The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orla25
Hm whaat, I got told by my school that the english language exam is worth more due to speaking and listening not being used any more (our school lost ours). Furthermore exam boards have said on their official webpage that they have lowered the grade boundary by 1 or 2 marks to consideration that the exam is worth more. Je ne sais pas...

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4705-W-SP-14.PDF
Specification at a glance
Most people do better in coursework so you can't really except to do better than your coursework I got 73/80 in my coursework which is an A* and aiming for an A in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh okay :smile: thanks!
When will boundaries come out?
What does everyone think of the boundaries for AQA English Lang/Lit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisW180598
What does everyone think of the boundaries for AQA English Lang/Lit

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* down by 1 in English Lang Unit 1H, English Literature Unit 1H & English Literature Unit 2H so pretty consistent. Just glad they didn't go up.
Original post by Mathbomb
A* down by 1 in English Lang Unit 1H, English Literature Unit 1H & English Literature Unit 2H so pretty consistent. Just glad they didn't go up.

A* boundary in English Language Unit 1H is down by 3! You needed 60 marks to get an A* in November 2013. And yeah the A* boundary in the English Lit papers is down by one, which isn't too bad:colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dave8991
A* boundary in English Language Unit 1H is down by 3! You needed 60 marks to get an A* in November 2013. And yeah the A* boundary in the English Lit papers is down by one, which isn't too bad:colondollar:

Oh sorry, I was comparing English Lang with the June 2013 grade boundary :P
Hey guys, so I got a B in english language UMS 236, which is 4 points of an A. Do you think it is worth remarking??
Original post by Pikki1234
Hey guys, so I got a B in english language UMS 236, which is 4 points of an A. Do you think it is worth remarking??

Yes, remark. I'm remarking: I got a B in the exam, when I've been getting A*s in the mocks, not only from my teacher, but examiners too. I am convinced something has gone wrong. Let me know how your remark goes, if you proceed with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Yes, remark. I'm remarking: I got a B in the exam, when I've been getting A*s in the mocks, not only from my teacher, but examiners too. I am convinced something has gone wrong. Let me know how your remark goes, if you proceed with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm convinced there's something seriously wrong with the English marking this year too. Results down a huge amount across all schools nationally. I got A* in all my mocks.. I'm not sure what I got in the exam but I got an A overall and I know I performed how I usually do in the exam. My coursework reached the A* threshold so I'm not convinced either. Do you think it's worth trying for a remark?
Original post by -jordan-
I'm convinced there's something seriously wrong with the English marking this year too. Results down a huge amount across all schools nationally. I got A* in all my mocks.. I'm not sure what I got in the exam but I got an A overall and I know I performed how I usually do in the exam. My coursework reached the A* threshold so I'm not convinced either. Do you think it's worth trying for a remark?

I was told that my controlled assessment grade was A* but that went down to an A and I usually get A/A* in english mocks but I got a B in the exam.
Original post by -jordan-

I've requested a remark, and I'll let you know how that goes. I think go for it - the marking this year is atrocious. I have a feeling they've hired a bunch of new examiners, who think they have to be cruel in applying the mark scheme, and those who got the experienced examiners got the fair grades. I am convinced I will go up to an A* and get an A* overall, once it's marked by a senior examiner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was 3 raw marks off an A* overall in language, would need 59/80 on the exam, is it worth re marking?
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 176/180 (A*) ums on the exam and 0 in the controlled assesment. So I'm currently on a D. This happened to 31 students in my year. Anyone else?
Also, does anyone else know what a high B in the controlled assesment (between 62-65 raw marks/80, I forgot) and my exam ums would be overall? What grade?
Original post by lyricalvibe
I got 176/180 (A*) ums on the exam and 0 in the controlled assesment. So I'm currently on a D. This happened to 31 students in my year. Anyone else?
Also, does anyone else know what a high B in the controlled assesment (between 62-65 raw marks/80, I forgot) and my exam ums would be overall? What grade?

Why did you get a 0? If you got 94 UMS in the CA, you'd have an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate12300
I was 3 raw marks off and A* overall in language, would need 59/80 on the exam, is it worth re marking?

Definitely. I'm remarking with the risk of going down, as if I lose 3 marks, I'll end up with a B. But I know that I did not perform at a grade B standard in that paper, 100%. Grade A, maybe, but not Grade B! I need to get 57 marks, which is 6 more. I reckon I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Why did you get a 0? If you got 94 UMS in the CA, you'd have an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude I don't know how you didn't get an A*, I read several of your stuff and I know it was better than mine so I fully expecting you to easily get full ums, I'd definitely advise a remark, the examiner was probably going straight to the indicative content list rather than considering what you've actually wrote.
Thx though, in like 3 days worth of revision I went from my year 10 B grade to almost full ums from this thread and your help :smile:.
Ivgot a 0 because I was resitting the exam and carrying forward my controlled assessment from year 10 which had been submitted once before invyear 10. They agrred thatvthe scholvwas allowed to do this bit when actually getting the full grade they didn't acknoledge the year 10 controlled assesment leaving me with no controlled assesment. Theyve now admitted to tjeir mistake and are ammending the error.

I'd like to know in advance what grade this will turn out to be. Do you know how many raw marks 97 ums is then?
Original post by alexkrave
I got A in the coursework (67/80) but I want to get an A* overall. Unfortunately my question 4 messed up 'cos of the timing (was doing 6, 5, 1, 2, 3) and could only make like 2/3 points but I wanted to structure it out as beginning, middle and end. However I could only do begin. and middle. What sort of mark can I be looking at for Q4 then? I know it's hard to judge but the points I made very quite strong. In the mark scheme it says stuff about there being a full and detailed analysis. Would appreciate SEVERAL views on this!

Depends on how many pints you made really. I made 4 in the exam but they spanned 2 pages and I wanted to makec atleast 6. I'd say I got 13 for it because ljkewise I had strong points. I'd say with 2/ strong points you'll be betweenv8-11 depending on quality and length e.g less than a page and the examinrr will hold you prejudice for timing and content.
Original post by lyricalvibe
Dude I don't know how you didn't get an A*, I read several of your stuff and I know it was better than mine so I fully expecting you to easily get full ums, I'd definitely advise a remark, the examiner was probably going straight to the indicative content list rather than considering what you've actually wrote.
Thx though, in like 3 days worth of revision I went from my year 10 B grade to almost full ums from this thread and your help :smile:.
Ivgot a 0 because I was resitting the exam and carrying forward my controlled assessment from year 10 which had been submitted once before invyear 10. They agrred thatvthe scholvwas allowed to do this bit when actually getting the full grade they didn't acknoledge the year 10 controlled assesment leaving me with no controlled assesment. Theyve now admitted to tjeir mistake and are ammending the error.

I'd like to know in advance what grade this will turn out to be. Do you know how many raw marks 97 ums is then?

Did you read what I wrote in the exam? If so, what would you give it? It's on page 37 on the thread, I think. But yeah, I strongly think they made a mistake.

That's so silly of AQA - this shows how ridiculous they are. I don't trust them at all - they even moved my French writing from an A* to a low B :/, leaving me one off an A* :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending