The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EconStudent09
Is this a valid point for Question 4:

Source 3 used mainly opinions and feelings but it also used 1 fact (I think it was when he said that there is "4000 miles" till the next bit of land). This helps reinforce how isolated he is but by using facts he also matches his purpose which is journalism because in journalism, facts are also important. In Source 1, similarly, facts are used in "200 million users in the coming year" to show how Facebook will keep on growing. This helps reinforce the idea that Facebook's growth should be stopped. He uses facts to give his persuasive piece authority and authenticity, essential for any type of persuasion.

Obviously, I wrote more clearly in the exam but this was the general idea.

Did source 3 use many opinions if any at all? It predominantly focused on his thoughts and feelings, thus meaning opinions were almost non existent
just forget it and move on people..
Original post by curiousninja
I'm annoyed they didn't just say 'argue' or 'persuade'! Cheeky AQA folk. I fell in the trap of persuade. Oh well, hopefully I don't get heavily marked down...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ultimately if what you wrote is good you'll do well regardless of if the style was slightly out.
Guys i got a high B for my coursework, i'm not sure number wise how much i got, do you know how many marks i would need in the exam, to 1) get an A 2) maybe(probably not) an A*
Original post by kanelynne
Guys i got a high B for my coursework, i'm not sure number wise how much i got, do you know how many marks i would need in the exam, to 1) get an A 2) maybe(probably not) an A*

I remember for coursework an A is 63/80. In the exam for english language it is 54/80 for an A in the November 2013 exam... So the total would be 117 for an A English language.

However, let's say you get a high B you would probably need to get a strong A which is understandable. So perhaps around a 57/58. An A* was 60/80 last time so you would need to get close to that kind of grade to get an A to be extra safe. :smile:

I hope that helped, sorry if it didn't XD.
If I got an A in coursework and a C in the exam would that be a B overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisW180598
If I got an A in coursework and a C in the exam would that be a B overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably. To be safe a high C and a not too low A would be best to get a B overall. If you got a strong A then there would be less to worry about. You would need to get a high C though in the exam! :smile:
I got A in the coursework (67/80) but I want to get an A* overall. Unfortunately my question 4 messed up 'cos of the timing (was doing 6, 5, 1, 2, 3) and could only make like 2/3 points but I wanted to structure it out as beginning, middle and end. However I could only do begin. and middle. What sort of mark can I be looking at for Q4 then? I know it's hard to judge but the points I made very quite strong. In the mark scheme it says stuff about there being a full and detailed analysis. Would appreciate SEVERAL views on this!
There's no point worrying about the exam now, there's nothing you can do about it now so just forget about it for now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angelo12231
Yes its almost certain it will be lower. I'll explain why: as the S and L has been removed, it has been predicted by AQA themselves (there is an article on this) that they expect grades to fall by 4 - 10% this year because candidates no longer have the support of the S and L. So they must lower the grade boundaries by 1 or 2 marks in order to match last year's grade statistics. And then they will change it depending on how well people done overall. So, i think it will be 53 for an A and 58 for an A*.

Can you show the link for that article plz?
There's no point worrying about the exam now, there's nothing you can do about it now so just forget about it for now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but cant help getting stressed!!!! :frown:
Original post by alexkrave
I know, but cant help getting stressed!!!! :frown:

The more you ask and get opinions on it the more stressed you'll get just put it to the back of your head and know you tried your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

speaking and listening, they said that they expect marks to fall from 1-2 marks so around 58 for an A*. I can't remember the article but it was an official examiners report somewhere...
Original post by orla25
speaking and listening, they said that they expect marks to fall from 1-2 marks so around 58 for an A*. I can't remember the article but it was an official examiners report somewhere...

I thought speaking and listening didn't have any weighting in the overall grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought speaking and listening didn't have any weighting in the overall grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah it did only a small amount though.

The exam is now worth 65%
Original post by orla25
yeah it did only a small amount though.

The exam is now worth 65%

60% to be more accurate! :biggrin:
Original post by alexkrave
60% to be more accurate! :biggrin:

No it's worth now 65% because speaking and listening isn't worth anymore :tongue:
Original post by orla25
No it's worth now 65% because speaking and listening isn't worth anymore :tongue:

Lol...The latter is true, but it's worth 60%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathbomb
Lol...The latter is true, but it's worth 60%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm whaat, I got told by my school that the english language exam is worth more due to speaking and listening not being used any more (our school lost ours). Furthermore exam boards have said on their official webpage that they have lowered the grade boundary by 1 or 2 marks to consideration that the exam is worth more. Je ne sais pas...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending