The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

How many marks would you need for an overall A grade? if you have around 59 out of 80 for coursework, which is roughly a B.
Reply 81
Original post by possum_box
I'm so confused. I have 77/80 for CW. And my teacher said that I need a minimum of 69/80 for the exam to scrape an A*

You might not be doing AQA :smile:
Original post by Asciant
You might not be doing AQA :smile:

I am doing AQA. I don't know if he's doing it to scare us into tying harder- I just honestly thought that it was much harder to get an A*. (Not that its easy)
I'm resitting the exam next week which means the exam will count for 60% and not 40% anymore as I have no speaking and listening to fall back on. At the moment I have 62/80 in my CA which should be a high B so if I get somewhere between 65-80 marks in the exam what are the chances of scraping an A* overall? Would it be much easier now that the exam counts more?
I did a mock recently, and I got 71/80. What grade is that ? (i'm in year 10 btw, sorry)
Thats definitely an a*
A* usually hovers around 60/80

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the foundation paper but I'm not feeling confident about getting a C.
Original post by asapsimeon
I did a mock recently, and I got 71/80. What grade is that ? (i'm in year 10 btw, sorry)

hey,

I am also in year 10 and no doubt, you are at an A* grade. Well done you! :biggrin: Just to get an A* for last year's June paper you needed 58/80, which is like only 72/73%. And you exceeded this by far and if you can do this in year 10, there is no point of practicing English in year 11. Your going to ace the paper.

Ya, well done yet again!

germanshepherd_
James

Please,no one cares - we don't need a running commentary

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys,

I am in year 10 and I am doing a mock in June :confused:, to predict the grade I might get next year. The paper is only the up to the first 4 questions. Any tips on how to tackle each question, to access top marks?

Ya, thanks

germanshepherd_
Original post by germanshepherd_
hey,

I am also in year 10 and no doubt, you are at an A* grade. Well done you! :biggrin: Just to get an A* for last year's June paper you needed 58/80, which is like only 72/73%. And you exceeded this by far and if you can do this in year 10, there is no point of practicing English in year 11. Your going to ace the paper.

Ya, well done yet again!

germanshepherd_

Thanks, it' much appreciated :biggrin:. I've always wondered why the grade boundaries for Eng. Lang. are always so low- I think it's something to do with the fact that many struggle with timing. Mr Bruff is great, he's the reason why I did so well !! All I did was go over all his videos, and follow all his tips + I practiced past papers and had a brief idea of what to write in each of his questions. Thanks once again
:biggrin:
Original post by germanshepherd_
hey guys,

I am in year 10 and I am doing a mock in June :confused:, to predict the grade I might get next year. The paper is only the up to the first 4 questions. Any tips on how to tackle each question, to access top marks?

Ya, thanks

germanshepherd_

Mr Bruff online is really all you need. He goes over each of the questions, looking at how you answer them and access the best possible grades. Also, he has some exemplar pieces, so look over those aswell. Once you've done that, use past papers so you get a feel for the exam; this should ensure that you not only know how to tackle each of the questions, but also are confident on exam technique and timing. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Thanks, it' much appreciated :biggrin:. I've always wondered why the grade boundaries for Eng. Lang. are always so low- I think it's something to do with the fact that many struggle with timing. Mr Bruff is great, he's the reason why I did so well !! All I did was go over all his videos, and follow all his tips + I practiced past papers and had a brief idea of what to write in each of his questions. Thanks once again
:biggrin:

Naa, it was nothing. Always glad to help and ya, his youtube videos are amazing! They helped me out a lot too and I think your right - it is the timing which gets me and many other people most of the time. Otherwise, I should be absolutely fine.

Ya, thanks! :smile:

germanshepherd_
Mr Bruff online is really all you need. He goes over each of the questions, looking at how you answer them and access the best possible grades. Also, he has some exemplar pieces, so look over those aswell. Once you've done that, use past papers so you get a feel for the exam; this should ensure that you not only know how to tackle each of the questions, but also are confident on exam technique and timing. Hope this helps :biggrin:

This has helped a lot - you are much better than my english teacher! I will do exactly what you say!

Alles Klar!

germanshepherd_
About question 5... How do you write a plan for that? I usually just dive in as I have no idea how to plan a descriptive essay?
Also, for question 2 do you need language analysis? Mr bruff confused me so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm worrying about timing for this paper, I got 71/80 for my CA, and in the language mock I got 61/80, what grades are these roughly?
Original post by Pikki1234
I'm worrying about timing for this paper, I got 71/80 for my CA, and in the language mock I got 61/80, what grades are these roughly?

It sounds like a secure A. About the timing do it in a non chronological order :smile: I'm going to do Q5 and 6 first. They give you lots of marks; better to not have time for an 8 marker rather than a 24 marker XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fay17
Got 61 for my control assessments so a B hopefully... Always get a couple marks of a B in this exam can never actually get a B! Would love an A but meh I'll be super chuffed if I can get a B! Anyone know what I'd need to get around in the exam for a B or an A??

I also got 61/80 on the controlled assessments which is a B, and like 4 off an A, so what would it be to get an A overall, possibly 57 I think, can anyone verify?
Original post by possum_box
It sounds like a secure A. About the timing do it in a non chronological order :smile: I'm going to do Q5 and 6 first. They give you lots of marks; better to not have time for an 8 marker rather than a 24 marker XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats quite a good idea.
Also, what mark would I need to get in the paper if I want a low A*
Original post by Pikki1234
Thats quite a good idea.
Also, what mark would I need to get in the paper if I want a low A*

About 60 out of 80

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending