The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bazzz7
There are no estimates as the exact grade boundaries have already been worked out at 40.6666/80 for an A*. However, it could be 41/80 or 40/80 depending on the mood of the examiner the night before results day.

Original post by ok2
How do you know that the trick is accurate?

Bazzz... explain
Reply 982
Original post by bazzz7
Please stop spreading malicious rumors and misinforming people. The grade boundaries have in fact been released and as stated they are at 40.666/80 for an A*. I think you may be getting confused with the concept of the day before results day. On the day before results day, examiners will decide whether to set it at 41/80 or 40/80. Please get you facts straight before commenting.

It'd make things a bit easier if you could just enlighten people as to how you know that the grade boundaries have been released as this is causing confusion among some. Some of us are not aware, so it would be helpful if you could just let us know how you know about this.
Original post by Rk2k14
What are the grade boundaries for this year (people are saying they have been released), can anyone post them please?

61 is an a*
47 is an a
And this is faeces
Original post by ok2
It'd make things a bit easier if you could just enlighten people as to how you know that the grade boundaries have been released as this is causing confusion among some. Some of us are not aware, so it would be helpful if you could just let us know how you know about this.

60+1= 61
61x2= 122
122 divide 3= 40.6666

so its either 40 or 41 for an A*
Original post by Angelo12231
60+1= 61
61x2= 122
122 divide 3= 40.6666

This guy is totally correct
I have confirmed it with aqa
He is correct
Reply 986
Original post by Angelo12231
60+1= 61
61x2= 122
122 divide 3= 40.6666

What so you can get an A* by only getting half the marks available? It hasn't been that low before has it? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
so first the last question i wrote about the student room and how good it was as a social networking site bc i go on it and everyone tells me aqa predictions :smile: do u think aqa will get totes annoyed and like put mark schemes up when they realise like how 4 poetry we was all predicting blah blah? :smile: i thought it was good anyway yay hopefully full marks
Original post by KJC79
Usually you need 61 for an A* so what is your reasoning behind them drastically decreasing, or have I misunderstood? :smile:

are you questioning my mathematical reasoning? I hope not
Original post by examsohgod
so first the last question i wrote about the student room and how good it was as a social networking site bc i go on it and everyone tells me aqa predictions :smile: do u think aqa will get totes annoyed and like put mark schemes up when they realise like how 4 poetry we was all predicting blah blah? :smile: i thought it was good anyway yay hopefully full marks

I just want everyone to know this was a joke, I'm not a complete idiot, anyway out of interest who wrote for and who wrote against for the last question? I myself was against the statement and wrote about how facebook etc reunited old friends etc.
Reply 990
Posted from TSR Mobile

No sorry haha :tongue: it's just a hard concept to understand (only getting half marks on the paper yet achieving an a*). It seems unrealistic.
(edited 9 years ago)
On question 6 said I said that teens are, instead of revising for GCSE's, wasting their time on Facebook. Then for the last sentence I said, "No wonder everyone's going to fail this exam".
I was against the statement and I was quite sarcastic for most of it. but I think I wrote too little. I only wrote one page and a bit... Is that bad?
Is this a valid point for Q2. I said "the picture is effective because it emphasizes the horrendous weather with a flooded land and 2 guys sitting on a chair. This links to the text where it says"whether you're stuck in a traffic or ferry....we apologise" because the chair could be infered as the ferry and the mud is the water under the ferry." What do u guys think of this point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by f.loco
Is this a valid point for Q2. I said "the picture is effective because it emphasizes the horrendous weather with a flooded land and 2 guys sitting on a chair. This links to the text where it says"whether you're stuck in a traffic or ferry....we apologise" because the chair could be infered as the ferry and the mud is the water under the ferry." What do u guys think of this point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that point is actually quite insightful, it would definitely be a valid point and different from all the others that the examiner would have seen so I wouldn't worry if I were u.
Reply 995
Original post by Rk2k14
I made a fake address and put: Dear Organiser, However, I forgot the 'Yours Sincerely'. Will that have a big impact on the final mark???

I feel really stupid because I put 'Mr .organiser, organiser Street, organiser land, FE5 TVL' as the address! Just hope the examiner sees the (childish :colondollar: ) humour in that.
Reply 996
For q6, I went against the statement (so i said social networks are good) so my last sentence was:
Establish an account on a social network or suffer from silent social isolation.

I think last sentences are very important (they're the last thing the examiner is left with) so how does that sound to you all?
What were your last sentences?
Original post by Kirankhalsa
For q2, I talked about how "festival fans" gave a positive impression and positive message as fans are excited and a festival is a joyous occasion however there is juxtaposition as there's a contrast between the "Isle of mud" and "festival fans". The alliteration and play on words emphasises the danger and the severity of the situation.

My next paragraph was on the picture - the boys wearing boots emphasises the danger in the situation resulting in the reader feeling frightened and reading on.
-the tents emphasise how many people were stuck and again the severity of the situation
- the clarity of the mud helps to put an image of how the dangerous the situation is.

My final paragraph - the link - the image of the tents link to the "100 people stranded" headline of isle of mud - links to the clarity of the mud shown in the picture -. Do u think I'll be able to get 8/8 for this?

Some good interpretations there, but also consider:
-Colour of the tents and clothing, which emphasises the festival atmosphere, thus linking to their "resilience," despite the abhorrent conditions.
-Isle of Mud is used for irony, as 'mud' replaces 'Wight', therefore revealing how the elements have rendered it unrecognisable.
Original post by blaze9990
On question 6 said I said that teens are, instead of revising for GCSE's, wasting their time on Facebook. Then for the last sentence I said, "No wonder everyone's going to fail this exam".

Pfft... I wrote exactly the same that more teenagers are failing because they can't concentrate et .
Original post by r p
For q6, I went against the statement (so i said social networks are good) so my last sentence was:
Establish an account on a social network or suffer from silent social isolation.

I think last sentences are very important (they're the last thing the examiner is left with) so how does that sound to you all?
What were your last sentences?

I put something clichė which I now regret: we can do this. We will do this. We must do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending