. If you got 12/24 today then nothing is going to change that and certainly not someone elses opinion. Move on. I'm sure you did fine. Its English thus a clear justified answer can never be wrong. The argument between persuasion and argument is also lame, doing nothing but making people more paranoid. You guys smashed the exam. You did.
Original post by Manexopi
I did not even understand q5 ugh hated that paper and screwed up badly it went way worse than my mock :frown:

Least i'm not the only one that thought that
Original post by Sir_Langlois
i second that, i think i've f... up.

There's always the 40% of controlled assessments that counts. . It can boost up your total mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thiss1
whats the overall grade boundary (exam + ca) ?

no one knows until sometime in August when the results are given. They will probably tell us in a couple of days before the results a week max.
Reply 799
For the presentational devices question was this a reasonable response?

First PEE: I talked about the headline stating "Isle of Mud" being a play on words and that "Isle" shows the mud was widespread, covering the entire area. Then after talking about the effect on the reader I linked it with the text "flows like gravy" showing that it had rained so heavily it had become watered down and now "flows" and that the simile helps the reader to imagine the advancing mud which supports the heading of the mud being widespread.

Second PEE: I talked about the headline stating "Festival fans revel against elements" which showed how fans were dedicated if they were prepared to struggle in the brutal conditions despite it being unpractical Then "elements" being plural demonstrated how there were many factors which were barriers: heavy rainfall, traffic and mud flow yet, this didn't stop them. Then after talking about the effect on the reader I linked it with the text "heavy congestion after rainfall" (something like that) which supports the heading displaying that it was a difficult experience.

Third PEE: I talked about the image showing the mass number of tents all crammed in to a small area meaning that the weather didn't hinder on the turnout too much. I then said that the tents were vivid and arresting suggesting that the experience was wonderful and exhilarating, which contrasted with the dull, miserable mud. Then I said that the contrast between the weather and the people demonstrates how it didn't prevent them from enjoying themselves. After discussing the effect on the reader I linked it with the "55,000 expected visitors" which shows how many people were meant to go which supports the many people who came.

Fourth PEE: I talked about the image displaying the huge amounts of mud which were dirtying the tents where the fans had to sleep, pointed about that there was nothing in place to reduce the impacts of the mud which would have put a damper on their experience. After having explained the effect on the reader, I linked it with the text "organizers knew that it was foretasted to rain yet were unprepared" displaying how they did nothing about it which was why the conditions were so bad.

I wrote in more detail in the exam, does this sound alright?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending