The Student Room Group

When should I start revising?

Hey guys!
So my official GCSE exams are in just over under a year, and I was just wondering; when should I start revising?
Like when did you guys start revising and what grades did you get and stuff?
Don't wanna start too early or too late!
Thanks for your help guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey bud. I presume you're just going in to year 10? Or am I wrong?

I am in year 10 and have a few exams in June.
I started revising around april time.

In all honesty you should be revising constantly, just recapping things you did in lesson etc, making sure they're stuck in your head!

Message me if you need any help whatsoever!
Original post by salmagaf
Hey guys!
So my official GCSE exams are in just over under a year, and I was just wondering; when should I start revising?

You can never start revising 'too early' but most people find that they have revised too late. You should make sure you have revised thoroughly absolutely everything you have done for your courses so far in these holidays because you won't have much time next year, good luck. Go through all past papers, for most subjects I did past papers from 2005 at least 3 times each. The exact questions won't come up but if will give you necessary practice.
Reply 3
Original post by iMacJack
Hey bud. I presume you're just going in to year 10? Or am I wrong?

I am in year 10 and have a few exams in June.
I started revising around april time.

In all honesty you should be revising constantly, just recapping things you did in lesson etc, making sure they're stuck in your head!

Message me if you need any help whatsoever!

Hey haha, and nope I'm in Year 10 and will be going into Year 11 next year..
Unfortunately I have NO exams this year and instead will have to take all next year :frown:
& ahhh right, yeah I know what you mean!
Haha thank you for your help :smile:
Just make sure you pay attention in class and never leave a topic behind you if you haven't fully understand. I started revising during the easter before the exam period, and I did some past papers for most subjects before the mocks during Christmas
Reply 5
Original post by GCSEsitter
You can never start revising 'too early' but most people find that they have revised too late. You should make sure you have revised thoroughly absolutely everything you have done for your courses so far in these holidays because you won't have much time next year, good luck. Go through all past papers, for most subjects I did past papers from 2005 at least 3 times each. The exact questions won't come up but if will give you necessary practice.

Ah I know what you mean, I do occasionally go over things but didn't know whether that was the norm or not.
And ahh right yes thank you so much for your advice :smile:
& I shall! Good luck to you too
Reply 6
Original post by Oz_Vessalius
Just make sure you pay attention in class and never leave a topic behind you if you haven't fully understand. I started revising during the easter before the exam period, and I did some past papers for most subjects before the mocks during Christmas

Aw thank you and yes! I will do, thanks for the advice :smile: (and good luck if you're taking any exams)
September/October

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hey guys!

When you get in year 11 just pay attention in class and make sure you understand, you could do one page a day 6 months advance to the exam and then in final 2 months do full on revising , it helped me and im predicted A/A*s . Hope i helped :smile: good luck!
I've never stopped revising.
Hey guys!

Start straight after the summer holidays. Make little notes after every class and then few months before your exams you will have notes that can be re-written and revised from!:smile: good luck. Starting early is always the best option. Look at specifications and tick off tge things you get done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work through the full course right from the start. Be an "engaged" learner. Take control. It is your life nobody elses.
Reply 12
I always used to leave it to the last minute - don't!

I remember someone saying to me when I was in year ten "never leave it until the last minute" which is honestly the best advice anyone could give for gcses.

One tip: if you dont understand something in class, go home and revise it that same day instead of thinking "oh I'll just cover it when I start my revision".

You can never start too early. It REALLY pays off to to start as soon as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Just pay maximum attention in class. Ask the teacher after class if you are ever unsure about anything taught in class and make sure to understand everything on that very same day.

That's what I've always done. I didn't do any proper revision for any test or practice exam and I always came out with A* and As except for English lol.

In Year 10, that's the only thing you have to do. You may want to start revising in Year 11 though :P
near the end of year 10 going to year 11 is the best time for you to revise.Take it from someone doing their GCSE right now in year 11 otherwise you'll be panicking before every exam and getting seriously stressed.If not the end of year 10 you defo need to start at the start of year 11 you will have alot of content to cover and during exams theres no breaks so it will be nonstop from week 1.

If you need anymore advice your welcome to PM me.
Reply 15
Original post by violetvictorious
September/October

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sophsha
When you get in year 11 just pay attention in class and make sure you understand, you could do one page a day 6 months advance to the exam and then in final 2 months do full on revising , it helped me and im predicted A/A*s . Hope i helped :smile: good luck!

Original post by TheSweatyNerd
I've never stopped revising.

Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Start straight after the summer holidays. Make little notes after every class and then few months before your exams you will have notes that can be re-written and revised from!:smile: good luck. Starting early is always the best option. Look at specifications and tick off tge things you get done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Old_Simon
Work through the full course right from the start. Be an "engaged" learner. Take control. It is your life nobody elses.

Original post by sma0712
I always used to leave it to the last minute - don't!

I remember someone saying to me when I was in year ten "never leave it until the last minute" which is honestly the best advice anyone could give for gcses.

One tip: if you dont understand something in class, go home and revise it that same day instead of thinking "oh I'll just cover it when I start my revision".

You can never start too early. It REALLY pays off to to start as soon as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by C0balt
Just pay maximum attention in class. Ask the teacher after class if you are ever unsure about anything taught in class and make sure to understand everything on that very same day.

That's what I've always done. I didn't do any proper revision for any test or practice exam and I always came out with A* and As except for English lol.

In Year 10, that's the only thing you have to do. You may want to start revising in Year 11 though :P

Awwww thank you so much guys!
I really appreciate the great response I have had :')
& I will take what you have all said and start revising in year 11! I do try and pay attention in class mostly and ask when I'm stuck but I will really buckle down next year.
Good luck on all your exams too guys! Thanks again :smile:
I'm going to disagree with the others here to be honest. I would say don't start revising until January of the year you will sit the exams, so Jan 2015 for you :smile: the reason why I say this is because only a few people actually start revising before easter- starting in January will give you the perfect amount of time. I started in January and have been doing revision every day I can and now its may half term, I have done over 2/3 of my exams and I am burned out :frown: I was doing 7 hour days at the start of may and now I struggle to do 4 hours. Honestly, there is not enough content to learn at gcse level to start in September. You will peak to soon and become demotivated. Trust me, I said that once I had covered everthing, I would spend the last period of time just reading over it again, but when you know it, it is so hard to get yourself to reread it as it is essentially pointless. Up until January just listen in class and do your homework. I was eager to start and I am honestly on my last legs in terms of revision, so please please please don't start at the start of year 11 :frown: it's so frustrating when you peak to soon and are doing better in past papers in march than you do in the real thing :frown: anyway, best of luck and start in January! More than enough time! :biggrin:
Original post by easyaspirsquared
I'm going to disagree with the others here to be honest. I would say don't start revising until January of the year you will sit the exams, so Jan 2015 for you :smile: the reason why I say this is because only a few people actually start revising before easter- starting in January will give you the perfect amount of time. I started in January and have been doing revision every day I can and now its may half term, I have done over 2/3 of my exams and I am burned out :frown: I was doing 7 hour days at the start of may and now I struggle to do 4 hours. Honestly, there is not enough content to learn at gcse level to start in September. You will peak to soon and become demotivated. Trust me, I said that once I had covered everthing, I would spend the last period of time just reading over it again, but when you know it, it is so hard to get yourself to reread it as it is essentially pointless. Up until January just listen in class and do your homework. I was eager to start and I am honestly on my last legs in terms of revision, so please please please don't start at the start of year 11 :frown: it's so frustrating when you peak to soon and are doing better in past papers in march than you do in the real thing :frown: anyway, best of luck and start in January! More than enough time! :biggrin:

Agree with this 100%. I personally started revising at the end of March and was done far before my exams. It is the worst feeling when you know you've peaked way too early and can't bring yourself to do long hours anymore :/ Definitely don't start revising at the beginning of the year though, there just isn't enough content in GCSE to do so :/
Hey guys!

Start revising as soon as you can and make it effective learning, which i had! I started way too late now i am getting really stressed and everything because i have to cramm all my revision and by not having much time to do anything other than this! :frown:
Original post by thechemistress
Agree with this 100%. I personally started revising at the end of March and was done far before my exams. It is the worst feeling when you know you've peaked way too early and can't bring yourself to do long hours anymore :/ Definitely don't start revising at the beginning of the year though, there just isn't enough content in GCSE to do so :/

:biggrin: thanks

Quick Reply

Latest